RNY revision to more extensive RNY. ANY EXPERIENCES?

(deactivated member)
on 5/7/10 4:14 pm - San Jose, CA
Ask your surgeon if s/he is planning to a version of the Scopinaro procedure.  If the answer is yes, I would run FAR FAR AWAY.  You need to fully understand that there is NO further revision possible from a Scopinaro -- the distal portion of the stomach, the pyloric valve, and the duodenum are REMOVED -- and there is no going back.  And it has a pretty poor track record.  The DS, with a fully functional stomach, rather than a large pouch and removal of functional parts of the stomach, pyloris and duodenum, is essentially reversible (with the exception of the essentially redundant baggy outer curvature of the stomach).

As you have been told above, surgeons with limited skills will only offer you what they know how to do.  You should at LEAST have a consult with Dr. David Greenbaum in NJ, who is one of the best revision surgeons in the country.  And he is capable of doing a proper DS revision.
(deactivated member)
on 5/8/10 1:35 pm - Bayonne, NJ
I have to echo Diana. Please, send your records to Dr. Greenbaum at the very least. Let him look. He's one of the best revision surgeons in the country and he can tell you what you will and won't be able to do. He pulls no punches, he's very honest.

I revised last December from an RNY with a band around the stoma. I was worried that it couldn't be done, since the band had to be excised. I'm amazed at how much better off I am, with no more esophageal scarring.

I wish you all the luck in the world. The failure isn't your fault, it was your surgery. I hope that you can have the best revision possible.
StacysMom
on 5/9/10 5:53 am, edited 5/9/10 5:56 am
 I tried to figure out what her doctor (Dr. Partridge) is proposing, so I found the doctor's website and here is their selection of surgical options:

www.nwh.org/clinical-centers/center-for-weight-loss-surgery/ treatment/surgical-treatment-options/

It clearly says that they do not perform the BPD or the lapband, but they DO perform the VSG.  Their website also states that "the procedure is considered investigational unless used as the first stage of a two-part treatment. It is usually considered for patients with a BMI of 60 or higher. The sleeve gastrectomy will allow patients to lose enough weight to become eligible for other weight loss surgery options."

They seem a little behind the times if they are primarily considering sleeves for the SMO patient only - and still view this surgery as "investigational".    Or, maybe they just need to update their website.

MDG213
on 5/9/10 7:21 am - santa maria, CA
Hi" my name is Miguel, me too this is the first time posting,I had RNY about 4 years ago. I was at 475 lbs.and after my surgery I lost some weight I got down to about 275 lbs, I still have kept up with my visits with my surgeon. unfortunately I have been dealing with a lot of stomach pain and GERD.I have been regaining my weight in the past 2 years I am back at 350 plus lbs.My surgeon Dr.Kelvin Higa from FRESNO CA, (ALSA MEDICAL) is recomending a revision on my first surgery  due to increasing medical issues that are coming along with the weight regain I have a hiatus hernia,I am getting such a difficult time with my insurance I currently ANTHEM BLUE CROSS OF CA an HMO.I have recieved a denial letter from my medical group stating the lack of medical nesessity. If there is anyone that has any information in regards to getting these insurance companys to be of more help or if there is any information that can be included in the appeals process .

Getting Desperate...........
MIGUEL
Monique H.
on 5/10/10 4:45 am

Miguel do you mind me asking what you are trying to get revised to? I was just wondering since you are so close to Dr. Kasheshian who many have said he is a great revision surgeon. I can't tell you how successful ds revision is because I haven't had it yet. There is a lot of good information out there though that suggest that it is the best route to go. I'll be able to tell you more if my insurance approves another revision.

When my medical group denied me Blueshield submitted an appeal to them for me and they approved it right away. I really did nothing. Do you still have other comorbitities? You would think that GERD and stomach pain would be enough to get them to approve it. If I were you I would call Blue Cross and see what they say. Always appeal and make sure you document everything that is still wrong with you.

WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
kylee
on 5/11/10 10:41 pm
Biliopancreatic diversion bypass (BPD) is less common than other gastric bypass bariatric surgeries and performed through traditional open surgery. Biliopancreatic diversion changes the normal process of digestion by making the stomach smaller and directing the food to bypass part of the small intestine, thus fewer calories and nutrients from food are absorbed.
Health is important!

Most Active