Anyone had any luck with revision to RNY

Christy Sanchez
on 4/23/10 6:40 am - Acworth, GA
I had lap band surgery January 2008 and lost 50 pounds within 2 years. I got sick several times a day (everyday) and finally went back to see the doctor frustrated. I had several fills and unfills. In February, I went to the doctor and told them I couldn't handle the vomitting much more. I barely ate anything to begin with. I allowed them to take out the fluid. She submitted the insurance request to RNY. I was approved within 3 days. I'm scheduled for June 8. I just want to know if anyones had any luck with this type of revision. I see everyone on here really pushing for DS. I don't think my doctor does that and I've already been approved for RNY plus i have 5 kids and self pay would never be an option.

I'm hoping that someone has lost weight with this type of  revision. If you have please give me some information on your successes with it. Also, please tell me any obstacles. I'd love also for anyone to give me some examples of food/meals you eat. What type of restriction difference have you noticed? I'm sorry if you've been asked this before but I looked at several posts and only saw lots of pushing for the DS. It's just not an option for me.

Thanks,

Christy
Christy Sanchez

311 HW/275 Band/239 RNY/193 CW/150 GW

Debbie M.
on 4/23/10 7:08 am
Does your insurance specfically say it doesn't cover the DS.   The only reason I ask is because I had an RNY, lost weight, then gained it all back.  Dont get me wrong, there are a lot of people who have been successful.  Not sure how much weight you have to lose but I had to lose almost 200lbs.  Had I realized that studies show more than 30% of super morbidly obese patients regain their weight, I never would have done it.  I'm only mentioning this because this is the last procedure you're going to want to do, be sure it's the one that works best for your lifestyle, not because it's the only procedure next to a lapband that your surgeon does. I did revise from an RNY to DS because I wanted restriction and malabsorption.  I don't ever want to feel like I have to diet again.  I'm only a little over 2 months out, but the lifestyle differences between the 2 are vastly different.
Best of luck to you, I hope it all works out and you lose and keep off all the weight you dream of.
Debbie M.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

Christy Sanchez
on 4/23/10 7:46 am - Acworth, GA
I don't know my doctor doesn't do the procedure. I moved from Tennessee to Georgia in January. I called several doctors here and no one wanted to help me if I'd already had surgery. So I went back to Memphis. I currently weigh 225 and am 5'8. I definitely don't want to gain the weight back that I've lost (50 lbs) either.  I appreciate your response, though.
Christy Sanchez

Debbie M.
on 4/23/10 8:34 am
You should talk to Dr. Husted in TN, he's done lots of RNY to DS revisions.  Wouldn't hurt to ask his office if they accept your insurance.  That is if a DS is what you want.  YOu might also want to check out www.dsfacts.com.
Take care,
Debbie

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

brandyII
on 4/23/10 8:53 am
Hi Christy,

I had my band for over a year before it was removed and never lost weight with it, and was about to give up all hope.  I also developed GERD.  I decided to revise a few months after it's removal and after I had gained back all I had lost plus some on my initial preop liquid diet.

Anyway although it affects everyone differently I have found success with RNY as well as my daughter and two nieces.  I was the only one of the four who had tried lap band first.  It is different than the band in many ways.  Of course your recovery will be more difficult, longer and probably more painful than the lap band so be aware of that.

Also you have to be concerned about getting in your protein and your supplements daily which is something you need to go over with your bariatric group.  Last June that I had my RNY so you have to forgive me for not being able to come up with every detail of my food consumption but I pretty much followed whatever the dietitian there gave me.  Starting with liquids to mushies then to certain solids and food needs  to be chewed very well.  Plus taking in extra protein usually in the form of a liquid drink.

I'm 50 years old so my metabolism is not like that of a much younger person but for me I think I've done well so far.  I also had leg surgeries in January and March which may have slowed down my progress but I've gone down from 259 lbs to the low 180s and have been there since January.  I am actually pleased with that even though that number may not look as good to others it feels good to me so even if no more is lost I'm much happier and healthier.

