RNY to DS approved and scheduled!!

SassyNicole
on 4/21/10 3:34 am - Harrisville, UT
Just wanted to share here also. I have been approved for my revision and it is scheduled for May 7th. I am so very excited to have this done and get back on the loosers bench!!!!

I had my original RNY in June of 2007. I did really well at first I started at 354 lbs and a BMI of 64. I lost down to about 220.....but that was it. I was okay with myself at that weight. But then it happened.....i started to regain. I am now currently betweet 275 - 280. I have since then learned everything I could about  the DS surgery and relized that it is the surgy I should have originally done... especially because by BMI was over 60. I've been very lucky that my insurance covers revisions and I was approved VERY easily.

So here I am now.....schedualed and ready to go back in ......and this time I know I can make it to goal!!

Thanks,
Nicole
sosoclark
on 4/21/10 5:02 am - Sacramento, CA
Nicole,

I am so glad for you. What insurance company did you have?
SUSIEQQ62
on 4/21/10 5:19 am - EXETER, PA
 Hey Nicole--
Wow does your story sound like mine.. I had my RNY in 2007 also and my BMI was 66.2--I had a total of 250 lbs to lose to my goal of 198--i am tall 5 9" But like u I have only made it so far--My lowest weight was like 235 last yr and then i just hit a long plateau and now I have gained weight and i am so upset--I was having the symptoms of an ulcer so I was sent for an Endoscopy last month and the doc found that i had 3 small polyps inside of my pouch and he removed them and they were biopsied and came back clean.. He also found a loose staple and a slightly enlarged pouch--Also a FISTULA..
 I asked others for theiw input and i found out that these are associated with Revision and i had no idea what exactly a revision was until i read about it on here.. I go to see the Bariatric surgeon in Danville PA where i had my surgery--my surgeon left But i am gonna see another Veteran surgeon there who has a great rep ..
 Tell me --did you have any other thing wrong that is leading to this revision other than the weight gain and not reaching your goal--You see I also would have chosen the DS--but my insurance then only paid for the lap band or the RNY so i had an ipen RNY.. I also am still on insulin and have diabetic complications.. I do have a different HMO as my prime insur with Medicare A B as secondary since i am still on Soc Sec Disability..
 I do not want to have another surgery=but if i am told i have no choice and the insur pays then i will..
 I am happy for you that you got approved and I will be praying for you..When is your surgery and can we add each other to freinds so we can share info???
 Hope to hear from you-as I believe Knowledge is Power and the docs do not always tell us everything--so i like to hear others and read about things myself..
 Oh ya--I live in NE PA..Where do u live?

God Bless
Susie SMith from Exeter PA

SUSIE SMITH FROM NE PA

Susie Smith from PA    

SassyNicole
on 4/21/10 5:41 am - Harrisville, UT
Hey there.....thanks guys!! I have Anthem blue cross/blue shield for my insurance.

Susie.....I do not and have never had any complications or co-morbidities. I have always been a healthy fat person lol. I do simply want the revision just because I am extreamly unhappy with the weight re-gain and how I look and feel. I fit all the requirement through my insurance which was to have a BMI over 40 or 35 with 2 co-morbidities, have a psych evaluation, and one meeting with a nutritionist.  I did those 2 appointments and submittted and had my aprroval in...i think it was 5 days!! I am schedualed for surgery on May 7th...so just over 2 weeks.

I have added you as a friend and we should for sure keep in touch!
nmroxie
on 4/24/10 12:10 pm - Lake Dallas,, TX
Hi there!  My story is so similar to yours except that I had my RNY in 2001 (my profile is posted).  I am schedule for my DS on Monday, May 3rd so watch for my posts! Keep me in your prayers and I will be rooting for you as well! I plan on finishing this journey I started 8 years ago!! Thank goodness for progress and improvements! Thanks for posting - talk to you on the other side (again!). 
Jackie P.
on 4/25/10 3:15 am - College Station, TX
Good Luck!

I'm thinking about a RNY to DS revision with Dr. Stewart as well. I'll be praying for you and anxious to hear about your recovery process.

Jackie

12/97 Molina Band 400 lbs
10/03 Revision to RNY by Dr. Dana Reiss @ 305 lbs.
1/05 TT/Hernia Repair, Dr. Sheryl Pilcher
4/06 LBL, Dr. Sheryl Pilcher
4/07 Medial Thighplasty, Dr. David Wishew
9/07 Brachioplasty, Mastopexy, Axilla Repair, Knee/Back lipo, Dr. David Wainwright

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/10 8:18 am - Bayonne, NJ
Congrats on approval, it really is the best thing. You will make it to goal! Hell, this time around, my goal is 38 lbs less than the RNY goal I was never able to meet.
Jules O.
on 4/23/10 11:10 am - Katy, TX
Hi Nicole,

You jave given me some hope :)  Here's my story....

I had my RNY April 4, 2006. I wieghed 328 and got down to 229 in 5 mos. But started gaining at 6 mos out. Kinda crazy since my pouch is still at 7oz. and I dump on dairy, fats & sugars. To the piont that when I eat around friends and family they all say... Oh please dont eat Julie.....

Since one year out my weight has gone up and down  250 - 270... The Ulcers play a huge part in the weight going up and down. I have been back several times to see my original surgeon. He puts me down everytime.... doesnt help... but he did mention briefly about changing mine to the DS. But he followed that up with the larger risk of death.... and I wouldnt do it.....Ug!

I workout 1-2 hours a day, quit smoking on 4/4/2006 cold turkey. But I am still FAT!!! I am so miserable!!

I also have Anthem Blue Cross so there might be some hope for me yet. I have thought about this for the last 6 months and made up my mind last Monday.... Im getting it done.

So now... Im trying to find the right surgeon and start the process. Im soooo very happy for you!
Jules

324/223/155
SassyNicole
on 4/23/10 4:25 pm - Harrisville, UT

YAY!!! good for you Jules. I was so unhappy too. I can't wait to have my surgry. I'm sorry your Dr. is such a jerk. My Dr. was sooo nice and supportive. He told me....if your not happy, I'm not happy either and I will do whatever I can for you. He never put me down but explained several different factors that could have contributed to my weight gain. I'm glad you decided to do it, and good luck with your insurance. If it is like mine it was extreamly easy to go through the process and get approval!!

Good luck and please keep me updated....i would love to follow your journy.

Nicole

Jules O.
on 4/24/10 10:09 am - Katy, TX
Thanks Nicole... I have an appointment to meet Dr.Davis. I have heard great things about him as well as his son. I hear they are great at revisions. I found out today that they are on TLC Big Medicine. I have watched it but i didnt realize it was them.

Please keep me updated as well. I would love to hear every step of your revision, especially since ours is the same.

I wish you all the best!
Julie
Most Active