A 3rd stomach... You can not be serious???? Really!!!!!

lsj4csj
on 4/23/10 12:52 pm
I have only posted a few times and written a few emails to people..I mostly have enjoyed reading all the opinions and life stories.  But I have never seen anyone write about this. So I am going to throw it in -- some may find it of interest~ 

Here is my story!
I had RNY in Oct 2000 - I did "okay" not great- but okay... I never made goal - but... I was 65 pounds lighter,  full of life and felt great!

Over the past 2 years, I have slowly but surely gained weight.  The weight gain has mostly been more of a "mental" struggle than a health issue. However, in Jan 2009 I put my foot down and decided it was time.. Back to the gym... back to the starting line...etc... With great disappointment (and more mental stress) I was not very successful. I went to the gym 3 days a week and joined a weight loss program. After 3 months I had lost  6 pounds! I can gain 6 pounds in a week!

Well, after reading many posts regarding revisions etc.. my interest in revisional surgery became a huge consideration! I have a BMI of 35 and my only major health issue is having high blood sugar readings after eating (250-400).  Also, I never seem to be full- I always want to eat!

So, I finally decided to schedule a meeting with a Doc and had an EGD.

My EGD Results:
1- The pouch was fine- not stretched a bit. Because the stoma was HUGE everyting I ate is falling right out! (I guess I know why I am always hungry)   
2- I have a limb obstruction.
3- The area where my small and large intestine meet has stretched and attached  (grown together) to the side of my unused stomach? Where they grew together, a pocket was formed.  This "POCKET"  is storing food and acting as a fully functional stomach????  WHAT??? Another stomach --
1 Pouch / 1 stapled off / unused portion of stomach and now
1 self made pocket stomach???  *I can only guess that with pregnancy, everything was pushed around and it had time to grow together? Dont have a clue!! Never heard of it?

Well, I am waiting on insurance approval to have this corrected. We do not think this should be  considered a "revision" because it is a technical problem with the original surgery . I am happy  to hear that I did not do something to cause the problem and the original surgeon did not do anything wrong either!

My question......
Has anyone else had this happen? Did you have it corrected and what was the outcome??
JRinAZ
on 4/24/10 1:43 am - Layton, UT
The body is certainly a clever lil entity, y'know?!

Make sure you copyright your story and hold out for a BIG bundle for the movie deal!  Good luck with everything and PLEASE keep us posted! 

I have a feeling you've got a lot of success ahead of you!!  

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

lsj4csj
on 4/24/10 4:05 am

Joyce-
I know you have been a member for a while and  I have read many of your postings... Have you heard of this before or remember anyone else having this happen?? I started laughing at the doc when he told me about my "little pocket  stomach" because I thought he was joking!  I have heard of a limb obstruction, stretched pouches, busted seams, large stoma's etc...

Well atleast someone else who has had RYN or thinking about having RNY -  knows of another possible side affect -

JRinAZ
on 4/26/10 3:42 am - Layton, UT
On April 24, 2010 at 11:05 AM Pacific Time, lsj4csj wrote:

Joyce-
I know you have been a member for a while and  I have read many of your postings... Have you heard of this before or remember anyone else having this happen?? I started laughing at the doc when he told me about my "little pocket  stomach" because I thought he was joking!  I have heard of a limb obstruction, stretched pouches, busted seams, large stoma's etc...

Well atleast someone else who has had RYN or thinking about having RNY -  knows of another possible side affect -

I've heard of all kinds of bazaar miracles, quirks, disasters and creative fixing by surgeon's.  ...  Just make sure you've got a surgeon who knows his/her stuff and can fix your "unusual" and unique anatomy!    You should be normal (is there such a thing for a WLS post-op?  LOL!)  in no time!

Take your supplements.  Push your protein and give your body the best fighting chance to heal "correctly"!  Take care! 

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

chelle614
on 4/26/10 2:49 am - Chester, NY
Bodies will do amazing things. I had a lapband and it slipped. When the Dr went in to put a new one in, he saw that I had developed a "subpouch" growing next to my existing puch. Probably because I was eating too much? Anyway, he cut it away and stitched it. I just had a revision to RNY, hopefully no more problems!

M/C 10/18/10  9w2d...forever loved

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
                                                      It's a boy!

lsj4csj
on 4/26/10 11:13 am
Chelle614--thanks so much for posting... It is really nice to hear from someone that had a similar issue. I know I am weird but come on-.....LOL!!!  Again.. thanks for posting...  Hope your revision is successful and you do not grow another subpouch =)

I am driving 400 miles to a dr in another state because I could not locate a doc in my home town that would do a revision from 10+ year ago..  In fact...  had a hard time finding one that would take it on period.. I called maybe 8 or so offices and no one would touch me!   I did some deep research on the doc I selected and I feel I am making the right choice...

Insurance called today and said I needed to have an mental evalution before they could make a determination on for approval (nor not) that just goes to show that it did not matter if it was a technical issue or not... bummer! Keep your fingers crossed for me...    
CaliNik1979
on 4/29/10 5:28 am - Beckley, WV
Wow...what a story! I can only imagine the ordeal u went through. What type of revision are u looking to have? Have u checked into the DS? if not, I invite u to share ur story with the DS forum. Many ppl on the DS forum with revisions that can offer support.

Good luck and god bless!

Nik | 36 | 5'3"| HW 305 | SW 286.3 | CW 234.2  | GW 180 | Surgery Comparison Chart
Samaro is my  

lsj4csj
on 6/14/10 10:51 am
update......
Revision Approved and scheduled for June 30th--- Oh-lalalala! Super Excited! 
Most Active