When should one consider revision or reasons for revision

PSJ71
on 4/23/10 2:58 pm - Blanchard, OK
I have a question for you all who have had revisions. I know some of the revisions were done because of something going wrong with your first procedure. But, I wondered how many revisions were actually done due to basic noncompliance issues with diet, etc?

I am not considering a revision, but just the thought crossed my mind of what makes a person go for a revision? I KNOW my head has to be right in order to be successful with any of the weight loss surgeries, and believe me, my head has NOT been right for the past couple of months. I have found myself falling back into some of my old habits. Fortunately though, I have not gained anything, but maintained my weight. I started out on surgery day 248.8 pounds and today, I fluctuate between 201 and 203. Just waiting to get to onderland

I have done well for the past couple of days, but what I truly didn'the realize BEFORE having surgery is the fact that if you are not careful that old "munchies demon" will try to strike again. Another couple of things I didn't truly realize prior to having my band procedure is how much of a grazer I was and how much I did like sweets, which I am trying to get under control again. Please don't flame me for my post, it's just some things that I thought of and this is truly therapeutic for me to get this out in the open. I know my husband gets tired of me talking about this stuff

Thank you for listening and thank you in advance for your input.

--Paulette
  Starting WT:  275   Surgery Wt:  248.8   Current Wt: 202.5 Goal:  140

pycca
on 4/24/10 8:05 am - Haslet, TX
When I figured out , the band was the wrong one... I was a VERY compliant patient. but after almost a year of not loosing much 30 lbs, knew I needed to find another wls.

So I reviewed what I did most of my life and what each surgery did,  AGAIN< concluded I needed one that would help me loose no matter what. 

One that would let me help myself.

I still graze but it is protein, or veggies,  I eat much better quality foods now, some very rich in fats and seasonings. drink lots of fluids, and yes if I want I do get to have my sweets once in a while. just do not crave them any more!!

And I don't choke, PB or look like Ben Ten Alien slime any more!!! LOL

Good luck in your search!

tmjuarez
on 4/27/10 7:38 am - Arlington, TX
I have has my band for 6yrs now, I am having my revision to the RYN,  I decided that I needed a new surgery (revision) when I was getting fills and no weight loss was occurring and I started to develop GERD and I would regurgitate my food at night.  I cannot wait until I am on the losers bench!
Good luck to you!

Mary B.
on 4/29/10 6:31 am - Southern, MD
Im currently considering and discussing revision from my band. Ive met with my dr to tell him my thoughts and Im going tomorrow for UGI and bloodwork for starters to see what, if anything is going on.

It took me many years to really go thru with the steps and the surgery. Ive been fat my entire life. I have obsessed with food, obsessed about losing weight and have lost and gained hundreds of pounds over the years. Ive fought the good fight and wanted SOMETHING to help me. I finally had the band because I was scared of being rearranged. I truly researched the band and felt that if I ate less, I would lose weight. I eat a 1/3 - 1/4 of the amount of food I used to yet, the weight is not coming off. If its calories in vs. calories out...then my body really is the freak I always thougt it was.

I want something that I can work with, not something I have to work just as hard as before having surgery. Top that all off with the $233 I pay a month cause my insurance didnt cover it...almost 3 more years till thats paid off. just not worth the $$$.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Most Active