Why is regain so rapid compared to pre-op gain?

JRinAZ
on 4/26/10 3:48 am - Layton, UT
Hey Sarah,
The science is not always the answer.  There's that mysterious metabollic componant that can yank our chains an mess witih the best of food journaling, calorie counting and intense exercising!  ....  Body builders discovered the metabollic road block years ago when they were doing the calorie in/calorie out math and things weren't adding up.  They developed the carb cycling plan!  .....  Docs run tests to check thyroid, diabetes, etc. ....  many things can mess up the normal gaining/losing plan!

Our bodies adapt.  Perhaps yours threw itself into starvation mode and wants to hang on to everything that comes it's way and hasn't had the control towers tell it to STOP!!!

Good luck on your journey!  Maybe it's time for some revision research?  ( www.dsfacts.com)

Take care,

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/10 5:59 am - Bayonne, NJ
Sarah, I keep coming back and I'm always glad to see your familiar face.   I'm sorry you're going through this.

Our bodies shut down, go into starvation mode. After RNY, we spend the rest of our lives dieting. I started gaining weight, I'd diet even more strictly, and I'd lose. I made myself very sick following weigh****chers because I didn't get in enough protein or vitamins.

My weight kept going up and down, but then started to just go up. I think that my body was just so damned tired of losing. I never reached goal. I had lots of post-rny trouble due to a band on my stoma, so after a long time of regain and esophageal erosion, I started investigating a revision.

While getting my ducks in a row for the revision, I kept a food journal. I weighed in with my primary monthly with no change: 219, 220, 221, 219, 221. I ate 1200 a day and couldn't lose. It sucked.

Since I started out with a BMI over 58, I'm sorry I didn't know more about the DS back then. It was demonized by most doctors, who were selling the lap-band and rny. 

But yeah, like everyone says, our metabolic rate drops in response to the starvation mode. It sucks.

I wish you the best, I know you've been through a lot over the last bunch of years.

Adele
kjfras
on 4/27/10 9:58 am - North Lauderdale, FL
Oh Sarah - I feel your pain!!!

I had RNY 7/01 - kept the weight off for 6yrs and gained back almost 140lbs in 3 yrs - that's like 50 lbs a year!  I've never put weight on that fast before and I can't even tell you how this was possible since I can still only eat like a bird! LOL

I don't have any of the other medical issues you have so I'm sorry that I can't help you with that.  I just know that about 6 months ago I looked into having a revision - LapBand - had insurance approval and everything - I really read these boards and cancelled my LapBand.  Now I'm starting the process over to get a DS revision instead.  I think this is the longterm solution to keeping the weight off for good.  I need more malaborption than restriction - this is the best of both worlds.  I am DONE with the dieting - I want to start living!

Good luck to you!  I live in Ft Lauderdale so I'm just up the street from you!  Unfortunately there are no highly qualified DS surgeons so I'm traveling to NJ to have my revision done. 

I wish you luck on your journey. Feel free to reach out anytime!
Kerry

Kerry J                   Stillhopefull (Terry) is my Angel!!!! 
                                                    Angel to Baylady35310 (Linda)
7/9/01 RNY - 354 HW down to 192 LW
12/6/10 DS Revision - GW 170
DS HW 353
DS SW 332

DS CW 184 (-148 since surgery / -169 total) 

Plastics completed by Dr.Sauceda in MX 8/9/13 - LBL w anchor cut, long thigh lift, breast lift, butt augmentation and arm lift.               

Sarahlicious
on 4/27/10 10:09 am - Portsmouth, OH
Myabe we should have coffee sometime. Yes, my issue has always been restriction...I have NEVER gotten full on tiny portions. I could eat a reg 6 inch sub within months of surgery...I was out with a friend and had gotten 1 and cut it in half...3 inch...fine...and I was really was still hungry. My sister had RNY a couple years after me, when she was about 7 months post-op we were on vacation...she had a half a turkey sandwich on reg size toast and was on the couch in pain for it being too much and getting stuck...I was like WTH? and she looks at me and says yeah WTH is wrong with you I watched what you ate and you ate way more than I can. Yes, I could eat larger portions but didn't mean I went over board. I ate until satisfied not full...that breakfast of 1/2 cup cereal and berries/milk is tasty easy and sastifies me...my friend is like how do you eat only 1/2 of cereal I was like the berries bulk it up. and I'm fine. Right now one my biggest problems is the burning acid reflux which despite medication still makes me want to eat to stop the burning. Thank GOODNESS I'm having my endoscope tomorrow and we shall see what's really 'going on in there'.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

