Very Frustrated

Wisegrl3
on 4/25/10 9:51 am - Trenton, OH

Hello,

I need some advice.  I am almost 5 years out of my Lap Band Surgery.  I started out at 248 pounds and I am now down to 175.  I have been struggling for the last two years or so to lose the last 25 pounds to get to my goal of 150.  I hit the plateau of 175 after the first two years.  I kind of laxed a little and maintained.  During this time I had a stretched pouch twice.  Both were almost exactly a year apart.  I am not sure exactly what caused it but I am thinking that I was too tight for a long time and just didnt realize it.  I have been going back and forth for the last two years getting fills and unfills several times.  The last fill I received was back in the fall of 2009 of .07ccs  which is NOT alot from being completely unfilled due to the second stretched pouch.  I was up to about 189 in Jan of this year and went back to my Weight Loss doctor who put me on Adipex and kept the small amount in my band.  I have been on the Adipex since January and went back down to 175.  I am stuck on the same exact plateau of 175 that I was on the first time when I pretty much maintained and gave up.  So here it is at the end of April with just a 14 pound weight loss from the adipex and I went  back to my doctor for a fluro last week which is now showing my stomach is stretched AGAIN.  I know it isn't anything that I have been doing because being on the Adipex I havent hardly been eating enough.  It is working too well which is probably why I am at a plateau.  Anyway I am working on uping my calories a little and exercising more to fix that hopefully.  My concern is that this is the third time that my pouch has stretched and I am now starting to think that I need to have it removed and maybe get the verticle sleeve done.  Has anyone else been in this situation or can offer me any adivse?  It just seems like everyone else that I know that has had the band has been doing well with no problems, and I have had them constantly for about 2 1/2 years now.  I am now eating exactly what I am supposed to and exercising 4 to 5 times a week and even on Adipex the scale is just not moving.  I am sorry to make this post so long, but I am so frustrated right now.  Any advice would be great.  Thanks in advance.

USAF Wife
on 4/25/10 11:51 am, edited 4/25/10 11:51 am
I'm really sorry that you are having these issues. Personally, I didn't experience these type of complications, but I am so grateful to be rid of my band.
This type of situation/complication occurring multiple times can not be good for your stomach tissue.

I love my sleeve. My weight loss has been phenomenal with the VSG as a revision, and while you don't have that much to goal, several members on the VSG board had revisions when they were at or close to goal due to band complications. They can probably share their experiences with you so you can have a better idea on what they've dealt with.

If you haven't already, you should post this on the VSG boards because a lot of revision patients hang out over there instead of on here.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Wisegrl3
on 4/26/10 1:50 am - Trenton, OH
Thank you for your advice.  I will post this on the other board as well. Congrats on your success!
StephOinAZ
on 4/26/10 3:34 am
I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles :(  I know how frustrating it can be.  I've had my band for almost a year and am already fed up with it and planning my revision to DS (I still have over 200 lbs to lose).  I agree that you should check out the Sleeve board for more info, I'm not too familiar with that.
My band is almost completely full...as in less than 1 cc from being full, and I still have no restriction.  The fluoroscope showed that my stomach has NOT stretched and the band is placed perfectly, so we can't figure out why I have no restriction.  Luckily you can at least show your insurance that your stomach has stretched...which for my insurance at least is a medical reason that they would cover a revision for. 
From what I've researched, the band works really great for people who have like 50 to 75 lbs to lose, but anything more than that is just considered lucky.  I'm not saying that "luck" has anything to do with people losing weight, of course i know it's hard work and effort...I'm just saying that from what I've researched, you lost more than what the band is "expected" to help you lose, so it's not surprising to me that it's not helping you out these last 25 lbs.  You should still be SUPER proud of your success for getting that far!  

I hope that you are able to find what will help you!  Best of luck!
Wisegrl3
on 4/28/10 12:19 pm - Trenton, OH
Thank you for your kind word Stephanie.  I hope you as well have luck with your next surgery.  I believe that I am being looked out for and everything will be ok.
dmstear
on 5/3/10 11:58 am
Hey, what exactly is a "stretched" pouch. I could have sworn that my surgeon said that that is not possible. I get stuck alot and throw up alot, but only lost 35lbs in 9 months. Help!!
Most Active