Another band to rny question...slow loss for revision??

Mary B.
on 5/5/10 4:12 am - Southern, MD
So, Im wanting a revision from my band to rny. Ive been doing lots of research and I read a technical article that said something like...

weight loss after revisioning from the band to the rny is moderate in comparison to just the rny

I cant find the darn article now. Just curious...does anyone who has had the band revised to rny feel like their loss has been slower than normal/average?

I ask cause Im really struggling to lose with the band and Id hate to fight for a revision only to feel like a failure again.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

USAF Wife
on 5/5/10 1:42 pm
My surgeon warned me that revision patients in general do not lose at the same pace as virgin WLS patients. Well, I proved him wrong with my sleeve revision. I lost 113lbs in 6.5 month**** goal, and have lost about 27lbs over the last 3.5-4 months. I've lost just as much if not more than some first WLS patients with RNY/Sleeve that started off with close to my same stats. The main reason I think I did much better with the sleeve is because my body didn't like the pouch thing. It likes the normal stomach thing, and that was one of my deciding factors for my revision.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

JROLFSON
on 5/6/10 2:54 am - St. George, UT
Hi Mary:

I haven't had a band but I have had (2) Revisions. My first surgery was stomach stapling which came apart.  I originally lost 111 lbs with the stapling. After it came apart and I regained up to 216 lbs I was revised to the RNY. The stapling and RNY are very similar to each other and I still lost another 100 lbs. after the revision to RNY.

Back in May of 2009 I had a Revision to ERNY and it will be a year on the 25th. Do date I have lost 65 lbs. I'm now down to 149. So I believe it has to do with the individual more than the procedure. Revisions do and can work.

Janie
JEN_42080
on 5/6/10 5:49 am
Hello...

Totally understand where you are coming from. I went from a band to rny in Feb.  I have lost but not has fast as a person just having rny.  It is a struggle somedays.  

Jennifer 
brandyII
on 5/7/10 3:55 am
I had my revision from band to RNY in June but considering the fact I never lost with the band and started to gain instead I thought I did well.  Also I am at an age which I think would slow any weightloss, now 50.  I also have had about 4 leg procedures since January of this year up to present day and since January my weight loss has tapered off.  I'm fine with it though because I never expected to get pencil thin and exercise most days of the week and just feel much better/healthier.  I'm sure it depends on the person whether or not you'll lose fast but I think I was pretty normal considering I was a revisioner.  Good luck to you Nancy.
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

Mosley
on 5/9/10 4:55 am
My doctor told me AFTER the surgery from band to RNY that the weight loss wont be the same as a person who has not had prior failed surgery. I dont know WHY this is. I wish someone had told me that before the band and also before the RNY. Not that I wouldnt have had the surgery but I just wished I had known. Im sure it isnt always the case and I would love to hear if other people have experience with this. I am three weeks out so I dont really know what my outcome will be.
Mary B.
on 5/10/10 12:44 am - Southern, MD
Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate the input!

I guess it really doesnt matter if its slower than the other RNYs considering Im not losing anything now! I go back today to see my surgeon again. I am prepared to plead my case and I have my UGI results that show a POSSIBLE slip and definate hernia. I want to be able to workout more and Im on MORE meds than I was before banding. I dont mind another diet...just this is another failed diet, but this time cost me $18000.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

emjayel56
on 5/10/10 3:46 am - Boynton Beach,, FL

Mary,

I had a revision from band to RNY last August.  I probably did lose slower than a person getting a bypass but I dont' care.  I am below my goal weight, all the band health issues are gone and i feel wonderful.  I have lost a total of 151 lbs. (about 90+ of that is since the bypass 8  months ago ... lost about 50 lbs with the band over an 8 year period).  I feel great; wish I would have done the bypass from day 1.  I now weigh 138 lbs (below goal) and still losing.  All the best to you always.

Maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

chelle614
on 5/18/10 3:42 am - Chester, NY
Yes, it is slower. But I also think it has a lot to do with how much you need to lose. I had my RNY 5 weeks ago, and have only lost 8 lbs. I need to lose about 25 more. This has been upsetting to me, especially since I am following all the rules. Summer is almost here and I resent that I will probably have to go buy  whole new wardrobe 3 sizes bigger than the one that I already have.

M/C 10/18/10  9w2d...forever loved

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
                                                      It's a boy!

Most Active