Why am I swelling so badly?

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/10 11:37 am
Anyone else had issues with swelling?

Recently my legs, feet, and hands have been swelling really bad.  Not sure if this is a vitamin def. issue or what??

I go back to my family dr. tomorrow and as of now they have no idea.. I've reduced my salt intake, been keeping my legs elevated..

Any ideas?
Tara
Lorie2
on 3/23/10 1:03 pm
What kind of revision did you have? I had a revision from rny to erny. I also was swelling . My prealbumin was pretty low. My body wasn't absorbing protein very well. I did have to go on tpn which is an intervenous that was mostly protein to get my numbers up. Once they were up I went off the tpn and the swelling went away.  Things didn't go well for me because it came back, My doctor recommended I have my common channel lengthend a bit to absorb protein and vitamins better. So last Dec. I had my common channel lengthed. I was a 100cm and now is 200cm. I have had no problems since. My labs are good and I feel good. definitly sounds like a deficiency.
Lori
JRinAZ
on 3/23/10 3:14 pm - Layton, UT
Hi Tara,
My swelling was due to low protein counts (prealbumin or something like that).  Once I cranked up the protein (I added 5 eggs a day to my meal plans in addition to 5 protein drinks a day)....and finally the swelling diminished.

Check with your doc for sure.  Swelling can be a result of a lot of serious issues. 

Let us know and take care of YOU!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

mew6495
on 3/26/10 2:49 pm - MI
 Hi Tara,

I too had the same problem with swelling about 8 moths ago.  I had a revision to an ERNY with a CC of 75 cm.  I upped my protein by focusing on mostly protein during meals and increasing my protein shakes by 1 or 2 more a day and my swelling went away.  It has not returned since......

Good Luck,
MEW

(deactivated member)
on 3/28/10 12:12 am
Thanks for the input ladies.. My family Dr. was completely clueless...

I've never been a fan of protein shakes but I guess it's time I I become one. I have increased my protein with eggs and such and already noticed a decrease in my swelling.

Tara
Kerry J.
on 3/28/10 2:02 pm - Santa Clara, UT
Get some Champion Pure Whey Stack samples from Vitalady in chocolate, cookies & cream, banana etc. They are very good, sort of like drinking chocolate milk, I drink one or two a day, even my wife Barb drinks them and she's not a weight loss patient and has never been overweight. 

They mix easily too, all you need is a shaker cup with a mix ball / spring like this one:

www.allstarhealth.com/f/blender_bottle.htm

Kerry

beth brown
on 3/28/10 11:12 pm - Marshall, MO

Hi Kerry ,

Thanks for sharing the link on the mixer bottle . I was wondering were to find that protien product ? 

Is it made by Champion ? I have been having a bit of swelling my self and I have gotten away from the protien shakes , used to never really mind them  , kinda like you stated ...viewed them as a treart if you can find a good tasting one .

Now are these or this brand like meal realplacment shakes or are they snacks ?  I have read your profile before and you are such an inspiration ... I am post LAP/RNY , 5-13-2004 was the beautiful day , but now 2 kids later I am close to my start weight witch is 330 lbs...honestly dont even know were to get started ..I wanted to have a revision but was denied by my insuarance !!!

So I do know that I have to get focused ....any tips from this point ?

Thanks Again , Beth
Kerry J.
on 3/29/10 1:27 am - Santa Clara, UT
Hi Beth,

The Champion Pure Whey Stack powder is not a meal replacement, it's very low carb protein powder, which is one of the reasons I like it so much, the other is that it just tastes good.

I get all mine from www.vitalady.com here's the link to the Pure When Stack protein powder:

http://www.vitalady.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&keywords=championstack&SORTKEY=description&SORTORDER=ascending&template=Templates/sr_champion_stack.html

I would order the samples to see which ones you like best before I got a 3 or 5 lb. tub.

You've got a tough row to hoe Beth, you're basically starting over. From my experience, the old RNY isn't going to be much if any help. Do you have any "pouch" problems? Dumping, food sticking etc.?

When I had the RNY, the only way I could maintain was just pure diet and exercise and the pouch problems I had made doing that even more difficult. I suppose that's why I'm such a rabid proponent of the DS and so adamate about how ineffective RNY is. You and I are examples of how ineffective it can be.

I wish you well in your efforts, it's a worthwhile but difficult thing you want to do. The only "tips" I can think of is to try and stick to high protein, low carb, low fat diet with you increase your activity level.

Kerry
(deactivated member)
on 3/29/10 10:52 am
Thanks Kerry... I just went onto the vitalady site and ordered some samples..

I look forward to trying them.
Tara
Most Active