Anyone had any luck with revision to RNY

Christy Sanchez
on 4/25/10 9:25 pm - Acworth, GA
Thanks for all your suggestions. I didn't fail lap band. I still lost enough weight that it's made a good impact on my life. It did not help me get to goal weight plus lots of problems with GERD etc. I can't pay for surgery so I have to either do what my insurance pays for or nothing at all. I appreciate your comments and suggestions but that's just a fact. I can't pay for it.
Christy Sanchez

311 HW/275 Band/239 RNY/193 CW/150 GW

Mary B.
on 4/25/10 10:53 pm - Southern, MD
Hey Christy. Thanks for asking your question. I have an appt today to discuss revision with my surgeon. Im leaning towards the RNY.

Will you be having your band removed and RNY done at the same time? Thats what Im hoping for. I dont have enough time off work and school for two surgeries.

Good luck to you and hopefully I'll have some good news later!
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Christy Sanchez
on 4/26/10 5:12 am - Acworth, GA
Hi Mary,

Yes I'll be having my band removed at the same time as my RNY. I have known lots of people to be successful with RNY and am fully satisfied as it will be a good choice for me. I hope your appointment goes well.

Christy
Christy Sanchez

EricaQ
on 4/26/10 6:36 am
Hi Christy,

I'm in Atlanta as well.  I've had my band for three years and I'm in the process of being approved for RNY.  I lost a lot the first year then gained 1/2 of it back over the last two years.  I'd be interested in knowing how it goes with you.  

Good luck!

Erica
Erica Queen  
Lapband - 3/22/07
Revision to RNY - 9/13/11

Christy Sanchez
on 4/26/10 7:18 am - Acworth, GA
Looking forward to following you too, Erica!
Christy Sanchez

EricaQ
on 4/26/10 11:17 am
I just received my second denial letter for the revision. :(
Erica Queen  
Lapband - 3/22/07
Revision to RNY - 9/13/11

Christy Sanchez
on 4/27/10 4:04 am - Acworth, GA
Oh no, and they know about your heartburn problems and stuff. I'd appeal again and send a letter along with the request. Explaining all the problems with the band. Could it be something to do with your insurance company? I'm so sorry because I know the frustration with going through the surgery and all the day to day complications for very little results. Good luck with the weigh****chers but I would still continue to fight with the insurance company.
Christy Sanchez

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/10 1:51 pm - NJ
Yes - I have been amazingly successful with my revision from the band to RNY!!

It is SO MUCH better!!  I had wicked reflux all the time, not to mention vomiting several times a day.  And the kick in the ass was I wasn't even losing that much!!

It has been a year and I have lost (in total with the few pounds from the band) 103 pounds!!

I couldn't be happier, and I can eat just about anything, but I do dump.  Bread doesn't sit well, but a bite here and there is ok.

Good luck, and please feel free to pm any questions or if you wanna chat :)
Christy Sanchez
on 4/27/10 4:01 am - Acworth, GA
Thanks - I just needed to hear someone's been successful. I'd love to know any major differences that you can think of or some explanation of what a typical day is like for you with regard to eating.
Christy Sanchez

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/10 7:03 am - NJ
Major differences:
No more vomiting
Have to be more aware that you are full, it doesn't hit instantly like the band
No creepy port under your skin
Works immediately

A day's eating looks like this:

Wake up - coffee
Mid AM snack - egg with bacon (I eat about half a scrambled egg with a piece of bacon or turkey sausage)
Lunch - Turkey rolled up in piece of swiss cheese with a pickle and cole slaw in the middle, dunked in 1000 island dressing (literally, I have never finished one - I use about an ounce and a half of turkey and a slice of swiss (both from the deli)
Afternoon snack - a protein shake, or a string cheese, 
Dinner - an ounce or two of chicken, beef or whatever, with a few bites of sides
Snack - greek yogurt doctored up numerous ways
Late night snack - popcorn with a variety of the "free" seasonings

Most Active