GAINING AFTER SURGERY

justdeb
on 4/29/10 2:32 am - Eagle River, WI
HI: 

JUST WANTED TO POST THIS FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE OUT THERE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE HECK WENT WRONG WITH THEIR RNY GASTRIC BYPASS.

FIRST OF ALL, LET ME SAY THIS IS NOT MEANT TO AT ALL DISCOURAGE YOU OR ENCOURAGE YOU BUT MERELY TO GIVE YOU MY STORY.  ALSO, ALL YOU DS'RS...NO SLIGHT TO YOU AS WELL...I HAVE IMMENSE ADMIRATION FOR YOUR DECISION....DS IS JUST NOT THE RIGHT DECISION FOR ME.

ANYWAY, ABOUT 8 MONTHS OUT FROM MY RNY I STOPPED LOSING WEIGHT.  I HELD MY OWN FOR AWHILE AND NOW HAVE GAINED 40+ POUNDS BACK.  (MY RNY SURGERY WAS DONE IN SEPT. OF 2005) 

I JUST THOUGH IT WAS MY FAULT....AND TRUTHFULLY I DO HAVE TO ACCEPT SOME OF THE BLAME....BUT I WAS CONTINUOUSLY HUNGRY ...JUST DID NOT STAY FULL.  SO I HAD A SCOPING DONE AND FOUND OUT THAT MY POUCH WAS LEFT TOO BIG AND SO WAS MY STOMA.  NOT SURE AT THIS POINT IF THE INTESTINE PART NEEDS TO BE ADJUSTED AS WELL.. I WILL ASK THE DOCTOR ON MY PRE OP APPOINTMENT.   I REALLY AM NOT BLAMING MY ORIGINAL DOCTOR, I JUST THINK THINGS HAVE PROGRESSED A LOT IN THE LAST 5 YEARS.

SO, MY NEW DOCTOR SAID...AND I QUOTE...."YOU WERE DOOMED TO FAIL"    AND THE FAILING IS THE RESULT OF THE FIRST SURGERY NOT BEING ADEQUATE IN THE FIRST PLACE.  SO NEXT MONTH I WILL PROCEED TO GET THIS CORRECTED... A REVISION TO MY RNY IS MY CHOICE....DS JUST WAS NOT WHAT I WANTED....BUT IS A WONDERFUL PROCEDURE.

ANYWAY, THE POINT OF THIS POST IS TO TELL ALL YOU OUT THERE WONDERING WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO TRUST IN YOURSELF AND CHECK THINGS OUT TO SEE IF THERE IS SOMETHING THAT CAN BE DONE......REVISION OF THE RNY OR A DS....WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU.

YOU ARE WORTH IT AND NEED TO TAKE AN ACTIVE ROLL IN THIS PROCESS !!

THANKS FOR LISTENING,

DEB
Moonlight12
on 4/29/10 12:35 pm
Good Luck!!
Debbiejean
on 4/29/10 10:20 pm - Shelbyville, MI
Deb,
Good luck, sounds like you have an excellent head on your shoulders.

I'm a revision to RNY, had my stomach stapled in 1980.
Yes indeed you are not a failure.
Hold your head up high and keep smiling. This time around you will succeed. You will be a success and now especially now love yourself and YOU are a success!!

May you have a speedy recovery. Great big hugs to  you! -Another Deb!
justdeb
on 4/29/10 10:52 pm - Eagle River, WI
Hi Deb:

Thanks so much.  I am excited....just can't go back to where I was.

The best to you as well.

Deb
Debbiejean
on 4/29/10 11:01 pm - Shelbyville, MI
You will do great, I just know it.
May you have a peaceful weekend.
I'm getting my hair colored tomorrow then it's rush to support group. Long drive but so worth it.
Little-Ladybug
on 4/29/10 11:31 pm - Chatom, AL
Hi Deb.  Another Deb here....
I have a question.  Did you get insurance approval for the revision?  What steps or "hoops" did you go through to get approved?  I am really thinking I may look into this if I can get approved.  I had RNY 7/2004.  I lost 111 pounds and have regained 43 pounds.
Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.
  ladybugline.gif picture by firefly58
       http://jimmyanddebbieroberts.com/               
justdeb
on 4/29/10 11:43 pm - Eagle River, WI
Hi Another Deb....we are popular...aren't we !!!

Yes I had to go thru 6 months with a nutritionist and also saw the doctor the first month.  Then the Doctor did a scoping to see what I had.  I still don't know if he will be adjusting the intestinal length at all....I will ask him that at the preop appointment.  We had so much to talk about after the scoping I just forgot to ask him about that part. Then my insurance approved it in just over a week.  We have wonderful insurance and I am sooooo lucky. 

I really was sort of down on myself for gaining the weight and I do accept 50 % responsibility and need to really work on exercise and what I am eating....but it is somewhat comforting to know it is not all my fault.

Good luck and let me know what is happening with you.

Thanks,
Deb
JustMe70
on 4/30/10 5:00 am
Your story is so similar to mine however my original surgery was in 2000.  I have been seeking revision for over three years and no one would listen to me that the hunger just would not go away.  I felt so validated after the scope and have since found a surgeon to do a revision I think it is known as an ERNY oe RNY but my surgeon refers to it as a BPD.  I am now seriously fighting the insurance comapny who pulled the plus 48 hours before the operation.  I have taken all of the steps of Appeal and am one week away from an answer aftert aking the appeal as far as I can.  I actually have requested the assistance of my US Senator to advocate on my behalf and she has been wonderful in corresponding with me about this whole mess. 

I cannot believe how hard it has been for me to get this fixed. 

Good luck to you. 
justdeb
on 4/30/10 6:13 am - Eagle River, WI

HI

KEEP FIGHTING ..... IT WILL BE WORTH IT. 

GOOD LUCK TO YOU TO,

DEB

JustMe70
on 4/30/10 6:21 am
sorry for all of the typos.  I am at work and was typing fast because of noey people!
Most Active