two surgeries

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/10 11:58 am

I would like to know if to revise from the band to the sleeve you need to have two surgeries one to remove the band, then after certain time when the stomach recovers, the second surgery, to make the sleeve.

kamelion63
on 3/20/10 12:14 pm - McKinney, TX
Tomasia,

My revision surgeon wants me to have the band removed to heal and then do the RNY. I have however had complications with my band so that may be why.

Have you consulted a revision surgeon?
Kamelion63

Lap Band 10/2007 Had complications  - waiting on approval to have band removed and revised to RNY with NEW surgeon Dr. Nicholson!

HW 315 SW 286 CW285 GW 180

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." -Kurt Cobain
(deactivated member)
on 3/20/10 1:06 pm
No, not yet. But I think that after removing the band, they want to heal first.
uk-lady
on 3/21/10 3:07 am - Orange, CA
My surgeon is hoping to do the revision at the same time but it depends on scarring as my band has slipped and the damage may need to heal first. He wont know until he removes the band.
Take care cos I care

Hugs
Myra
Valerieb09
on 3/21/10 3:26 am - Seacoast, NH
A really skilled surgeon will do it all at once. My surgeon removed my lapband, removed tons of adhesions from when I had my right kidney out in 2003, repaired an umbilical hernia I didn't know I had, then did the RNY. It was a difficult surgery but far better to be under just once.

Revision June 9, 2008
Lapband to RNY
117 lbs. lost as of 09-08-10
Dr. David B. Lautz~~~~~Simply the Best!
Brigham & Women's Hospital

Boston, Massachusetts

PekinSal
on 3/21/10 7:17 am - UK
I disagree - I'd rather be safe and wait for my stomach to heal for a few weeks than risk a leak. The removal surgery is quite minor - I was in and out in a day.

I then had to wait at least six weeks for the stomach walls to shrink back to a more normal thickness. This makes them easier to stitch and less likely to cause trouble. I prefer someone cautious with my insides.

DS revision from failed lapband

kamelion63
on 3/21/10 7:50 am, edited 3/21/10 7:54 am - McKinney, TX
I disagree with the "really skilled surgeon will do it all at once" comment.  It is not about whether or not your surgeon CAN do it, it is about whether they believe that removing the band is better and creates less complications with your new surgery.

Also, it would depend on exactly how much damage was done by the band. I have heard of 3 to 4 hour repair surgery with the RNY after the band has eroded into your stomach or created too many adhesions. So maybe a revision to a sleeve would not be as long, but may be pretty complicated as well. We all have to remember this is a REVISION, not a virgin surgery.

I personsally dont want TWO surgeries, but I also dont want complications having already gone through a lot of pain from complications with the band. I trust my surgeon's opinion whole heartedly. (A good idea before going under the knife with them)

I think it is your surgeon's preference, not his or her skill that determines their opinion on the matter.
Kamelion63

Lap Band 10/2007 Had complications  - waiting on approval to have band removed and revised to RNY with NEW surgeon Dr. Nicholson!

HW 315 SW 286 CW285 GW 180

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." -Kurt Cobain
JROLFSON
on 3/25/10 4:17 am - St. George, UT
I have a question to you...Why did you deactivate your account? Not that it's any of my business but that's so sad that you would leave the Revision site if you're planning to have a revision. There are so many knowledgable people here that have insight on all revisions...

Sorry to see you go...

Janie Rolfson
Most Active