What kind of revision from RNY ?

Libby S.
on 4/7/10 7:35 am - Mobile, AL
Hello,

I had an open RNY and my opening has stretched and I have gained about 45 pounds. My BMI is right at 35, with comorbidities.

I am not sure what kind of revision is possible for me.  I have read about the revisions and considered a sleeve but my insurance (BCBS) does not cover that.

Is there just a "revision" to the old RNY that is still considered a RNY ??  

My insurance will pay for a RNY or a lap band.    I might be able to get a lap band OVER RNY but I dont think I want that.  Can anyone who has a lap band over RNY tell me about your experience please.

Any other suggestions about revisions would be appreciated !

Any thoughts or suggestions, anyone ??

Kerry J.
on 4/7/10 9:44 pm - Santa Clara, UT
The best thing you can revise to for long term weight loss and more normal eating is the DS; it's fantastic. Your insurance can probably be made to cover it too; from what I've read, the way to go about it is to get approved for RNY revision, then switch to the DS. But I'm not much of an insurance guru, you should post this over on the DS Forum; there are a number of insurance experts there who could really help you

Kerry  
MBeauty
on 4/14/10 8:21 am - Freeport, NY
Hi
  I had the RNY and now over it I have the lap Band and I love it.
Jennifer J.
on 4/17/10 11:59 am - Bartlett, TN
Libby,

You and I seem to be in the same boat. I recently found out that the opening from my pouch into my intestine had stretched to twice the size it was supposed to be. I also gained 45 pounds back of the 113 pounds I had lost. I have been trying my hardest to lose it again, but because food doesn't stay in my stomach for more than a few minutes (literally), I'm always feeling hungry or "empty". My doctor is Dr. Virginia Weaver. I know that she (not my original surgeon as I moved from California to Tennessee a few years ago) does the lap band over RNY. I've read about that procedure, as well as switching from RNY to DS, but I haven't seen any evidence that she perfoms that procedure. As you can imagine, waiting to hear back from her to find out what kind of surgery she will want to do is absolute torture.

Mbeauty,

What is it about the band over RNY that you like? Did you lose weight as easily as the initial surgery? Did  it stop hunger and make you able to go back to being satisfied with a tiny amount of food? Did you have the band put on with laparascopic surgery or was it open? How much weight did you regain before having the band put on and how much have you lost since the procedure?  I'd really appreciate any information you can give about your experience with the band.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 4/18/10 1:55 am - Tuvalu
 IMHO, a combo of the band and RnY would be the Worst of Two Horrible Worlds.

Tha LapBand--it's on page 7, I think of the manufacturer's booklet--helps 22% of the people who get one to lose half of their excess weight...only about 10% lose 75% of their excess weight.  

In other  words, 78% of people who get the band don't lose even half their excess weight...and 90% don't lose 75%.  

I revised from band to DS.  

My new mantra:  LapBand...your first step to your NEXT weight loss surgery.
smileyjamie72
on 4/18/10 2:47 am - Palmer, AK
I just posted a LONG reply with all kinds of good links to start with on Nay_Nay's post.
Here the the link to the post for you!!!
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4151979/Revision- information/

Please forgive me for just giving you a link, but, it was a LONG post I replied on her's!!!  Sorry!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Most Active