Pros for RNY Revision

Ladyb1973
on 4/1/10 8:39 am
Here's a little bit of background:
Had Lap-Band removed, filling - unfilling vomiting created complications 13 months ago, gained all weight back after it's removal and would like a revision to RNY, seen therapist & and will need to speak to bariatic surgeon as to the pros/cons thereapist and Dr. are being rather negative that the revision will not work and that I shouldn't get my hopes up, but of course i'm not in agreeance. My thing is i've gone thru some intense thereapy to come to terms w/loss of band and other things in life that I had not addressed when I had gotten the band and in losing the band it all came full force and now in a very good place and feel I am ready for the revision it's been 13 months, any advice or feed back on talking to the Dr. Thanks everyone for your help and input in advance.

Lady B :0)
Ms. Cal Culator
on 4/1/10 9:47 am - Tuvalu

Have you looked into the other options as well?

The sleeve--like the band--is just restrictive.
The RnY is MOSTLY restrictive, with a little bit of malabsorption.
The DS is mostly malabsorption, with some restriction.

I'm very biased in favor of the DS and in California, we are fortunate enough to have SEVERAL qualified DS surgeons.   Make sure this is the LAST wls surgery by knowing ALL of your options.

Sue

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/10 9:12 pm - Califreakinfornia , CA
Damn you Sue, where the hell were you when I made my stoopid choice to revise back to my crapband. I think I shall hate you and steal your hot husband away from you.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 4/3/10 11:29 pm - Tuvalu
On April 4, 2010 at 4:12 AM Pacific Time, PUMPKIN X. wrote:
Damn you Sue, where the hell were you when I made my stoopid choice to revise back to my crapband. I think I shall hate you and steal your hot husband away from you.

Yo do not weigh enough to have a huge malabsorptive surgery.  Leave the fat kids alone and go play with the skinny ones. 

And.he's old, mostly deaf and the husband you already have makes more money than this one.  
(deactivated member)
on 4/4/10 10:20 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
On April 4, 2010 at 6:29 AM Pacific Time, Ms. Cal Culator wrote:
On April 4, 2010 at 4:12 AM Pacific Time, PUMPKIN X. wrote:

Yo do not weigh enough to have a huge malabsorptive surgery.  Leave the fat kids alone and go play with the skinny ones. 

And.he's old, mostly deaf and the husband you already have makes more money than this one.  
Well fine then hmph.
brandyII
on 4/3/10 4:12 am
Lady B,

I was not very successful with the band and it caused some other comps so I had it removed.  I felt like a WLS failure but since my daughter had RNY after I was banded and did very well and since I gained even more weight after my band was removed and it made me really depressed I decided to go ahead with a revision to RNY.  At my age and with my co-morbs and since the lapband was a failure I didn't have a ton of hope but it worked and I haven't looked back.

I don't know why the doctors and therapists are steering you away from a revision.  All I know is I should have had RNY in the first place and I never would have gone through all the issues I had after banding!  Anyway good luck to you, Nancy.
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

Ladyb1973
on 4/3/10 4:26 pm
Thanks so much for all of your information and experiences it has been a great help and give me some perspective on my situation!

LadyB

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/10 9:10 pm - Califreakinfornia , CA
Like a complete MORON I revised back to the band.   What the hell was I thinking ? I blame Sue for this   I should have had a DS.
Kerry J.
on 4/4/10 11:37 am - Santa Clara, UT
I had and lived with a RNY type WLS for 28 years and IMO RNy sucks unless you like to diet and do dieting for the rest of your life. I got a revision to DS in Sept. 2008 and it's like heaven; it's so much better than RNY. It's also much more effective in helping keep the weight off long term. After having had both, there's no way I would recommend RNY; I would however recommend the DS; it's awesome!

Kerry
Most Active