kjfras
on 4/29/10 1:18 am - North Lauderdale, FL
So how did your endocscopy go?  Did they find out anything?  I too get HORRIBLE acid reflux but it's whenever I take certain vitamins.  I mean, it can burn for hours and hours and NOTHING helps.  I don't get it.....maybe it's something going on in my blind stomach - thank the Lord that will be gone when I get the DS.

I will PM you tonight with my phone # and maybe we can get together sometime for coffee or lunch.  I would send it to you now but I can't get into the messages section here at work. 

Talk to you soon!

DS HW 353
DS SW 332

Plastics completed by Dr.Sauceda in MX 8/9/13 - LBL w anchor cut, long thigh lift, breast lift, butt augmentation and arm lift.               

Sarahlicious
on 4/29/10 1:22 am - Portsmouth, OH
This is how it went. http://www.born2lbfat.com/2010/04/cruel-and-unusual.html

I don't know the results...as they started I heard mention of the hiatal hernia then I was out completely and heard nothing else. I have to make an appt for next week or so, but my friend is having some surgery tomorrow so I'll be helping him for the next week or so..thankfully he lives near the docs office so no problem getting to the appt.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

kjfras
on 4/29/10 8:29 am - North Lauderdale, FL
Oh gosh - I read your blog!  Wow - you've had a hell of a time haven't you??  Are hiatial hernias painful?  I never had one so I just wondered. 

I hope your appt goes well. Sending good luck to your friend during their surgery tomorrow - all surgeries suck!

Are you looking into a revision?  If so, have you decided which one?

DS HW 353
DS SW 332

Sarahlicious
on 5/5/10 6:12 am - Portsmouth, OH
Just got back from doctor, pouch and stoma are way big...stoma about 3x bigger than it should be....he suggested ROSE since it can be done endo and no risk of leaks, not to mention having to get through the adhesions and mesh from previous surgeries. He feeks this will improve the reflux problem. I'm still processing things in my head as I know I've seen a lot of Stomaphyx and Rose not working on here....but I'm just not up to another major surgery when with the lymphedema and lipedema I'll be fat anyway...it's more of the knowing gainning is not a good thing....it's odd to say but "weight" doesn't worry me.

JRinAZ
on 5/5/10 8:50 am - Layton, UT
Sarah,
With your health issues....I would think having a worthless procedure of any type would be hard on your body and soul!  I haven't heard of ONE success with stomaphyx or rose.......You should really consider getting at LEAST one other opinion.  I know that many of the revision surgeon's answer via email and even phone when questions are sent their direction.  Dr. Keshishian called me a couple of times and has emailed me quickly in answer to any questions I may have.  I'll bet the others would as well.  You are unique sweetie pie and should have the BEST game plan possible!!!

Good luck!  I TOTALLy understand not having the # on the scale rule but I also understand that having better health is worth some major work and even some risk!!!

Huggggzzz!

Joyce
kjfras
on 5/6/10 12:55 am - North Lauderdale, FL
I agree 100% with Joyce - Get a 2nd Opinion!!

Definitely consult with a revision doctor since they have dealt with so many different scenarios in the past.  It's obviously completely up to you on what you choose to do.

One of my employees paid $11k in cash for the ROSE and lost 30 lbs in about 2 months since her food was restricted but has put it all back on in only 4 months.  She kicks herself now....I told her to come on here to read about how it has failed so many people but she didn't want to take the time to do so. 

I want you to be successful AND healthy - so you do what's best for you.  Talking to a second surgeon is FREE and it just might end up being better for you.

Good luck!!

DS HW 353
DS SW 332

Most Active