anyone in NJ gain after rny and have a revision

sharon K.
on 4/21/10 12:33 am - north arlington, nj
I had bypass 8 years ago and am gaining.. I am wondering if it is possible to have a lap band over it and if anyone has had it done in NJ/ny area and who is t he best doctor.  Thanks
emjayel56
on 4/22/10 11:07 am - Boynton Beach,, FL

I am formerly from Old Bridge, NJ... moved to FL 2 years ago when i broke up from my ex.  My ex went to my surgeon to have a band over bypass and seems to be doing well.  I went to Manhattan to Drs. Fielding & Ren at NYU ... they are amazing if you can get there... you wont regret that decision.  good luck

maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

sharon K.
on 4/22/10 8:30 pm - north arlington, nj
Thank you, Maryjo....Did you also have the band over a bypaass?  is there a weight requirement?  Did insurance pay for it,?:  Do you have any idea of the costs?  I am not far from Manhatten, but the only Doctors I found while searching the net were in Long Island and doing something called a Rose procedure and a stomphx, I can't find much more information about it.. Anything you can tell me, I would appreciate... If you had both, the bypass and the band, how did it differ for you after surgery.  I was so pleased with the bypass, I lost over 140, but I do feel like it is stretched and I don't feel full anymore.. Does the band make you not feel hunger like th bypass?  Thanks again.
emjayel56
on 4/22/10 8:47 pm - Boynton Beach,, FL
I have not done the BOB (band over bypass) but my ex did and is doing well with it.  The band gives you more restriction and they can adjust it as needed.  Since you are not far fromManhattan I would strongly recommend you consult with the above surgeons at NYU, they have a remarkable program and will give you the best advice.  They are husband and wife and either is a gifted and talented surgeon.  good luck

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/10 5:51 am - Bayonne, NJ
I had RNY with Dr. Kamelgard in 2003. Never got to goal. Although I kept off 100, I had to get rid of the extra ring he put around the stoma.

I revised to the DS in December. I'm down 45 lbs, and I will probably lose another 45. My original goal was 168 (never got to it) and my new goal is 130. I'm thrilled.

I didn't go for a lap band over RNY because I already had all the reflux and misery. I didn't need more of it. Most of my friends with lap-bands have had trouble, and it just didn't seem like an option.
sharon K.
on 4/23/10 5:55 am - north arlington, nj
Thank you so much for your reply...Did you friends who had trouble with the lap have it over a bypass?  Was your DS laproscopic, is that also adjustable later on?   Did insurance pay for it?  Thanks again, Sharon
(deactivated member)
on 4/23/10 6:04 am - Bayonne, NJ
No, all of them had regular lap bands. One had to have it completely replaced due to a leak in the band, another had the port migrate, another had so much reflux she had it removed.

I had my surgery open. I had to. The revision is complicated and I had prior open surgeries, so I had a lot of scar tissue.  If I ever needed to have the common channel lengthened or shortened, they can do that. Insurance covered it 100%, Horizon BCBS NJ.

Gotta run, but if you need anything else, let me know.
sharon K.
on 4/23/10 6:48 am - north arlington, nj
Thank you so much... I will take the time to find out more about DS.. I'm very happy for you that it is working.. Good luck and thanks for any info.
Andrea N P.
on 4/24/10 12:46 am - Rumson, NJ
Hi 
I live in New Jersey at the shore (near Red Bank).  I had a bypass 10 years ago and lost 150 lbs and slowly gained it back, most of it after my two children who are now 5 and almost 4.  I have researched revision for the past 2 years and have met with multiple surgeons.  I was accepted into a clinical trial to have the ROSE for free and backed out because initial results were poor and remain poor.  The anchors in the stomaphx don't hold any better than the sutures in the ROSE.  You lose weight initially from the liquid diet and it stops there. I also met with Dr. Bessler who has done most of the Band over bypass clinical trials.  This is a non option as results again are marginal  (most will lose 30 lbs or so ) and you are almost guaranteed a reoperation down the road with the high rate of band complications. 

I also was approved and scheduled for an extended limb RNY with Dr. Brolin (all the problems of RNY including dumping, food intolerances, can't take NSAID's, worse malabsortion of calcium and iron than a DS and a pouch that won't allow you to eat enough to avoid nutritional deficiencies).  I cancelled this to further research VSG and DS. 

I am currently scheduled for a Laparoscopic DS with Dr. Inabnet at Mt Sinai in NY for May 12th.  He will do the take dowm my pouch and perform a VSG (the first part of a DS).  If all is going perfectly he will proceed with the full DS.  If there are any complications or the OR time has been excessive he will stop there I will have the second malabsortive part of the procedure later. 

If you are most intersted in band over bypass then VSG is the best alternative. You get restriction to promote weight loss and a fully functioning small stomach.  There are also hormonal factors that decrease the hunger hormone ghrelin.  If you have a large amount of weight to lose or need malabsorption to maintain then you may want to consider a full DS.  I have a BMI of 39 and a long h/o yo  yo dieting and feel I will need malapsorption to maintain longterm.
sharon K.
on 4/24/10 7:35 am - north arlington, nj
Hi.. Thank you so much for your quick reply and very informative and thought provoking response.  I have not really started to do any research but it sounds like you did, so again I thank you for sharing.  So, in your opinion or research you have found that the rose and stomphyx are essentially the same thing and are not very effective?  I thought I read that also.  I am assuming the "DS is the duodenal switch? and I am not that familiar with it, but is it a whole revision of the original bypass?  and in your research you have found band over bypass to be ineffective, why would further surgerys be necessary with that?  I am a bit afraid of having a foreign object inside, I can just feel the scar tissue forming now, LOL...I don't know about my calcium levels, but I do know that I am extremely anemic and it does drasticly affect my energy and my lack of exercise, due to lack of enery is causing a rapid weight gain, I think my bmi is currently 35.  What is a "takedown' of your pouch"and how risky is this surgery?  What is the difference betweena vsg and a ds?  Are both necessary?
 Again, you have been a wealth of information and I appreciate you taking the time to respond.. Best of luck to you with your upcoming surgery.
Most Active