questions, vent, lap band needs out..

Crystal Z.
on 3/25/10 9:55 am - Sag Harbor, NY
I have to get my band removed due to an ulcerated esophagus, but I was seriously considering a revision to the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, I got a call from the doctors office, and they said insurance will pay for the band to come out, but then I'll have to go through the 6 month nutrition classes, and then they will submit a request, and if approved they will do the surgery. So then I will have to get another surgery, thats nuts! Why can't they do it all in one surgery?? Wouldn't it cost the insurance company way more money to do 2 different surgeries...

I AM SCARED!!! I know getting the band out will make me feel better, BUT, it will also feel comfortable to eat more food... a part of me feels like I should suffer through this pain, just to keep my band.

For those of you that lost the band, and had a revision did they do it in one surgery? Did insurance pay?
TIA
Crystal

Thank you all who listened and helped with my initial post

Crystal Dawn
Everybody deserves a second chance, I got mine!
Beginning weight: 262
Current weight: 249
Goal weight: 160
~Life is a mystery to be lived, Not a problem to be solved~

USAF Wife
on 3/25/10 11:05 am
How absolutely ridiculous ! ! ! I'm sorry you are having to deal with that ridiculous 6 month wait.

I had my band to sleeve revision in one procedure. My insurance approved it, but only at a military hospital as our insurance is NOT covering VSG/revisions to VSG with civilians.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

beckywarf
on 3/25/10 1:58 pm - Flagstaff, AZ
I would write a letter to your insurance or contact your patient advocate with your insurance, have your surgeon explain the benefits of only one surgery and anesthesia.  My lapband - rny was done at the same time, and the scar tissue removed, hirnea repaired and so on.  Include photos of yourself, make it personal, I did!
lady-luck
on 3/25/10 5:33 pm - Orange, CA
I am going from band to sleeve in one surgery as long as there is not too much scarring. My band has slipped. I am with Kaiser
GLN
on 3/27/10 12:51 am
Curry is doing my revision its my choice Im tired of the band and all the problems that come with it  Im self pay so I dont know about the insurance our ins will not cover.  I want the band out before it gives me serious trouble....  
Good Luck Tee
skifan1
on 3/27/10 9:56 am - OH
Did your surgeon say that your stomach or esophagus needed to heal before another surgery can be done?  I know people who have had their band removed and had RNY done at the same time but I also know people who had their band removed and there was so much damage and scar tissue that the surgeon told them they needed to heal before another surgery could be performed.
Most Active