Revsion....I AM STOKED !!!!

Debbie B.
on 4/11/10 12:57 am - Eagle River, WI
Hi:  Thanks so much.  I am glad to finally hear from someone who had this re-done.  Could you, when you have time, let me know a little of what you went thru and how much you lost after the 2nd surgery.

I really thought long and hard about the DS but it just was not right for me.  I have a lot of faith in this surgeon as I did my first surgeon, but I think they have learned a lot over the years and also realize I need to make changes as well.

Thanks again,
Deb
mew6495
on 4/11/10 1:26 am - MI
 I will PM you to respond to your additional questions.  

MEW

flucca
on 4/15/10 6:41 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
Deb-

In your revision is the surgeon planning to extend the bypass (shorten the common channel)  or just tighten up the pouch and stoma?  

Mew-

I see that you had erny, did the surgeon also revise the pouch or just the bypass?  What was your surgical experience and progress afterwards like?

I have been approved and scheduled for an rny to ds revision, thought I was past the nerves but some stories I've seen of the recovery from RNY to DS  revision are making me think long and hard.  Seems like great results, but very difficult surgery and recovery.  My surgeon has given me the option of DS or Erny, but said in that case he would not touch the pouch or stoma, just shorten the common channel.  From all that I've seen, I would most likely talk to him about leaving the common channel 150-200.  Any input would be welcome, thank you.
mew6495
on 4/15/10 10:43 am - MI
On April 15, 2010 at 1:41 PM Pacific Time, flucca wrote:
Deb-

In your revision is the surgeon planning to extend the bypass (shorten the common channel)  or just tighten up the pouch and stoma?  

Mew-

I see that you had erny, did the surgeon also revise the pouch or just the bypass?  What was your surgical experience and progress afterwards like?

I have been approved and scheduled for an rny to ds revision, thought I was past the nerves but some stories I've seen of the recovery from RNY to DS  revision are making me think long and hard.  Seems like great results, but very difficult surgery and recovery.  My surgeon has given me the option of DS or Erny, but said in that case he would not touch the pouch or stoma, just shorten the common channel.  From all that I've seen, I would most likely talk to him about leaving the common channel 150-200.  Any input would be welcome, thank you.
 Hi Flucca,

My surgeon did not touch my pouch.  I did not want to deal with the risk complication factors and only had about 60 lbs to loose.

My surgical experience was a good one.  I was in the hospital one night.  It was actually one of the easier surgeries I ever underwent.  I have had 6 open procedures previously.   I was off work 4 weeks and healed uneventful.  I am now at 123 lbs, 2 lbs below my personal goal.

There seem to be mixed results with the ERNY.  The DS will give you your poloric valve back and allow for greater calcium absorption.  I take about 23 vitamins a day to keep up with my labs.  There are trade offs.  If this would have been my first wls I would have went with the DS.  When I was researching revisions, there were not many DS surgeons who wanted to touch me because of my lower BMI.  If you can get to a very skilled REVISION surgeon I would probably recommend the DS to you as there seem to be many folks happy with the results.  But the choice needs to be yours and only you can decide if the risks are worth it.  A true RNY to DS revision surgeon can make all the difference in the world.  

Good Luck.
MEW

Debbie B.
on 4/16/10 8:09 am - Eagle River, WI
Mew:

I originally had an RNY but it was not done correctly...I will however...accept some of the blame.  My stomach is way too big and so is my stoma.  I believe all he is going to do is make the stomach much smaller and also the stoma.  Actually, I forgot to ask him about the common channel but will before surgery. 

I really thought long and hard about the DS but also did not like the recovery time.  Can't be off work that long and I just was not comfortable with it.  I did do a lot of research and sorted thru the misinformation out there.

Also, there are many, many people out there with successful RNY's

Good luck

DEB
smileyjamie72
on 4/15/10 1:53 pm - Palmer, AK

Deb-

ALL I CAN SAY HERE & CANNOT STRESS enough::::::::::::::::::::::::::: research, research, research!!!!  

Here is a link for you.  Just curious as to why you decided on the RNY?  Have you researched the DS?  Don't be afraid to ask questions!!!  There is lots if mis-leading information about DS.  Just thought I would mention that.
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

Here are a few more websites to check to get you started.
http://www.dsfacts.com/

http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

Good luck in YOUR journey!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Debbie B.
on 4/16/10 8:05 am - Eagle River, WI
Hi:  Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I did research all of this very carefully and really considered the DS.  It all came down to a personal choice and mine was not to do the DS but to have my RNY done correctly.

Thanks,
Deb
mew6495
on 4/16/10 1:05 pm - MI
 Deb,

Sounds like you researched.  As long as you are comfortable with your choice do what you feel is right for you.  You are  doing the right things by asking the questions and you are the one who has to live with your choice.  We are all avid believers in our choices.  I am still a contender that there is no one surgery that is right for absolutely everyone and only you can make the choice for yourself.  There are great surgeons out there and it is nice to live in a society where you have choices.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

MEW

Most Active