looking to have the Rose procedure

sandyjyt
on 4/23/10 10:53 am - Cortland, NY
Any one out there has had the Rose procedure with Dr. Shawn Garber in NY? if you  did, did your insurance covered? How is working for you? Any issues with this procedure? any help that I can get on this will be great!!!!!! I have an appointment with him on May 13, I would like to get as much information as I can obtain on this, I had regained about 40lbs since my surgery in 2004 and I want to stop it before gets worse.  Thanks
Sumr02
on 4/24/10 10:51 am
I went to Dr.Garber last August. I to had a 35 lb.gain and reflux. My insurance approved Rose procedure. I had it done in October.It did not work I have not met anyone who has had Rose/Stomaphyx procedures and had them work . He had then wanted to do band over pouch. At first I was going to do it but did'nt feel right about it. So I had further tests and thank goodness did not have banding done as they found I had hiatel hernia.So please research other avenues of revision.I have gone to Westchester and Manhattan and am now going to Jersey for last consult just to cover all bases. I don't want to make another mistake. I hope I've been helpful. Best wishes.
Andrea N P.
on 4/24/10 10:14 pm - Rumson, NJ
Rose and stomphyx are both ineffective.  You initialliay lose a few pounds from liquid diet etc, but the anchors and sutures don't hold.  When the study patients had their repeat EGD's at 3 months out almost universally the sutures/ anchors were no longer intact.  Trust me, I was scheduled to have the procedure free as part of the original ROSE clinical trial almost 2 years ago by the most successful principle investigator as far getting the sutures placed well and correctly.  I backed out on the advice of the surgeon as the success rate just wasn't there...and still is not.
Jackie P.
on 4/25/10 3:26 am - College Station, TX
Hi Sandy,

I originally was looking at this too. However, I looked for people that had posted since Spring, 2008 and many were scheduled for the procedure and excited. I went back and checked on their posts since they had the procedure. Out of about the 10 people I followed... none had success. I stopped looking at that point.

Please post what the doc tells you at your appointment. If doctors are still doing it... they must see some promise??

Thanks & good luck,

Jackie

12/97 Molina Band 400 lbs
10/03 Revision to RNY by Dr. Dana Reiss @ 305 lbs.
1/05 TT/Hernia Repair, Dr. Sheryl Pilcher
4/06 LBL, Dr. Sheryl Pilcher
4/07 Medial Thighplasty, Dr. David Wishew
9/07 Brachioplasty, Mastopexy, Axilla Repair, Knee/Back lipo, Dr. David Wainwright

StacysMom
on 4/25/10 7:02 am, edited 4/25/10 7:05 am
 I, too, have been following Stomaphyx, ROSE and RESTORE patients - some since 2007!   Not one success.   Most have gone on to complete open revisions to ERNY or DS.

Only one person ever wrote about success with these operations and it turned out to be a "shill" patient for Dr. Garber.   FIrst, he said he had had a great result with the Stomaphyx - then he came back on and said the same thing about the ROSE.   His surgeon was Dr. Garber, both times.   He stupidly used the same profile to post and only came on the OH chat boards to promote Dr. Garber.    

After I outed him by putting up links to all of his old posts, he left the boards.   But, not before lying that he had had BOTH procedures done (which makes no sense, as they accomplish the same thing through different methods) and that BOTH procedures were successful at the time.

Here is the link to all of this patient's posts - there are pages - all about Dr. Garber:  www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/board_id,5360/user_id,32 933/a,messageboard/action,memberPosts/

For all I know, it could have been Dr. Garber himself who was posting this stuff.  

The companies which manufacture the instrumentation for these endoscopic procedures send the surgeons for training for free after they  commit to purchasing a certain number of surgical supplies from those companies.   It may be as high as $25,000 worth.  So, if the surgeons can't find "takers" for this surgery, they are stuck with thousands of dollars worth of supplies which can't be used for anything else, as well as the specific instruments used to do the surgery. 

The docs still promoting these endoscopic surgeries are just trying to recoup some of their costs.  It's all about the $$$ - especially with the current economy.    

hollynelson
on 4/27/10 2:22 pm - Louisville, KY
I heard a surgeon, who doesn't do ROSE or Stomaphyx yet, talk about the training. The disposable device costs around $1500 to do the ROSE then you still do the endoscopy. The surgeon would pay $2000 to get trained, but that is refunded if they were to schedule 3 of the procedures within 30 days of training. I have been following this too and there are no long term result and the 1 year results look like about 10-20 pounds typical. Not that much. Prices around here are $15,000 for an outpatient procedure. Seems pretty steep.

It doesn't sound like a very good long-term or durable choice.

Holly
StacysMom
on 4/27/10 4:13 pm
The companies that manufacture this stuff must be hurting and cutting new deals.   The training used to be free when they surgeon purchased the mechanical device and the clips for a large amount of procedures.   It amounted to close to $20,000 worth of purchases.   But that was in 2007.    

Even with the way you describe it, after the surgeon has used three of the $1500 devices (amounting to a purchase of $4500 + the cost of the plastic clips), he/she would be reimbursed for the $2000 training fee, so the company is still making them buy stuff.   They just used to ask for it "up front".   

I guess now that the word it out that it doesn't really work, they are desperate to continue selling their product any way that they can - even by making it more economical for the surgeons to "try it out".  

SO, NOW THE SURGEON MUST FIND ONLY THREE PATIENTS TO USE AS GUINEA PIGS IN ORDER TO GET HIS/HER INVESTMENT BACK!!
  Better than having to find 10 or 15, but it still isn't good!  Not for the unsuspecting patient, anyway!
sandyjyt
on 4/25/10 10:33 am - Cortland, NY
Thank you all of you for the information about Dr. Garber and the Rose procedure, I think I will search for more information and other doctors out there before I do something, this is so hard, such big decision to make, I'm afraid with my weight gain over 40lbs since my surgery and I can't control it any more!!!!!!  I will investigate further on this, I  will cancel my appointment with Dr Garber for now.  Thank you very much for all the information is very valuable.
Zee Starrlite
on 4/26/10 1:22 am
Don't waste your emotions, time, or money on this procedure.  The ROSE procedure is a failure!!!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/10 5:39 am - Bayonne, NJ
It definitely doesn't work and the only reason Dr. Garber is still doing it is to make money. Run far away.
Most Active