I feel like the restriction I got from RNY was "real" and I couldn't really eat around it like you can with the band.  I've also never been able to vomit like I did a lot with the band.  I still can get hungry but I know my limitations better now than I ever did with the band.  Hope this makes sense but it probably will make more sense after you've had the surgery.  The waiting to drink is still very important and so far with me if I do drink after I eat I get too full instead of flushing the food through the band.  So I suppose that may different with each person too but drinking too soon makes me more full!

Also I have what they call dumping syndrome so certain amounts of sugar and/or different types of carbs can make me feel ill.  The way I experience it I just feel very nauseous, I may want to vomit but can't.  It's a very good deterent.  Doesn't mean I won't try sugar but I won't eat as much as I had prior.  I had/have type 2 diabetes and not sure if that's what makes some people ill or not but there could be some correlation.

Anyway good luck with your revision, I know there are plenty of others who have gone from lapband to RNY so they'll probably chime in toon, Nancy.
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

Christy Sanchez
on 4/23/10 9:53 am - Acworth, GA
Thanks Nancy,

I appreciate the information. I'm definitely want the RNY. I guess I just want to know if there are a lot of no-no's with the RNY like with the band. I couldn't eat lettuce, coconut, pineapple, etc.

Christy
Christy Sanchez

brandyII
on 4/23/10 11:28 am
Everyone is different in what they tolerate and also in the beginning you're not allowed raw veggies so lettuce would be out but as soon as you're given the ok for raw veggies lettuce is usually tolerated well.  Some proteins  I still have difficulty with but everyone is different.  I can say I've eaten lettuce and coconut since surgery but not pineapple but that's just because I haven't had the opportunity.   Good luck Nancy.
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

hollyberries
on 4/23/10 12:25 pm - Carver, MA
Christy,

I like you had the worst experience with the band.  I was sick every single day and then had esophugus issues and Gerd bad.  I was one happy puppy to have the band removed.  I am 3 months out from surgery, down 42 lbs and have only been sick twice (to much sugar).  I have eaten most things comfortably and eat salad.  I do have issues with bread but that is typical.  I am happy to be revised and I am certain that you will be happy too!  Remember this is just a tool but a tool that tells you when you have eaten to much....man I hate the over full feeling.  Feel free to PM me....besides we have sons with the same name....

Blessings,
Cindy
Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

jeanyjane
on 4/25/10 9:25 am - Germany
Lots of people have the RNY. It`s still considered "the gold standard" of WLS. And lots and lots of people gain lots of weight back with the RNY - the failure rate is somewhere between 35-50 % when its the first WLS. The pouch and the stoma stretch, and then the restriction is lost forever. And the body will adapt to the malabsorbation after around 2-3 years.

THERE IS A REASON WHY SO MANY RECOMMEND THE DS HERE.

You have already failed one WLS, and as a revision, your chance of failing again with the RNY in longterm is even higher then for those who get it as virgin surgery. Do you really want to take this risk "just" because no surgeon near you does it?
USAF Wife
on 4/25/10 12:05 pm
I didn't have RNY, but chose VSG for my revision from the band. I've had amazing success with VSG, and have zero food intolerances, nor any issues with vitamin or nutrient deficiencies. With VSG, restriction is immediate without any maintenance issues of fills/unfills. Also, the removal of the hunger hormone called Ghrelin with the sleeve is pretty awesome. I was always hungry with the band, I hated my little pouch/stoma combo that the band gave me essentially just like what the RNY offers. I wanted a normal functioning stomach just smaller in size and capacity.

DS nor RNY were options for me. I know you're already approved for RNY, but my main concern with RNY is if you look around this board, you'll find several patients seeking revision with RNY or having complications a few years post op.

I realize the sleeve hasn't been a stand alone procedure as long as the DS or RNY and there aren't published studies out for more than 5 years out, but if your concerned about obstacles and food intolerances, malabsorption of certain medications in the future, or possible vitamin deficiencies, then I would recommend checking out the sleeve.

Personally, I know myself enough to know that I didn't, and won't need a malabsorptive procedure to be successful. Even though a lot of other members that chose RNY or DS have condemned or predicted VSG patients will never meet goal or gain weight back since we don't have any rerouting. Well guess what, I have read on here of DS patients gaining weight back, same as RNY patients, and some don't get to goal with either of those procedures. For me, the sleeve has given me the control I needed to achieve a great success.

Best wishes in your research.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active