VBG revised to DS - 15 month update

isaiah54mom
on 5/3/10 4:08 am - bartlesville, OK
Hi everyone. Its been a while since I checked in. I had my revision from the VBG to the DS on 01/29/09. Today 5/3/10 I weigh 202 lbs. I cannot believe I am only 3 lbs away from one-derville.
I weighed 354 on the day of surgery. I have lost 152 lbs. I am overcome with joy re: my DS and I am very grateful.  However, I have been very down mentally because I lost my beloved dog  GEO of 10 1/2 years, suddenly 2 weeks ago. Pics of him  are in my profile  I am grate ful that he passed quickly and I did not have to make a decision to put him down. It has really hit me hard and I have an appointment to see someone tomorrow. I think there may be other things going on with me and this just kinda nudged me over the edge. Say a little prayer for me if you have time. Its funny I always thought if I could just lose the weight the world would become right. I guess its a lot more complicated than that. Peace Mz jojo

HW/ SW/CW/GW
427+/427/148/150

KARD
on 5/3/10 4:41 am
What would be a reason for a revision? I'm nearly 4 years out and finally feeling good. Exercising and eating well. My problem is I've gained serious weight in the past 6 months. I'm talking 35#. How is that even possible?
MsBatt
on 5/4/10 4:00 am
Revisions are done for a number of reasons. Regain, never having lost enough weight, mechanical failure, digestive problems, etc.

Which form of WLS did you have? I see your surgeon only does the Band and the RNY, and regain is fairly common after either of these procedures. I'm going to assume you had the RNY, sine that's what he's done the most of.

This regain can be anywhere from 10-15% of the excess weight lost, all the way to regaining all or even more than was lost. How? Because over time, the pouch stretches, malabsorption of calories goes away, and it's easy to fall back into bad habits.

Both the Band and the RNY can be revised to the DS, and sometimes the Band is added over the RNY to restore restriction. The DS actually gives less restriction than a 'virgin' RNY, but greater, PERMANENT malabsorption of calories, and makes a dramatic, permanent change in one's metabolism.
KARD
on 5/4/10 11:53 pm
I did have RNY but what I don't understand is why the sudden gain...it's been 4 years and I'm doing everything I'm supposed to be doing.
I have appts set up with the surgeon, my primary and my gyn. just to cover all the bases. I'm also going to ask to be checked for thyroid conditions. I've never had issues but ....

isaiah54mom
on 5/4/10 4:50 am - bartlesville, OK
LOL @ what would be the reason for a revision. Gurl..I weighed 354 lbs the day of revision surgery.  I gained 175 lbs after my VBG and I was constantly throwing up. (22 years) I would have had the surgery just to get the band removed.  VBG was the only procedure 20 years ago. I was so happy when i came to OH and found out about the DS. It fits me just fine and I have the results to prove it. I want to lost another 50 lbs but my DR. says thats too much. I am just gonna let my body have the final say. If I could afford plastics i would be happy where I am.but since I can't I will see if some of these bulges shrink if I lose some more. Peace JOJO

HW/ SW/CW/GW
427+/427/148/150

Lorie2
on 5/3/10 12:29 pm
I hope you get the help you need. Its very traumatic to lose a pet after that long. Prayers are being sent your way. Good luck to you.
Lori
isaiah54mom
on 5/4/10 4:51 am - bartlesville, OK
Thank you so much. I appreciate prayer and I believe in the power. JOJO

HW/ SW/CW/GW
427+/427/148/150

MsBatt
on 5/4/10 3:53 am
Go out and get yourself a new furbaby---it really does help. They love us so unconditionally, so purely. My Sydney made it to 16. I lost her in Sept. of '07, and I STILL miss her, even though I have three dogs now.
isaiah54mom
on 5/4/10 4:53 am - bartlesville, OK
I need some counseling right now. I know I am hurting from losing Geo but I also think I have some other issues. Geo had a companion (Nahlah). She is 9. I still have her. I am going to wait a while because I do not want to inroduce another dog too soon. Thanks for you empathy and response. peace JOJO

HW/ SW/CW/GW
427+/427/148/150

Most Active