My surgery is next Tuesday and I got a letter from my insurance co today

Cathleen S.
on 3/24/10 8:34 am
I am so confused. They sent me a letter today.... less than a week before surgery telling me congratulations that I was just approved for hospital care following my procedure (lapband conversion to RNY).... were they going to cover the surgery but not the hospital stay? Then at the end of the letter it says that YOU WILL BE COVERED IN FULL FOR THE NECCESARY HOSPITAL STAY, UNLESS
 yup thats right it says UNLESS and then goes on for a whole other page of reasons why I might not get covered. Then it says that just because they say it is approved for coverage it does not mean that they will pay the hospital for the fees......... What the heck does that mean?
I called my surgeons office and they put me through to the claims dept and they told me not to worry that I am all set. but SERIOUSLY??? Who needs that kind of stress a week before surgery?.... Sorry to vent....~Cathleen

~Any reality you can imagine~

Valerieb09
on 3/25/10 9:56 am - Seacoast, NH
You probably are worrying for nothing....I got a complete denial for my revision a few weeks before then a week later I got approval.  They will cover the revision if it is "medically necessary" and I know yours is.  Dr. Lautz's office knows how to do the paperwork and get it all covered.
I wish you luck next week!  I hope you can have someone post of how your surgery went!

Revision June 9, 2008
Lapband to RNY
117 lbs. lost as of 09-08-10
Dr. David B. Lautz~~~~~Simply the Best!
Brigham & Women's Hospital

Boston, Massachusetts

Cathleen S.
on 3/25/10 11:08 am
Thanks Valerie! I actually plan to bring my laptop with me... I will be sooooo bored in the hospital for more than a day...lol How r u? Looks like you are doing VERY very wel with the RNY... hope it works better for me than the band. Thanks ~Cathleen

~Any reality you can imagine~

Valerieb09
on 3/26/10 10:54 am - Seacoast, NH
Hi Cathleen,

I am doing good....how are you?  Now that I think of it I do think my letter said the same thing.  I have it somewhere.
I have done really well with the RNY.  I wish I had done that first but hey I wanted less invasive due to having had cancer.  I have no trouble eating although my taste buds did change a little.
I could probably lose a little more if I had my panni removed but I don't want another surgery as I had shoulder surgery last year.  I lost so much weight I was a shoveling fool last winter and tore muscles in my shoulder.  You lose over a 100 lbs. you got energy........I have lots that's for sure.
I think it will work well for you....you had great success initially with the band and I think you will have great success with this too!

Revision June 9, 2008
Lapband to RNY
117 lbs. lost as of 09-08-10
Dr. David B. Lautz~~~~~Simply the Best!
Brigham & Women's Hospital

Boston, Massachusetts

Most Active