Revision surgery-difference in pain?

StephOinAZ
on 4/27/10 6:15 am
I saw a post on the DS board that made me wonder...any of you that have gone from a BAND to DS...how did the post-op pain differ?
Obviously I'm expecting more pain, since part of my stomach is actually being cut off, and intestines are being cut.  But I just recall that my pain post-op from my band was really not at all bad.  I remember waking up a little bit in the recovery room and thinking "well this is disorienting, wait...oh wow that hurts!" right before I fell back asleep.  I recall pain, but I was pretty out of it and it didn't really bother me.  I was more worried about the nauseousness.  And I remember being very tender for at  least a week after surgery.  But my over-all  memory of the entire surgery was really not at all bad and very do-able.  The worst part of it all was the gas bubble traveling through my chest and then finally resting in my shoulder.  

So for anyone who has had a revision from the band...how much more pain should I expect?  How much longer should my recovery time estimation be?  Of course I know the 2 surgeries are night and day and everyone is different...but still...stories would be welcome :)

THANKS!
(deactivated member)
on 4/27/10 6:41 am - Bayonne, NJ
I didn't have a band, I went from RNY to DS, and I had a lot more pain. It wasn't off the charts or anything, but he had to take down the entire RNY, dissect out the band on my stoma, reconnect everything, then do the DS, remove the gall bladder, remove the appendix, and hack through some adhesions. Yuck. No wonder it hurt, haha.

I was out of work 6 weeks and needed it, but I'm 44 and this was a big revision. I was in the hospital 5 days. However, I did feel well enough to visit friends in Texas at 5 weeks.
StephOinAZ
on 4/27/10 7:01 am
Oh my goodness that is a lot of hacking, huh?  No wonder you were in more pain! 
Michelle H.
on 4/28/10 1:14 am - Canada
Ihave been wondering about this but was kind of afraid to ask and find out..lol

Thanks for your post.  I did not find the pain after the RNY bad, I will prepare myself better now knowing this...
Michelle
My is Debbie M.......I am to lo24 (Louisa)
RNY 338- 185.  Regain to SW260 CW 236 GW 150ish?

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/10 1:20 am - Bayonne, NJ
They offered pain meds, I took them. You heal better if you're not fighting the pain. I was definitely able to live with it, but I've had a lot of previous surgeries: c-section, rny, abdominoplasty, hernia repair. It all adds up.
StacysMom
on 4/27/10 4:26 pm, edited 4/27/10 4:31 pm
 The lap band surgery is LAPAROSCOPIC.   The DS surgery, depending on who you go to, can be done laparoscopically or OPEN.    I have read here that recovering from an open surgery is like being hit by a truck compared to lap surgery.  

When you chose your DS surgeon, be sure and ask about him or her on the DS board to find out the level of experience your surgeon really has.   Don't go by what ANY doctor tells you.  Some physicians are "johnny come lately" to the DS because they are losing their RNY business to the number of patients clamoring for the DS.    This is especially notable if the surgeon previously performed the OPEN RNY surgery as their primary money-making procedure (and many of them did).  

Particularly because your surgery will be a revision from the lapband, you want a VERY experienced DS surgeon opening you up - and maybe you won't even have to be opened up if you go to someone who has extensive experience, not only with revisions, but with the laparoscopic DS.

Check out www.dsfacts.com and www.duodenalswitch.com to see if your doctor is on either of their lists of DS doctors.   If he or she isn't, go onto the DS forum and ask why.   They only recommend surgeons who are vetted with years of experience with the DS surgery.

I cannot stress this strongly enough!   Good luck with your surgery.   After the band, you will love the DS.  IMHO, it was criminal for your surgeon to give someone with your BMI the band in the first place!  You should have had the DS from the get-go, but she probably doesn't perform that surgery, so she sold you something she did do.   You're lucky she didn't give you the RNY, or you'd be looking to revise from that to the DS in a few years and that's a much more complex surgery than band to DS!!

BTW, I just took a look at your blog and it's very good!  The entry about the "liquid bacon", shelf-life 12 years, no refrigeration needed made me ROTFL!!  And, I just may make that shrimp recipe for dinner in the next few days - looks good!  I even have a tip for you!  Check out Shirataki noodles at your local health food store or Asian market.   They come in the refrigerated section and they are suspended in water in a plastic bag.  Rinse them in a colander and then just nuke them for a minute or so.   Pour on hot pasta sauce and enjoy.   I think the entire package is around 40 calories and all protein - they're make from soy!   Much easier than that spaghetti squash you made.   I've done the spaghetti squash too - what a hassle!
Most Active