Yes, Surgeons put Bands over DS (VSG) stomachs

Zee Starrlite
on 4/26/10 7:27 am

I know of several of Dr. Hazem Elariny's patients who have Lap Bands over their Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy stomachs.

I have no opinion on this but I've heard several people ask about this and it is done.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/10 6:42 am - Bayonne, NJ
What a shame. Sounds kind of like a scam in a way.
Zee Starrlite
on 4/27/10 7:06 am
It's not a shame nor a scam. One person in particular was super, super morbidly obese and had a failed WLS prior.  She got down to "normal weight" much later activating her band.

This doc I mentioned is a really good surgeon.  It is an optional insurance policy,  just in case the sleeve stretches. 

Some people have super serious problems.  Presently a  DSer I know comes to mind.  This person is already 1+ year in and has only lost 1/4 of their excess weight.  This still leaves them super morbidly obese.  It's sad.  I don't think a band over  DS sleeve would help them neither.  common channel is under 100cc's so, what would work?  What could work when you are determined to sabotage and not willing to make the changes necessary to have lasting results with your WLS.  That is ashame!

Good Day,
L

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/10 1:17 am - Bayonne, NJ
I thought that the whole point of the DS was that the malabsorption would continue. Studies at 3+ years out show that people still only absorb 20% of the fats that are eaten. If a DS patient continues to follow a low-carb, high protein diet, they'll continue to lose unless there's a severe metabolic problem.  A band wouldn't help a metabolic problem, nor would it help a non-compliant patient.

Bands have high failure rates. So many of the people who seek revisions are removing bands.  If doctors and nutritionists worked with DS patients and put them on the low-carb, high protein diet instead of handing them the same info they hand to RNY patients, there would be a lot more success stories.
Ms Shell
on 4/29/10 5:07 am - Hawthorne, CA
I totally can't speak for the mechanical issues that can go wrong with a WLS choice but if most of us follow a low-carb, high protein diet we'd be a success.  It's the eating to excess AND of course that low carb thing when carbs taste so good, lol.

I'm not a fan of the band but the DS is the "gold standard" or whatever so what is a person to do if their DS doesn't work?  Maybe they need the "help" of the band in controlling the amount of carbs they are eating?

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/10 1:49 am - PA
Zee Starrlite
on 4/28/10 4:33 am
I eat "normally" (keep a fairly loose band) and could keep up with protein & supplement requirements if I had the DS too.

As a matter of fact I wanted to keep my band as I couldn't get any restriction at some point and only get the intestinal portion of the DS. My logic was that at that time, the VSG was being made larger when you got the full DS AND since I had a Band that gave me no/minimal restriction then why bother altering the stomach cause I probably needed to eat more.

The point is, the band is adjustable.  It too seems to have less issues on an cut/reduced size stomachs

Best,
Leila

Blank Out
on 4/28/10 2:02 am
 I have never seen any on this forum!
strawberry28
on 4/28/10 2:30 am - somewhere, MD

It is true.  There is a DSer who had her DS with a band (super MO) and was just shy of reaching her goal and got a fill in the band and is now happily at goal.  

Dr. E offered me the option to keep my band on my new sleeve "just in case"  I decided I wanted that devil thing out.

SW= 268     
CW= 145  ***GOAL REACHED on Christmas Day 2010****             
GW=145
5'6"       BMI= 23
 LapBand 3/2006 to Revision DS 12/2009
Get the FACTS about the Duodenal Switch at www.DSFACTS.com or http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

Extended Tummy Tuck, BL/BA scheduled for 11/18/11 Dr. Larry Lickstein          

Kim E.
on 4/28/10 2:46 am - VA
yep
it is true
I am with Strawberry here --- I am a band revision to DS and Dr. E really wanted me to keep the band. I had 100 pounds to lose. I said no. I wanted the dang thing out!!.  I also think it would have been easier for him to leave it in as opposed to scraping that thing off my stomach. JMHO

My sister on the other hand was super obese and asked for the band when she had her DS (2006) with Dr. E. and he did and she is very happy with her 280 pound weight loss!

Kim 

Lap Band March 2007- SW = 310
DS - 4/24/09 - SW = 255
CW = 175
GW = 160
Colon Cancer Survivor and Obesity Survivor - Can't do much better then that !!  ENJOY !!!

Most Active