Anyone had any luck with revision to RNY

Mary B.
on 4/28/10 1:23 am - Southern, MD
I went to see my Dr to discuss a revision. I havent been to see him except for fills and have only been in to chat with the nut.

He asked me to slow down with the revision talk and take a deep breath. He said it hasnt been that long...Uh, its been over a year and ive only lost 20lbs here...He is sending me for a Upper GI and blood work up to start with. Then maybe see the bariatric doctor he works with. Ok, I'll play your game for a little while and see what happens.

Honestly, Im glad this is where we are starting. I guess a good doctor would want to check everything before sending me for another surgery.  I still want a revision though, unless there is some freaky problem that I eat 1/3 of the food I used to and dont lose anything.

Any news for you yet?
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

zabs
on 4/28/10 1:44 am
There is a reason everyone suggests DS for revision.  If you have a failed lap band, chances are that restriction alone isn't going to do it for you.  And besides, who wants to end up having 3 surgeries?  Why not revise to the most effective one?

I used to live in Acworth, btw.  Have you talked to Dr. Smith in Marietta?  He's an excellent surgeon and as far as I know, he does do lapband to DS revisions, and he's close by. 

According to his website, "Dr. Smith will also evaluate patients for conversion of the LAP-BAND® adjustable gastric banding system to a Sleeve Gastrectomy with Duodenal Switch procedure, and some other Revisional procedures. "

http://www.advancedobesitysurgery.com/
if you have already been approved for RNY, then you will likely be easily approved for the DS.  You don't necessarily have to start over.  I know it can be a little hard to get in to see Dr. Smith, but he's an amazing surgeon and he does the DS lap.

Started researching the DS in Dec 2008.  2 years and one baby later(my 3rd), I'm finally switched!

Most Active