Sleeve or DS

Eleonore
on 3/29/10 12:34 pm - New Jersey

As we all know one of the differences between the Band and the Sleeve is that the Sleeve reduces hunger since (the portion of stomach that produces Ghrelin, the hunger stimulating hormone, is removed). I need a revision from an unsuccessful band and I’m in favor of the DS, but a friend told me that I should research the Sleeve which offers excellent advantages in view of the fact that the Gastric Sleeve reduces hunger for this reason is the best choice for a band revision. Are you happy with the Sleeve? Have you ever wish you had the DS instead? Are you planning a revision to the DS?

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken
US poet (1874 - 1963)

Ms. Cal Culator
on 3/29/10 3:13 pm - Tuvalu

I went from band to DS...so let me throw in MY reasoning:

I didn't eat my way to morbid obesity because I was hungry.   So...I knew I'd probably STILL eat when I wasn't hungry.  So I needed (still need) malabsorption.  You may not....but I did.
Eleonore
on 3/31/10 8:47 am - New Jersey

Thanks a lot. I know what you mean... I really appreciate your help.

Eleonore

Mike A.
on 3/30/10 12:30 am - Independence, MO
I considered the VSG after attending a seminar. The surgeon performed VSG, RNY, DS and Lap Band so she was able to talk knowledgeably about them all.
After looking at it more in depth I knew that there was no way restriction alone would work for me. My stomach would stretch out over time and I would be able to eat more. (BTW, I still get hungry even though the Ghrelin production is reduced.) I knew that I'd need the malapsorption that the DS provides. I suggest that you check out dsfacts.com for more info.

Mike
HW 452/SW 428/ CW 188/GW 190

Eleonore
on 3/31/10 8:50 am - New Jersey

I agree with all that you said, totally. Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it.

Eleonore
Zee Starrlite
on 3/31/10 2:16 am, edited 3/31/10 2:20 am
I think it is really an individual thing.  The Lap Band quiets my hunger tremendously and I have serious physical hunger issues.  I keep a fairly loose band BUT I can tell when it is really loose.  Hunger is horrible for me, just unbearable.  So with the Band my hunger issues are completely resolved.  AMAZING!!!

Talk to people on the the VSG board.  Some have hunger issues resolved completely. Some people stay hungry post-op, some people have their hunger quieted only to return months or a year or two post-op as the ghrelin returns and the stomach stretches. 

As a general rule, if you have done well with a working band, then you will do well with a sleeve.  If you have done poorly with a working band, a sleeve won't do you any better.  If that is the case, malabsorbtion will do a better job for you.  The Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy w. Duodenal Switch would be a great option.

Best,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Eleonore
on 3/31/10 8:52 am - New Jersey

Thank you for the advice Leila. I agree with your thoughts on this matter.

Eleonore

gmcadams
on 3/31/10 10:32 am - Walton, KY
Eleonore, I have had my band for about 4 years.  Lost 100lbs.  Last fall started having trouble with restriction.  Dr. emptied my band in Jan.  waiting for 6 months to see if he can refill and get my restriction back.  I have put back on a lot of weight.  Dr. recommended the sleeve, when I first started having problems.  I love my band, it worked for me.  Depressed at this time with weight gain, not wanting to exercise etc.  Worried that insurance will not pay for the sleeve.  Tell me the difference between the DS and the sleeve.  When are you planning on having your revision? 
Gail McAdams
Zee Starrlite
on 4/1/10 12:34 am
Has your doc tried to refill you band?  Don't hurry to the next surgery if you haven't tried your band again.

The Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy would be a great option for you if you needed to revise.  I say this because you've done great with the band and it too is a "restrictive only" weight loss surgery.

Do some research BUT make sure your band is out of the game for sure before you do a revision.

Best,
L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Eleonore
on 4/1/10 4:36 am, edited 4/1/10 4:36 am - New Jersey
Hi gmcadams,

I'm also searching for some answers, but definitely any of the two are superior to the band.
Go to my post on the Vertical Sleeve board dated 3/29/10 7:33 pm and read the responses. But also visit the DS Board and read what they have said about it. Let me know your final decision. As for me I
will let you know after my appointment for revision with the surgeon.

Visit these two excellent sites!

http://www.dsfacts.com/index.html
http://www.yourbariatricsurgeryguide.com/duodenal-switch/#wh o

Eleonore
Most Active