Revsion....I AM STOKED !!!!

Debbie B.
on 4/9/10 8:00 am - Eagle River, WI

Hi:  Don't post a lot ...spend a lot of time lurking, learning  and listening.

Well, I had my doctors appointment today and here is what he said:

You were doomed to fail !  not exactly what I wanted to hear but it did validate what I had been saying and that is that I never stayed full anymore.  So, he said my stomach is the size of a large orange/small grapefruit and my stoma was big enough for a large meatball to go thru.  So, that is why I am not staying full and always hungry. 

Here I thought I was a big fat failure when my RNY failed me.  Although, I have to accept some of the blame. 

So, the long and the short of it is I need to be revised.  I thought long and hard about the DS but just do not feel comfortable with that procedure.  Should probably have surgery in the middle of May.  My stomach will be the size of my thumb and my stoma will be about the size of my pinky or so.

So, thats it.....whew.....I feel so much better  !!!

Thanks,
Deb

Kerry J.
on 4/9/10 9:45 am - Santa Clara, UT
What are you revising to? I revised from a failed RNY to DS and I love it; it's the best thing I could have done. It's so much better than RNY, it's not even close. And I had RNY for 28 years. My only regret is that I didn't do it 10 years ago.

Kerry
Debbie B.
on 4/9/10 10:09 am - Eagle River, WI
Hi Kerry:  I had an RNY but it was not done correctly.  So, it is being revised by a different surgeon.

I did really strongly consider the DS.  It just is not right for me. 

I have a lot of faith in this surgeon and also feel that I need to make some changes for the better.

I know you are a strong believer in the DS and I respect that immensley.  It just is not right for me. 
Thanks,
Deb
Kerry J.
on 4/9/10 1:39 pm - Santa Clara, UT
You're right Deb, I'm a DS advocate, I've lived with both RNY and DS and I would never pick RNY over DS, I don't know of anything RNY does for you that the DS doesn't do better. DS wins in every conceivable way you can measure or compare. But it's your life and you get to live with the consequences of your decision, I don't, so this is all your choice. 

I hope it works out well for you, I really do, I wouldn't wish morbid obesity on anyone. 

I don't know who is selling you the goods on RNY, but I sure hope it's not the surgeon you're dealing with as that would be highly unethical of him.

Kerry

Debbie B.
on 4/10/10 3:55 am - Eagle River, WI
Hi Kerry: 

no, this is a decision I made on my own.  There are many, many happy people who have had RNY successfully and the same for the DS.  I think it just came down to a personal choice and the DS was just not right for me.

Thanks, I really appreciate you rinput.

DEB
flucca
on 4/9/10 9:55 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
Congratulations on your upcoming revision.  I too am having a revision but I'm confused by what your doctor said "you were doomed to fail"...........and noiw he's going to revise you to the same operation.....why will it not be "doomed to fail this time.  I'm just a little confused, how do you do a procedure which "fails" and then do the same procedure and expect a different outcome?  Please tell me if I am missing something.
Debbie B.
on 4/9/10 10:05 am - Eagle River, WI

Hi:  My stomach is about the size of an orange and was left too big from the previous surgury...different doctor 5 years ago....and my stoma was left way to big.  So he will revise me to a stomach the size of my thumb and a much smaller stoma.  He said my stoma is acting like a laundry shoot and the food empties out way to fast.  The smaller stoma will act like a funnel and keep the food in their longer and the much smaller stomach will allow me to eat les.

Sorry, did not mean to confuse anyone....I was just so excited.  Still have to get insurance approval which I think is pretty much already done.

Thanks and hope this helps.

Deb

huth7226
on 4/10/10 3:07 pm
Deb-  I totally understand where you are coming from.  I am also in the process of getting a lap band placed around my pouch as it is enlarged and the stoma is stretched out.  I also looked into the DS but decided it is not for me and am happy with my decision.  Good luck to you and soon you will be losing again!!!
Debbie B.
on 4/11/10 12:59 am - Eagle River, WI
Hey there:  thanks.  I think it really comes down to a very personal decision.  I am very pleased with my doctor and he spent a lot of time with me.  We all, though, need to make changes to make any of these work......protein, eating correctly, vitamins and EXERCISE.....which is a real bug-a-boo for me. 

Good luck to you,
Debi
mew6495
on 4/10/10 11:45 pm - MI
 Good Luck to you Debbie on your new Journey!  You will do great.  

I too had RNY and revised to ERNY in Oct. 2008.  I am down to 123 lbs and doing very well.  I wish you much success in your new adventure.  Please keep posting and letting us know how you are doing.

MEW

Most Active