Pain after surgery revision from band to bypass

skifan1
on 3/29/10 11:11 pm - OH
I have heard that the pain level after surgery for people that have had their band removed and a bypass (RNY) performed is higher than just a regular RNY surgery mostly due to the scar tissue removal from the band.  So, if you have had this revision what was the pain level for you?  Was it controlled well with pain meds?  When I had lap band surgery it was so easy.  Had almost no pain and only used pain meds twice after surgery.

Theresa
emjayel56
on 3/31/10 3:39 am - Boynton Beach,, FL

Theresa,

I had my revision from band to bypass last August.  I think the first day for a few hours i had pain but mostly remembering just being uncomfortable with the drains.   By time I left the hosptial I was taking no pain medicine and was able to sleep more comfortably than with the lapband surgery.  I had two drains in me, one was removed the 2nd day in hospital and the one that bothered me was one left in for a week.  I would not let it deter you from doing the surgery; I would do it again in a heartbeat.   By the way I had two lapbands before the revision so there was alot of scar tissue and they also did it laparascopically.  Good luck.

Maryjo

BELOW GOAL WEIGHT... LOST 151 LBS AND CURRENTLY WEIGH 138 LBS.  ... Maryjo

skifan1
on 3/31/10 8:40 pm, edited 3/31/10 8:47 pm - OH
Thanks for your reply Maryjo!  I am going ahead with the surgery, the pain won't stop me from that.  Great job on your weight loss!! 
Debba
on 3/31/10 6:31 am - West Deptford, NJ
Revision on 05/19/09 with
When I had my band removed, there was scar tissue (I also had my gallbladder removed previously) so what started out as laparascopic surgery ended up open.  Pain level was slightly higher for me because of the incision, but I still didn't need the prescription pain meds (never opened the bottle), just used liquid extra-strength tylenol.  I had my band removed, a hiatal hernia repaired, and the RNY all in one fell swoop and I was back to work in 3 weeks (I was shooting for a 2-week recovery, but having the RNY done open set me back a week).  I think you'll be fine!

Debbie

skifan1
on 3/31/10 8:45 pm, edited 3/31/10 8:48 pm - OH
Debbie

I am also having this done as an open procedure so I know there will be a little more pain from the incision.  I am lucky because I have six weeks to recover.  Thanks for the words of encouragement!!  Looks like you have lost a lot of weight!  Great job!

Theresa
lil one to be .
on 4/1/10 11:17 am - Somewhere out there
I had my revision on Feb 26th and the pain was no different from when I was banded.  Only needed pain meds in the hospital and none at home.  Good Luch

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney.

HW 245 / SW 223 / CW 154 / GW 145

Cathleen S.
on 4/3/10 2:44 pm
Hi!
 I was revised last tuesday. I had to have a piece of my stomach removed where the band had sat for three years because otherwise the tissue would have been too weak to uphold a staple line. I have a lot LESS pain this time. The only truly painful time for me in the hospital was recieving potassium IV. I actually cried the pain was so intense. Other than that none really.
 i have been running around like crazy since I got home and overdid it a few times so had to use my pain meds.
Keep in touch! Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

~Any reality you can imagine~

Most Active