Need Revision to VBG

amynappier
on 3/30/10 2:14 pm - Pearland, TX
I everyone!

I had a VBG in 2004 and lost about 75 pounds in the first 2 years.  However, it was not long after that when the vomitting started.  It has been 4 years of a nearly daily vomitting thinking that I had "failed" and that was the reason that I was vomitting and eventually gaining weight back. 

Here it is 6 years later, I have gained back about 30 pounds and am sick and tired of vomitting being a normal part of life so I finally broke down and went to a bariatric surgeon.  It did not take many tests to determine that my silicone band had cut into my stomach and made the exit from my pouch about a 1/4 of the size of what it should be.  My surgeon says that I need to have it corrected and changed to a RNY.  He said that this is "not WLS, it is a correction to fix a very serious problem". 

He said that the RNY will be a tool for me to lose weight still but I'm wondering if anyone can give me an idea of how much weight to expect?  I currently weigh 205 pounds.  I still have weight to lose but am reading through the forums and am seeing so many disappointing posts about people who have revision surgery and only lose about 30 pounds.  Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone!
mrlddst
on 3/31/10 12:42 am - Virginia Beach, VA
What about the DS?
Michelle H.
on 3/31/10 12:44 am - Canada
I lost 170 pounds with my RNY and honestly I LOVED it... up until two years ago (had it done in 1999).  My stoma has stretched out and now I no longer ever feel full.  I have regained 80 pounds.  I am looking at revising to the DS as this is the best option for me.  Make sure you do your research, ask lots of questions and Good luck on whatever you decide on.

daisylou1976
on 3/31/10 10:27 am - , Canada
HI, I am also revising to the RNY,  I had the VBG in 1998.  I only lost about 40 lbs with it.  I am in BC and we do not do the DS here, but if it was available to me, I would do it in a heart beat. 

I asked the same question about revisions losing slower than someone who was a first timer, people say that you do lose slower, but maybe if you follow the "ruled of the pouch" to a T and only eat the quantities that a primary rny post op would eat then you may lose the same?   who knows really.  Maybe our stomachs stretch differently from one another. 

I did hear that they just re staple the old vbg line when the revise to a rny, which in my opinion is really not good.  I can put away a lot of food, way more than someone who has just had the rny, and If i have  the same capacity revised as I do now, then there is no doubt that I will lose slower.  The same doctors say that there isn't a significant amount of intestines being bypassed to make a huge difference in the weight loss.  ?????

I still need to talk to more doctors to find out everything.

But really do your research, you are pretty light for an rny, but I'm not saying that you shouldn't have it because you need to get rid of the stupid vbg  but since you don't have a huge amount of weight to lose, it may be just what you need :)  Hope you find out lots of information.

best of luck with your revision

Sandi

Most Active