Input on Extended RNY

JROLFSON
on 4/15/10 2:17 am - St. George, UT
Touche! Joyce...How right you are on all points...

Janie
HispitAnn
on 4/15/10 11:03 pm - Phx, AZ
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT get this ERNY!!!!!  It nearly killed me. I had mine Nov '08.  Within 5 months I lost over 50 lbs. I ate VERY VERY CORRECTLY.  I took vitamins and supplements, including protein aminos.  Within 6 months, my blood counts dropped.  I became severely ill and ended up taking a medical leave from work.  It took almost a year to figure out what was wrong. 

After seeking help at Mayo, it was found that I had a severe SEVERE bacterial overgrowth, which I might add, antibiotics did not even relieve.  But the main thing is-- I had to have a REVERSAL of that revision...to lengthen that common channel to Mayo's specifications...a more healthy one.  The Mayo surgeon found my small intestine to be LESS than 50 cm (40-50 cm!!!!!)  This surgery was done by the same surgeon as JR's & Joyce's (above). 

Now, 5 months later, I am STILL unable to work.  I still suffer with deficiencies.  I am left with a bill of Thousand$ to fix what was done in '08. 

You'd be better off getting another type of revision.

I wish you the best.
ginau
on 4/16/10 5:25 am - mesa, AZ
Research , Research, Research !!  best advice anyone can give !!

I too had the same surgeon  as Joyce, Janie and Hispitann  & Mew

We all have  differant feelings and Idea's  on the revision surgery.  

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

mew6495
on 4/16/10 12:51 pm - MI
 You are so right.  RESEARCH is key.   No two people have the same exact experience.  I had my procedure in 2008 as well.  I am maintaining at ~125 and vitamin levels are good and feeling fine.   So far so good for me.  

I wish you all the best with your choices and journeys.
MEW 

Monique H.
on 4/19/10 4:46 am
I guess I feel obligated to post. I had distal rny done cc supposedly 150. Was in gym 1.5 - 2 hours a day 4-6 days a week. calories 800-1000. Got down to 221 from 272 and then not matter what I did, went back up to 236 which is what I am today. There seems to be this six month thing with me. I loose for six months and then stop losing and go back up. I've even tried diet pill (which I felt was a no no) and the scale still wouldn't budge. I have a consult with Dr. K, who does rny to ds revisions, this Thursday.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Most Active