Revision from RNY to Distal Gastric Bypass

Tiggy
on 5/3/10 10:17 pm - Rowlett, TX
 What should I expect and is it worth it, is there other options?

I had Lap RNY September 2007.. I lost around 250lbs since then. I now weigh 305lbs so I still got a lot to lose.. My surgeon has only talked to me about Distal Gastric Bypass for my revision and told me the side-effects how my "gas" would be more foul smelling and I'd be in the bathroom going "number 2" about 5 times a day and I'd have to up the dose of my vitamins by a lot.

He also told me the weight loss would be slow and unpredictable and may have to go in for day surgery to revise the revision if I am not losing enough weight or am losing too much.. He didn't tell me how much I would lose, or how fast cause of how unpredictable it is..

So all this is making me think "Wow.. is this worth it cause it sounds pretty BAD" I want to lose 150more lbs. I want to weight around 150-170lbs..

I hear most people get a revision from RNY to a DS.. So I am wondering why my surgeon didn't tell me about revising to a DS..

I'm going to see him again May 6th but I was hoping for some info from you guys about what to expect, why he wants to do the DTS instead of the DS

And also I would love to hear from anyone who has RNY to DTS revision..
or anyone who had DTS and would tell me how post-op living is.. with the bathroom problem and how much they're losing, etc..
(deactivated member)
on 5/4/10 1:43 am - Bayonne, NJ
The RNY surgeons won't tell you to revise to a DS because they don't do it. There are only about 4-5 DS surgeons who specialize in revisions.

With the RNY revision, all they do is go in and hack out more intestine, and maybe tighten the pouch. People who have done it have been unhappy.

Check into a DS revision. Ask on the DS board, get opinions on surgeons there.  Non DSers will warn you away from a DS with the same type of "foul smelling gas, living in the bathroom" posts, but it's not true.  The only people experiencing that are the ones who a. don't stick to the diet or b. have a bad infection. 

If your BMI was that high I really wish you had been steered to the DS back then. I know I wish I had been able to have a DS instead of RNY back in 2003.

There's someone on here who had the RNY revision to an extended RNY, and she's now revising to a DS because of complications. I hope she sees this and responds to you.
JRinAZ
on 5/4/10 2:59 am - Layton, UT
On May 4, 2010 at 5:17 AM Pacific Time, Jesse W. wrote:
 What should I expect and is it worth it, is there other options?

I had Lap RNY September 2007.. I lost around 250lbs since then. I now weigh 305lbs so I still got a lot to lose.. My surgeon has only talked to me about Distal Gastric Bypass for my revision and told me the side-effects how my "gas" would be more foul smelling and I'd be in the bathroom going "number 2" about 5 times a day and I'd have to up the dose of my vitamins by a lot.

He also told me the weight loss would be slow and unpredictable and may have to go in for day surgery to revise the revision if I am not losing enough weight or am losing too much.. He didn't tell me how much I would lose, or how fast cause of how unpredictable it is..

So all this is making me think "Wow.. is this worth it cause it sounds pretty BAD" I want to lose 150more lbs. I want to weight around 150-170lbs..

I hear most people get a revision from RNY to a DS.. So I am wondering why my surgeon didn't tell me about revising to a DS..

I'm going to see him again May 6th but I was hoping for some info from you guys about what to expect, why he wants to do the DTS instead of the DS

And also I would love to hear from anyone who has RNY to DTS revision..
or anyone who had DTS and would tell me how post-op living is.. with the bathroom problem and how much they're losing, etc..
I started with proximal Rny in 2003
I revised to Distal (my surgeon called it an Extended Rny = ERny) in 2007
Had ongoing complications.  Those "bad" side effects your doc mentioned X 100!!!
Your doc doesn't do the Duodenal Switch so he/she won't promote it.  My past revision surgeon doesn't do a DS as a revision either so of course his "expert" advice was to have the surgery that he does do!  BAD biz! 

I'm scheduled with Dr. Ara Keshishian for next Weds the 12th for a revision to a DS!!!!   He's one of the very few who takes on high risk cases like mine and helps us get our life back! 

Check out www.dsfacts.com  Don't invite trouble and a crummy lifestyle.  Find a DS surgeon and get the results you're after with a higher quality of life!  There are a few who do fine with the Distal/Extended but why take a chance when something better is available?

Good luck and kudos to you on your accomplishment so far!!!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

cboone
on 11/4/14 9:23 pm

How did it go? How is the weight loss? How much did he charge? Do you recommend him and DS  rvision?

Monique H.
on 5/4/10 9:31 am
I was revised to distal and I've lost about 36 pounds and kept it off since Jan 13 2009. Definitely not worth it. I'm now seeking revision to ds with Dr. Keshishian. Definitely check into revision to ds if you a lot of weight to lose.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
JRinAZ
on 5/4/10 2:51 pm - Layton, UT
On May 4, 2010 at 4:31 PM Pacific Time, Monique H. wrote:
I was revised to distal and I've lost about 36 pounds and kept it off since Jan 13 2009. Definitely not worth it. I'm now seeking revision to ds with Dr. Keshishian. Definitely check into revision to ds if you a lot of weight to lose.
Wooooo HOOOOOO Monique!

You and I will get lucky with # THREE and Dr. K!!!!  Mine is next Weds the 12th!!!!  Bummer we didn't go that way with # 1 surgery, right?!!!

Good luck!
Joyce 

Monique H.
on 5/5/10 1:08 am
I sure hope so Joyce. I just hope my insurance doesn't kick me in the face as I'm trying to get up. At least that is what it will feel like if they deny me . Congrats on your approval!!! I hope to be coming right after you. I have a question though. Will you end up losing more weight when you have it done or will him lengthening your cc keep you from that?
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
JRinAZ
on 5/5/10 8:24 am - Layton, UT
I HOPE I lose more weight!  .... I"ve purposesly been packing it on, knowing that surgery would kick my behind for a while.  If I lose  15 then I"ll be right where I want to be.  ...  Battle that insurance if they deny.  I appealed and WON!  .....Keep in touch and hopefully you'll be just behind me with your date!

Joyce 

katiekat412
on 5/19/13 11:00 am
Hi there! What was your BMI when you got insurance approval for revision to DS?

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

shele
on 5/5/10 8:55 am

Monique and Joyce!!

I am so glad for you both!  My loss has been very dissapointing to me too Monique, I have lost 50 through the process, but am pretty much stalled for the last few months.  I am low on d, calcium going up, with high pth levels which doc says means calcium coming from my bones... oh joy! 

I so bad want to revise to the ds, and It makes me upset that my doc is very capable of doing the full revision , and used to do it, but not anymore.  I knew when I did this last surgery that I truly wanted the ds, but let fear keep me from it... I had wound complications for 7 months after...

OP>>> please research.. you have alot to loose yet, and you need the best possible outcome and long term results!

Good Luck to all of you!!!!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Most Active