Hello....Just a question.....

Monique H.
on 4/21/10 1:24 am
Just wanted to let you know I was revised to a distal and am now looking into the ds. It isn't the same, but before I start telling you differences I want to do some more research. I also have an appointment with a ds surgeon in the morning, so maybe I'll get some facts from him.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Angela M.
on 4/21/10 2:27 am - Vicksburg , MS
Revision on 06/24/10 with
So you are working on revision # 2?  Wow!  Has anyone had any success with just a regular old RNY revision?  I can not afford a DS...I want one but the surgeon in my area who does it, charges so much out of pocket.....

317/287/170

pokerchips
on 4/21/10 3:30 am
Hi Monique I was looking around OH and checking up on old friends and I checked your page. I'm so glad you have not given up!  I was revisted to distal after a completely failed RNY and I recommend that you go the DS route if it is possible it was not in my case.  I have indeed lost more weight than I lost with the initial failed RNY (I only lost 30 lbs).  I have lost 70 lbs to date with the revision but the most recent 18 lbs was secondary to a health problem (I'll take it any way I can get it :)  I am now working hard on the 25-30 lbs I need to loose to reach goal.

The reason I suggest you go the DS route if you can is because I think the body would respond to the surgery better than RNY...just my 2 cents. :)  the body usually does not respond to the RNY the 2nd time around anywhere near the way it does with a successful 1st surgery.

Peace & Blessings

Change is a Process Not an Event

Monique H.
on 4/21/10 6:51 am

I actually came back on here to see how people were doing with their rny revisions since mine wasn't going so well. After following up with my surgeon and dietician for a year and no one being able to help me find any answers I have decided to go to Dr K for a consult. My surgeon telling me that as long as we can keep my weight where it is, he thinks we were successful just isn't good enough for me. I know I'm not 395 lbs anymore, but 236 isn't acceptable either when everyday it's a struggle to keep it there. Anyway I said all that to say that I'm definitely going to try for the ds. I'm so afraid just because of recent surgery experiences, but I'm going to do it. I feel like I have to. I bought a home in August and can't even get mortgage insurance because of my weight. Then to top it off I went to a surgeon about my extra skin and he won't do a full body lift unless I lose more weight. I could not take having a flat stomach and the rest of me being the way it is. I would really look deformed then.

I know you didn't ask for all that, but once I started typing I just couldn't stop. I really do hope you have success in reaching your goal and peace and blessings to you as well.

WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Angela M.
on 4/22/10 11:24 pm - Vicksburg , MS
I know your pain.  I am just about ready to give up.  In fact I am about to call my doctor and cancel my appt for next week.  It just sems like getting another RNY revision or not, is only going to waste my time and possibly make me sicker.  I am just going to wait til next year when I can try and get the DS......

God's blessings to you....

Angela

317/287/170

Mary B.
on 4/21/10 2:39 am - Southern, MD
OH, I thought you were going to him now for your revision. I am interested in the DS too, but still have doubts. Just the band was a life change...its so disappointing that the weight is not coming off, I just feel that I need the malapsorbtion (ugh, cant spell). I was self pay for that$18k. If I have to come up with another $1200, I will, if it means I can break out of this fat. but thats about all I can afford and thats pushing it. I'll be paying off the band for another 4 years!

Now I have BC/BS Federal insurance and I believe its covered but only by BC/BS approved centers. the only ones within an hour and half of me are Potomac or the hospitals in Baltimore. Im happy with the Bluepoint group. Dr Tran did a great job on my surgery and its not the surgery's fault, just not right for me. Im comfortable with Dr Halmi and Tran so I assume Dr Halmi will suggest the RNY.

Im not excited about the Dumping of RNY...especially being a culinary student. I HAVE to at least try my food.

But Im afraid of all the vitamins required of the DS. Ive seen someone lose too much on RNY and couldnt get enough vitamins in. Ughh...its so confusing.

What dr are you seeing now?
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Angela M.
on 4/21/10 3:28 am - Vicksburg , MS
I am seeing Dr. Osvaldo Anez....I don't know.  I am starting to think nothing but the DS will work for me.  But if I win the lottery then I can afford to pay all of that money Dr. Elariny charges!  LOL

So Dr. Halmi is charging you $1200 too huh?  That is the only reason I did not go back to him....I call it the fleecing of fat people...why would you charge so much out of pocket?

317/287/170

pokerchips
on 4/21/10 3:42 am
I concur completely with vitalady please find out specifically what YOUR surgeon means by Distal and how he will measure and what your commitment will mean to remain healthy with a "true" distal revision!  A lot of surgeons are making tons of money performing "distal" revisions where they only remove a few additional inches and you only lose a FEW additional pounds after going through another major surgery.

Also when a surgeon talks about making adjustments to your pouch get specifics., what's wrong with the current pouch? what will he do if there is too much scar tissue to make adjustments to your pouch.  What does he mean by DS "like"  another term surgeons throw around to give you the impression that you are getting more than you actually are...the old bait and switch.

What medical tests did your surgeon baste the above consultation on?  Has he seen your plumbing lately?

Write your questions down before you visit the surgeon again so that you can secure all of the information you deserve.  Make an informed decision and you will be just fine.

Change is a Process Not an Event

Angela M.
on 4/21/10 3:53 am - Vicksburg , MS
Thank you so much!  I am really thinking about just calming down and waiting another year to be able to afford the DS.  I think that is where I should go with this.  I am so afraid of failing again.  I lost about 40lbs the first time after surgery and I am just disgusted at this point.  There is only one doc in my area and he charges anywhere from $400-7,000 in out of pocket expenses....so I guess I will have to save up just to have a second consult with him (the first one is free).....

317/287/170

Most Active