Waiting on revision from LB to RNY

sghatl
on 3/19/10 10:48 pm, edited 3/19/10 10:50 pm - Lilburn, GA
Hello.  I have a surgery date of April 6 for my revision surgery.  We are hoping I can be revised to an RNY at that time.  I could wake up with the bypass, a new band or nothing depending on the condition of my stomach.  My band has been successful as far as weight loss goes but I have a dilated pouch without band slippage.  I have been totally unfilled since last September but have not gained any weight.  I have stricture and lots of restriction without anything in the band.  I can hardly eat anything and I live on a soft diet.  I have such terrible reflux that I can't eat after 4 or drink anything after 6 if I want anywhere near a good night's sleep.  Reflux has given me pneumonia once from ingesting the reflux.  I am so tired of living like this.  I sure hope the RNY fixes a lot of this.

I have done so much research on the LB over the past three years that I don't know much about the RNY.  What can I expect the hospital stay to be like?  I have heard there is a drain.  I have been told I will stay at least 2 nights.  Those of  you who had this revision done, can you compare the two surgeries.  The LB was a breeze to me - no pain meds at all were needed in the hospital or at home.  I bounced back quite quickly despite my age (was 66 at the time of LB surgery). 

I am only 12 pounds from my original goal which will put me at the top of 'fat' chart and no longer obese.  I am 40 pounds away from the recommended weight for my height (4' 11'').  I am having the revision for maintenance not for losing a lot of weight.
Total Weight Loss Journey since 02/07

lap band  12/06/07                  Shirley
revision to RNY 04/06/10 (w167)
H335/S(LB)268/S(GP)167/C148/145 
chelle614
on 3/21/10 4:41 am - Chester, NY
Hi, I am also revising from Lapband top RNY. I give you a lot of credit for being unfilled and not gaining a lot of weight back. I have been unfilled since Jan 1 and gained 30lbs back. I guess you can find more direct info on the RNY board about surgery and recovery though. Best wishes to you!
kamelion63
on 3/21/10 7:55 am - McKinney, TX
Good luck with your continuing journey and I applaud you for your success!
Kamelion63

Lap Band 10/2007 Had complications  - waiting on approval to have band removed and revised to RNY with NEW surgeon Dr. Nicholson!

HW 315 SW 286 CW285 GW 180

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." -Kurt Cobain
Cathleen S.
on 3/24/10 8:41 am
Oh boy you have really been through the ringer witth your lapband... I had a lot of the same symptoms that you described but after a significnt weight loss. I have been  unfilled for over a year almost a year and 8 months but gained 53lbs. I am being converted from the band to RNY in 7 days . I will let you know how it goes...good luck dear! ~Cathleen

~Any reality you can imagine~

Debba
on 3/24/10 11:41 pm - West Deptford, NJ
Revision on 05/19/09 with
Hi!

I had the exact same symptoms!  Did well with the band at first, then the trouble started - everything that you mentioned.  I wasn't as lucky as you -  I gained back 19 lbs. before my revision surgery was scheduled. 

In May 2009 I had my band removed, my hiatal hernia repaired, and gastric bypass done all in one fell swoop.  I was in the hospital 3 nights, but the norm is 2 nights. My surgeon started the procedure lap, but ended up having to finish open, so I had an incision (hence the extra night).  I knew going in that chances were high he might have to do the RNY open because of scar tissue and he did - no biggie.

I, too, did not use pain meds after LB and I didn't need them after RNY either.  I bounce back pretty quick, also!  I was back to work in 3 weeks, and that was with an open surgery. The only lingering pain I had was where the port was removed.  That took a while to heal - more annoying than anything else.

I was 230 lbs. when I got the LB, lost 70, which put me at 160.  Then the issues started and I gained back 19.  I was 179 when I had the revision in May 2009 and I am currently at 138 - 2 lbs. below my goal and finally in a normal BMI range.

I don't regret getting the LB, and if I didn't have all the issues, I'd still have it, but I have to say - I am sorry I didn't get the RNY in the first place.  It's worked out well for me.

Best of luck to you - you'll do great!!

Debbie Joy

davechris
on 3/25/10 1:40 am
Hi,

I am considering a revision.  I had an open RNY l started at 250lbs lost down to 140lbs, then ended up getting pregnant, and gaining up to 220.  I now have ulcers and have lost back down to 200, but am getting frustrated.  Who was your doctor?  Could you send me his info?  Thanks.

Theresa
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/26/10 2:05 pm
Since a restrictive only procedure like the band was already working for you, have you considered the sleeve? No fills, stoma stuff, or mechanical failure. It's pretty maintenance free, and doesn't require as many vitamins as DS or RNY.

A big concern for me was the ability to take NSAIDs for pain in the future if necessary, which isn't possible with RNY.  My joints need help as I get older, and there are NO good alternatives to NSAIDs for pain. Tylenol does nothing for me, and my liver doesn't need that abuse.  RNY will help with the reflux, but I've heard everything BUT the band can help that (band as know, can make it much worse).
Most Active