anyone in NJ gain after rny and have a revision

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/10 11:42 am - Bayonne, NJ
All surgery is risky. Dr. Greenbaum explained the risks to me, and I still felt confident going ahead with the surgery. The biggest complicating factor is leaks. They can happen. You are npo after surgery and you're tested for leaks the next day. You stay off food for a couple of weeks to prevent leaks (I went home on a liquid diet) and he leaves in a j-tube for feeding if necessary, and a drain.

The surgery involves completely reversing the RNY. The stomach is reattached, as are the intestines, and then you are converted over to the DS. The curvature of the stomach is removed and the vertical gastric sleeve is created. This helps with food restriction and it helps to keep away hunger, because most of the hunger hormone grehlin is made in that area. The intestinal part of the DS is performed. The appendix and gall bladder, if there, are removed to prevent the need for further surgeries.

I had a lot of adhesions and a partial bowel obstruction that were taken care of during surgery. I also had that additional prolene mesh band on the stoma that had to be excised out, which involved more cutting. It was a bit rougher than my RNY, but worth it. At my 2 week checkup I had the drain & j-tube removed.

It is important when having a revision to go to someone who has done many of them, and who is highly skilled. After conducting my research, I came up with  4 revision surgeons I would consider: Rabkin (CA), Keshishian(CA), Husted (KY) and Greenbaum (NJ). 
Andrea N P.
on 4/24/10 12:29 pm - Rumson, NJ
There are also several skilled laparoscopic revision surgeons locally out of NYC.  They all started out together at Mt. Sinai, and were among the pioneers who originally developped and published on laparoscopic  RNY to DS revisions. They are now at various hospitals.  Dr. Gagner is the most well know of the group, (but he is not currently practicing in NYC... operating overseas) along with Dr. Pomp (Columbia), Dr Inabnet (Sinai), Dr. Herron (Sinai).  Subhash Kini MD out of Sinai is an extremely talented up and comer as well.

I have met with Pomp but he didn't consider me a revision candidate and thought I simply needed to refocus on diet and exercise.  Dr. Gagner felt I was an excellent candidate, but he has no local office.  Dr. Inabnet is very skilled, caring and engaging, as well as very cautious.  He and Dr. Herron operate together.  Although leaks are by far the most common serious complications, the techniques that are now used in connecting the staple lines are such that in skilled hands leaks are quite uncommon. 
Most Active