Revision BOB - pain :-(

Diane G.
on 3/19/10 11:11 pm - Smithtown, NY
RNY on 07/25/05 with
I am going to try to make this as little drawn out as possible...

I had RNY in July 2005 in Brooklyn by a great doctor.  Abdominal pain began a few months later but I dealt with it until it was unbearable anymore.  Had gallbladder out in May 2008.  Despite the fact that there were no stones, the gall bladder was not in good shape.  Along with that surgery was lysis of adhesion and internal hernia repair.  The pain never ceased.  So, September of '08 the appendix came out as well as more lysis of adhesions and internal hernia repair.  Let's remember this is 3 surgeries in Brooklyn, NY - 2-3 hours from my home in a matter of 3 years and 2 surgeries in a matter of months. 

I had to change doctors...the trips were insane and sometimes would take me between 4 and 5 hours to get there with the city traffic.  So, I now have a new surgeon.  During the past year I gained 30 pounds, despite my best efforts to eat well and exercise.  Oh, and also a new GI doctor, with whom I have a wonderful relationship.

In November I was diagnosed with a gastric ulcer through endoscopy due to epigastric pain and in January through another endoscopy, the test was proven negative so that I could have the lap band put in on February second. 

This is where you come in...

I have thrown up quite a few times, with traces of blood (not pure red blood) but a mucousy type, which was from a stomach virus.  At this point I have the same epigastric pain as before with the ulcer, however it is now radiating to the back and under my left ribcage.  I have another endoscopy on Monday to rule out ulcer yet again, but does anyone think that something could have happened to the band, itself.  The pain under the rib cage comes and goes, but when it's there, it is debilitating.  I know it's not gas or anything of the like.

I am at a loss...please help...

Sincerely,
Diane
Ara Keshishian
on 3/21/10 5:03 am - Glendale, CA
 Hello Diane,
I would recommend that you see a surgeon that does revisions of gastric bypass frequent enough to be an expert in the field.

I am not clear when did your band come in to play. If you have ulcers then this needs to be treated aggressively, and possibly revised surgically. I am biased for a revision to duodenal switch which will correct the problem with weight gain, pain and the ulcer.

With a RNY there is very little stomach left up there, any bleeding would most probably be from an ulcer.

Hope this helps
Ara

Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS, FASMBS
[email protected]
www.dssurgery.com

jaxmom
on 3/26/10 2:06 pm
hey smithtown! miller place here. i have a BOB and I also suffered from marginal ulcers, etc, with a ton of other issues...........
anyway, you def. need this to be taken care of ASAP! throwing up is no good (not for you- not for your band)..and the blood is a concern, as well. it could be from the ulcer. did your surgeon keep you on nexium or anything following the band placement? my surgeon has me on a bunch of stuff b/c of the previous ulcer issues.
I do not know who your dr's are, but , and i hope i do not sound like a snob, i am not at all a fan of the suffolk county dr's. I totally get why you would go to Bklyn on the city... but I also get the commute being so sucky! I use dr. vohra out of south nassau. their office is in hewlett. his partner, dr. gregory nishumura, (who has an office in freeport and hewlett) handles all of the endoscopies in the hospital and,personally, i feel saved my life. i have a loooooong history with them.  I also recommend dr. mitchell roslin out of lenox hill, but he is in the city.
have you gotten any fills in your band? did the pain begin after you started getting fills??? I feel so bad and wish i could help........................ i would say we could go meet at our new whole foods (yay!) but, alas, we cannot eat! lol..... sorry, just trying to make you smile.....
Lap-Banded March 16, 2010
263.4/187/148(Start/current/Goal)

'once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right'

Most Active