Need revision from slipped lapband to RNY - scared

cmae
on 5/1/10 10:56 am - Ardmore, PA
I am 44 years old and had my LapBand put in about 2.5 years ago. Lost almost 50 lbs, but never had a consistent experience with the fills. I been vomiting more and more, and gained 17 lbs back over the past year. I need to have revision surgery and my dr. (Dr. Bessler in NYC) has suggested replacement (but cannot guarantee this wont happed again), RNY, or a sleeve. I definitely dont want another band. It hs been too difficult emotionally and physically to deal with the complications and weight creep (also low-grade pain in my side that is constant). I am leaning toward RNY, but am so nervous about it. I have about 80 lbs to lose (started 240, now 207). Would definitely appreciate any sharing from someone who has had a similar experience. Also, anyone know of any support groups in the greater Philadelphia area? I tried meet-up but there arent any groups. We moved here last year from NYC. Thanks...
tmjuarez
on 5/1/10 11:31 am - Arlington, TX
Hi there...i have had my lap-band for 6 yrs this past March. I have had issues with the fills, unfills, stretched out pouches, reflux, regurgitation. I lost 90 pound over the six years but I have put it all back on. I am having my revision to RNY on Friday..I cannot wait. i hope you come your decision with ease, please remember this is YOUR decision to make. People can offer their opinions based on their experiences, but it is up  you to do all the research and come to the best option for you.

Good luck!
Teresa

emjayel56
on 5/3/10 9:14 pm - Boynton Beach,, FL
I too had a lapband (actually two lapbands).  Neither produced a large weight loss and both caused medical problems.  Revised to RNY bypass in August 2009.  Have lost all my weight, reached goal at 138 lbs (lost 151 lbs altogether).  No complications from the revision which was done laparascopically.  I love the RNY.  Have no medical issues and enjoying my new life.  My only regret was not doing the bypass from day 1.  Good luck to you.  Maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

hollyberries
on 5/5/10 9:20 am - Carver, MA
Amen!  Maryjo...couldn't have said it better.
Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

MsBatt
on 5/4/10 3:50 am
Do yourself a favor, and research the DS as well. How far are you from Dr. Greenbaum? He's a well-respected revision surgeon---which is what you need---and is very experienced with the DS.
hollyberries
on 5/5/10 9:21 am - Carver, MA
Do it...it will be the best decision you will ever make.  Remember, you didn't fail the band...the band failed you.

Best wishes,
Cindy
Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

USAF Wife
on 5/5/10 1:52 pm, edited 5/5/10 1:53 pm
You couldn't pay me to get another band once I started having complications. I revised to VSG and it's been absolutely amazing. I'm 11 months out, and have lost 140lbs in that time. RNY did not appeal to me for several reasons, but the main reason is because my body didn't like the pouch that the band gave me, I doubt it would like the pouch with RNY. That's just one of the many reasons I chose VSG. I did not entertain the idea of DS, but did research it. I knew that I didn't need malabsorption to be successful and change my relationship with food.

Do your research, and do what is best for your future health and lifestyle.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Emily F.
on 5/8/10 2:34 am
Every surgery has pros and cons. If you need to take nsaids or want to eat sugar or deal with a pouch or stoma, get sleeve or ds. If you don't think you can keep up with vitamins get sleeve. Research ALL your options and see what fits your lifestyle.
Most Active