I need 30 seconds of your time, please help make school lunches healthier for our kids

Lori Black
on 4/28/10 8:21 pm - , IN
Hey guys!

I don't know how many of you have been watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, but let me tell you, it's CHANGED my views completely on cooking even healthier meals for my kids and hoping to get the schools to change their lunch menus.  We have a huge fight on our hands to get the schools to go from processed crapola to fresh cooked foods, but the first steps are to get this petition signed to be taken to President Obama to show him that America cares what the schools are giving to our kids.  I am really considering going to our school system to start the fight in our area.  With my past issues with obesity, it's a huge concern to me that my children are being offered the types of meals that they are in their schools.  When you look at the menus from the GOVERNMENT....it's enough to make you barf. 

I won't go into details unless you guys want to hear more.  PLEASE click the link below to sign the petition.  You only have to enter your email address, name, and zip code.  Please help make a difference in my kids, your kids, and your loved ones kids health.  You can see the complete season of Jamie Olivers show on the website, it's REALLY inspiring to see what this man is trying to do! 

http://www.jamieoliver.com/campaigns/jamies-food-revolution/ petition

Thanks you guys!!!!

Lori
JRinAZ
on 4/29/10 12:28 am - Layton, UT
Mother of 5 and each took a healthy lunch with them to school.  I may have eaten junk but my kids grew up eating very healthy fresh food.  Kudos to those who are trying to "nationalize" better health but we all know that it starts from home.  No one can rely on the government to dictate our eating habits. If we accepted directions for better eating then few of us would be on this forum!  We've all been taught the nutritional value of healthy food choices.  .... I love the educational aspect of the Jamie Oliver show.  Unfortunately, the school lunches are very expensive now; even with processed foods.   To make everything organic/fresh would raise the cost even higher.  So, those who could eat?  1.  Those who get FREE lunches, thus having the majority of tax payers pay for their lunch.  2.  Those who are wealthy enough to afford the higher prices.  That leaves a HUGE gap of those who are middle class, pay their taxes, have maybe 2 or 3 kids (gasp) instead of just one and simply can't afford the high priced lunches.  So, like me.....they pack the lunches.  My kids get the old Food pyramid lunch.  Sammy or wrap with protein, sometimes salads, veggies, frui****er bottle and usually (since they have after school sports) a 2nd fruit, string cheese or protein bar (buy in bulk at Costco).  Their coaches insist on them drinking pure water so that support makes it easier.  ......  They come home at night to share in a dinner that is high protein, low carb and right out of the WLS nut guidelines.  Of course they eat junk.....cuz it's good and because they eat healthy 80% of the time.  I'd like to see Jamie Oliver go into people's homes and clean up their acts.....more like the  "Super Nanny" concept.  Cuz believe me...if mama's cooking a big ol pot of pasta and heavily buttered bread once a week then the entire family is going to eat at least one BIG serving.

Was that a rant?  Sorry!  ......  Just my twist on the complete picture
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active