What is a "forum message board"?

Jackie P.
on 4/20/10 9:56 pm - College Station, TX
As you can tell by my member date... I've been a member of OH for many years. Actually I think I started my membership in '96 and had to create a new profile for some reason, but I can't remember that far back. Throughout my time I have been a member of various boards. In fact, I remember the launching of the revision forum. An common thread that seems to run through each of the boards is that there seems to be a core group of people who bond and stick with the board for years providing information, support and encouragement to each other and to the transient visitors to the board who are looking for something specific.

So, what keeps this "core" of people coming back to the board? I suspect it is the relationship that they have with each other which was most likely developed over the course of sharing "personal" thoughts, feelings, experiences, etc. in a reciprocal fashion. If it wasn't for this dependable core of people on each board... there would be no information to share. If message boards and forums were only meant for information... they would be called enclyopedias dictionaries.

Personally, I like to read encyclopedias, dictionaries and research journals. However, when I'm getting ready to go under the knife... I prefer support from a community of others with whom I can relate and that genuinely care. 

Just some thoughts.

Jackie

12/97 Molina Band 400 lbs
10/03 Revision to RNY by Dr. Dana Reiss @ 305 lbs.
1/05 TT/Hernia Repair, Dr. Sheryl Pilcher
4/06 LBL, Dr. Sheryl Pilcher
4/07 Medial Thighplasty, Dr. David Wishew
9/07 Brachioplasty, Mastopexy, Axilla Repair, Knee/Back lipo, Dr. David Wainwright

StephOinAZ
on 4/21/10 3:08 pm
That was very nicely worded Jackie, and I quite agree.   I've made some really awesome friends on here that are more than just my own personal reference book to turn to in times of questions...but my confidants, companions, shoulders to cry on, and fellow rejoice-rs.  That is why I keep coming back.
mew6495
on 4/22/10 10:28 am - MI
So nicely put!  Thanks for reminding all of us that these boards do serve more then one purpose for many of us regardless of which one you are posting on.  I for one enjoy having a common community of people who I know understand what I went through, am going through and may face in the future....

Love your post...

Most Active