Why do DSers persist in posting on other message boards? Why the Surgery Wars?

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/10 7:18 am - San Jose, CA
In case you were wondering why we DSers "pay it forward," check out these threads:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4159143/Did-a-surgery-w ar-open-your-eyes-to-the-DS-If-so-post-to/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/3484967/Who-benefited-f rom-DSers-posting-on-other-forums/action,replies/topic_id,34 84967/page,1/

The second thread was started in 2007, and is still being added to.

By the way, if you look closely at the threads that devolve into Surgery War, you will see that the vast majority of the time, a DSer will post FACTUAL information (supported by peer-reviewed references) demonstating the superiority of the DS for most people, and someone with another surgery will get their knickers in a twist because they take that FACTUAL information to be a personal insult, and we're off and running.  But that doesn't matter to me, because these threads always get information about the DS to the attention of someone who needs to hear it.

If you are pre-op, I hope you will take a look at these threads and then do further research into the DS before you make your surgery choice.
StephOinAZ
on 4/19/10 12:09 pm
You know, I've found that too...that non- DS-ers love to throw in arguments that aren't based on fact at all.  I've never seen a DSer make claims that aren't fact or backed up in some way. 

I've done my research and I know that the DS is the best surgery for me now (after my lap-band mistake) and people just have to remember that what works for one person doesn't always work for everyone...but still I could not find one reason to get RNY over DS!

And even though I haven't had my revision yet, I still find that I have a new found pride for the DS and I love telling people about it.  Especially people who are thinking about another WLS.
(deactivated member)
on 4/19/10 2:09 pm - San Jose, CA
JRinAZ
on 4/19/10 3:11 pm - Layton, UT
On April 19, 2010 at 7:09 PM Pacific Time, StephOinAZ wrote:
You know, I've found that too...that non- DS-ers love to throw in arguments that aren't based on fact at all.  I've never seen a DSer make claims that aren't fact or backed up in some way. 

I've done my research and I know that the DS is the best surgery for me now (after my lap-band mistake) and people just have to remember that what works for one person doesn't always work for everyone...but still I could not find one reason to get RNY over DS!

And even though I haven't had my revision yet, I still find that I have a new found pride for the DS and I love telling people about it.  Especially people who are thinking about another WLS.
Hey Steph!
Congrats on your decision to revise to a DS!!!  GREAT choice!

I just wondered who you were going to go with for your surgery?  Arizona does not have ANY surgeons on the dsfacts.com list.  There is one surgeon who claims to have done hundreds of them but the information I have been given proves otherwise.  Going with him may be a game of Russian roullette.

Kudos to you for your research and your decision.

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

StephOinAZ
on 4/20/10 1:53 am
Actually the surgeon I'm going to be going through hasn't gone for the certification yet.  They will be going this summer to NY to study with one of the best DS surgeons in the country.  Once they get back I will be their first DS patient, if everything works out on the insurance side :)  I'm not worried since they've done hundreds and hundreds, if not thousands, of RNYs and sleeves as well as revisions...and now they've done the DS research and want to get on board with that.

I'm not supposed to drop names until it's official, but once it is I will be in contact w/ DSFacts and also let everyone here know, because I know how hard it is to try to arrange surgery out of state.  
StephOinAZ
on 4/20/10 1:55 am
If anyone in AZ does want more info on this surgeon PM me and I'd be happy to talk more 1 on 1 :)
(deactivated member)
on 4/19/10 10:39 pm
For me, my revision from an old VBG in /87 to Lap-band /06 was the right choice even four years out.    I do know many DSers personally who love their DS and it's certainly a great option.
StephOinAZ
on 4/20/10 1:58 am
That's super awesome!  I'm glad the band works for you.  Like I say on my profile, I will never bash the band just because it didn't work for me.  I think that if someone CAN be successful with the band, then it's the safest of all the surgeries.  I know a lot of people who have kicked serious butt with the band, as well as RNY.  Congrats on your success!!
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/10 2:16 am
Thanks Steph!    I wish you success with your revision, I'm sure you'll love your DS.   I know a few revisions from VBG to DS and they did super!
MarilynT
on 4/20/10 4:41 am
It's wonderful to have so many choices!

Personally I love my RNY; have for almost 9 years. But I understand that one size does not fit all...hence, choices.

Not considering or needing a revision; came to this board looking for some info for a friend (bandster).

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

Most Active