Smoking and upcoming revision

lbaa
on 4/28/10 12:53 pm - MA
I am scheduled for revision on 05/24 to have my band removed and switch to RNY. This is not something that I wanted however since my band was placed in 11/06 I have had a great number of difficulties and my surgeon feels that this has to be done or at the very least the band must come out. The problem is that I have been a smoker most of my life with having quit for 3 years and relapsed about a year ago and no matter what I try I can't seem to stop. I know that I must do this for many reasons it's just one last thing that I can't seem to control. My surgeon knows that I have been battling this but I am concerned now that at me anestesiology post op, they will refuse my surgery even if I am two weeks "sober". 

Bottom line, did anyone smoke up until surgery? I am not looking for validation but I just need to know if I am the only one in the world that is / has gone through this?
lady-luck
on 4/29/10 12:43 am - Orange, CA
I am not saying it was right but I smoked up to the morning of my surgery. I am a fairly heavy smoker and if I try to cut down I end up smoking more so I kept with my normal amount. My surgeon knew I smoked and the only thing I will tell you to do is to be truthful if asked by the anethatist (sp) how many you smoke so they know to give you enough oxygen.
Having said all that, some surgeons refuse to operate until you have quit, and if you have a partner who smokes, that can be harder to do.

Good luck
Myra
lbaa
on 4/29/10 2:45 am - MA
Thank you for your honesty I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. My husband doesn't smoke and hates it not to mention my children have no idea (closet smoker). How are you doing now? If you ended up going back how soon was it? I really want to believe that I can kick this but I feel completely powerless.
lady-luck
on 4/29/10 3:11 am - Orange, CA
I didnt want a smoke after and managed to go 6 days without one!!!! But that old ugly dirty habit is so hard to break. When the time is right, it will happen.

Good luck
Myra
lbaa
on 4/29/10 6:31 am - MA
Myra -
Just curious what surgery you started with and what you revised to?
lady-luck
on 4/29/10 7:48 am - Orange, CA
I started with the sleeve being done in Mexico in 2007 but it slipped and Kaiser removed it and made the sleeve.
kjfras
on 4/29/10 8:25 am - North Lauderdale, FL
Hello!  I can understand your frustration with the smoking.  I have been an on again off again smoker for the last 13 yrs.  Currently I've been OFF for 3 yrs....who knows when it will rear it's ugly head again!

I'm going to be very truthful when I tell you this and please keep in mind it is only 1 persons experience and that all people are different.

A friend of mine who smoked probably about 1 pack a day who had the RNY surgery the same week as me decided that she didn't need to stop smoking ahead of time.  She lied to the doctor and didn't tell him she didn't quit as he said he would not operate until your were 3 weeks smoke-free.  Well, needless to say, she ended up in the ICU unit for 3 weeks - had severe pneumonia in both lungs, had to be hooked up to a ventilator 2 out of the 3 weeks.  She eventually recovered...but it was touch and go there for awhile.

Take it how you want, but I would do everything in your power to try to quit or cut back to almost nothing - and most of all, be honest with your doctor and your anethesiologist.  It's your life you are talking about in their hands and they can't treat you properly unless they know the truth.

Good luck hun, I know it's gonna be hard but you can do it!!

Kerry J                   Stillhopefull (Terry) is my Angel!!!! 
                                                    Angel to Baylady35310 (Linda)
7/9/01 RNY - 354 HW down to 192 LW
12/6/10 DS Revision - GW 170
DS HW 353
DS SW 332

DS CW 184 (-148 since surgery / -169 total) 

Plastics completed by Dr.Sauceda in MX 8/9/13 - LBL w anchor cut, long thigh lift, breast lift, butt augmentation and arm lift.               

lbaa
on 4/30/10 4:38 am - MA
I appreciate your honesty. I am meeting with the anestisiologist on the 10th so we'll see if I even pass this test. My surgery is scheduled for 05/24 so I am hoping that they will still proceed if I am "clean" for 24 days. I currently smoke about two packs a week.
kjfras
on 4/30/10 5:41 am - North Lauderdale, FL
Good luck on the test!  I had to take a breathing test yesterday, everything went well but I was getting dizzy after taking so many deep breaths and I kept f'ing up the stupid test because I didn't blow hard enough or long enough so the machine wouldn't read it.  I hope yours turns out better!

You aren't smoking too much now so hopefully you'll do fine.  Just be honest with everyone and do what they tell you!

Good luck on your surgery date too!  I'm still waiting for mine - most likely June or July...arrgghhh

Take care! 

Kerry J                   Stillhopefull (Terry) is my Angel!!!! 
                                                    Angel to Baylady35310 (Linda)
7/9/01 RNY - 354 HW down to 192 LW
12/6/10 DS Revision - GW 170
DS HW 353
DS SW 332

DS CW 184 (-148 since surgery / -169 total) 

Plastics completed by Dr.Sauceda in MX 8/9/13 - LBL w anchor cut, long thigh lift, breast lift, butt augmentation and arm lift.               

Most Active