32.2 BMI high enough for a revision?

cutiebootz
on 4/13/10 8:35 am - milwaukee, WI
4 years out and I have gone from my lowest 141 to 188lbs. Most of that weight was put on within the last year.. Yup my honeymoon period is over.... you know when they say oh I have 40lbs gone forever.. Well it wasn't true for me. My pouch is stretched I have NO restriction. The bariatric dr told me in Nov  when I was about 169  that all I had to do is go back to the eatting like I did when I first had the surgery. Well kinda hard when ever 2 hours your tummy is rumbling or like me who is one of the unlucky that have HYPOGLYCEMIA because of this surgery... funny thing I had this surgery to stop me from getting diabetes and now i have the other extrreem where I make too much insulin.. its not just with sweets, it with certian types of food etc. Or just for whatever reason.... I don't know what to do. I am going to try the 5 day pouch test again...... I am getting my ass up and excercisihng more..
I NEED TO STOP MAKING EXCUSES AND WORK AT THIS...... I NEED TO GET MORE PHYSICAL..... I know all this, I AM ONLY HUMAN.. I just wish that iwould have been more prepared for the aftermath of the honeymoon phase.........
I wish that I had a lap band that could give me restriction.... I need that restriction that I lost..... i am my own worset enemy, I think that is what is making this is even harder to over come this...  MY point is..... I am lost, I need guidance and reasurrance that i am not the only one that feels like a WLS failure...... Thanks for listening to me vent... When people say to us that we took the easy way out. Bull! You still have to do things to make the tools work. My prob is I think I broke mine...

PRE-OP 283
CURRENT-167

GOAL/ Lowest 141!-New goal -145
http://www.myspace.com/skinnycutieboo

kamelion63
on 4/13/10 12:50 pm - McKinney, TX
I cant say much for RNY but I know that lapbands arent a breeze either. (complications)

I mostly see people say go back to basics of your pouch rules and make sure it for sure isnt head hunger... Then if that doesnt work see about getting your RNY checked out to see if you have in fact streched out.

One thing I do know is that it isnt always in your head. I really do have complications, it is not in my head. It took a while for me to convince my surgeon.

So be your advocate. YOU are the only one who knows if you are following all of the rules and are trying as hard as you can. If you decide that you are and it really is hunger then convince your surgeon to take a picture of your RNY and go from there.

If your surgeon doesnt want to, then find one who will and who can provide you with options.

To answer if your BMI is too low, it depends on your insurance and if it actually is stretched. There are many things to read up on with your insurance.

Anyway. Hope this helps and good luck with your continuing journey!
Kamelion63

Lap Band 10/2007 Had complications  - waiting on approval to have band removed and revised to RNY with NEW surgeon Dr. Nicholson!

HW 315 SW 286 CW285 GW 180

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." -Kurt Cobain
Zee Starrlite
on 4/14/10 4:22 am
Don't be down on yourself! 
Be positive! 
Love you no matter what! 
Don't give up, Don't give in! 
Don't stop!

There are others living and controlling their hypoglycemia post-op.  What are they doing?  Find out!  One thing I know is that you should have small meals throughout the day AND your carbs should only be complex carbohydrates - this should level out your blood sugar.

Go to Weigh****chers (yes we do filling foods and they push complex carbs if you are going to have them).  At WW, we have to be accountable because we Journal our food daily, weigh in weekly, have meetings weekly (you can go as many times per week that you need for one meeting price or the monthly pass is unlimited),  You get the support of your group leader, group, and other WW staff support,  their is online info and forums.  We have walking groups, challenges - all sorts of stuff that keeps you connected to your goals.  The thing is, never tell that you have had WLS :) 

It is really okay.  You are aware, you are a work in progress.  You are working on not letting your weight get out of hand.

Good Luck.  You can do this, you really can.

Best,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

cutiebootz
on 4/14/10 7:19 am - milwaukee, WI
Thank you sooo much!

PRE-OP 283
CURRENT-167

GOAL/ Lowest 141!-New goal -145
http://www.myspace.com/skinnycutieboo

mew6495
on 4/15/10 10:31 am - MI
On April 13, 2010 at 3:35 PM Pacific Time, cutiebootz wrote:
4 years out and I have gone from my lowest 141 to 188lbs. Most of that weight was put on within the last year.. Yup my honeymoon period is over.... you know when they say oh I have 40lbs gone forever.. Well it wasn't true for me. My pouch is stretched I have NO restriction. The bariatric dr told me in Nov  when I was about 169  that all I had to do is go back to the eatting like I did when I first had the surgery. Well kinda hard when ever 2 hours your tummy is rumbling or like me who is one of the unlucky that have HYPOGLYCEMIA because of this surgery... funny thing I had this surgery to stop me from getting diabetes and now i have the other extrreem where I make too much insulin.. its not just with sweets, it with certian types of food etc. Or just for whatever reason.... I don't know what to do. I am going to try the 5 day pouch test again...... I am getting my ass up and excercisihng more..
I NEED TO STOP MAKING EXCUSES AND WORK AT THIS...... I NEED TO GET MORE PHYSICAL..... I know all this, I AM ONLY HUMAN.. I just wish that iwould have been more prepared for the aftermath of the honeymoon phase.........
I wish that I had a lap band that could give me restriction.... I need that restriction that I lost..... i am my own worset enemy, I think that is what is making this is even harder to over come this...  MY point is..... I am lost, I need guidance and reasurrance that i am not the only one that feels like a WLS failure...... Thanks for listening to me vent... When people say to us that we took the easy way out. Bull! You still have to do things to make the tools work. My prob is I think I broke mine...
 Don't be so hard on yourself.  First thing is you are not a failure.  There are many people out there, many of them RNY original surgeries who have and are experiencing the same as you.

My BMI was 33 when I had my revision to an ERNY in 2008.  If you can prove mechanical failure then your BMI may not matter.  Depends on what your insurance policy entails.  Call them or go on line and check it out to see if they cover revision and under what cir****tances, if a revision is the route you want to go.

This is one reason, there is a "revision" board....people who have not lost the weight, who have mechanical failures or who have regained.  You are not a lone.  We have been there, done that.  Just do your own research, make sure it is YOUR OWN DECISION based on what you can live with and go for it!

Good luck with what ever you choose.
MEW

smileyjamie72
on 4/15/10 1:41 pm - Palmer, AK

Have you been over to the lightweights board???  Great buch of knowledgeable on there!!!

Go check 'em out!!
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_lightweights/

Good Luck!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8