A Revision to DS really works:

Kerry J.
on 3/18/10 1:13 am - Santa Clara, UT
I posted this on some other Forums I frequent , but think it should be here too because I am a revision. Revisions do work if you get the right surgery done correctly; I'm living proof! Anyway, here's what I posted:

I completely forgot yesterday was my 18 months out surgiversary until Supergirl posted hers and since we're switch Bro & Sis, it reminded me. So here's my 18 month update:

Things are pretty much stable and normal, nothing much exciting or different happening, I have no food issues; which is a bit troubling because I worry a bit about regain. I don't even get gas or runny poops when I eat white flour. Oh course I never eat a whole lot of it, so maybe if I really go hog wild with it I would have some issues, but just normal eating doesn't cause anything out of the ordinary.

About the only change from 6 months ago is that I'm a lot stronger now. So to commemorate, I took my camera to my work out and had Christie snap a few pictures while I was lifting. We were doing a strength only program where you do 12 reps of the weight you normally do 15 reps with, then rest for 1 minute, add 5 or 10 pounds and do 10 reps, rest 1 minute, add 5 - 10 pounds do 8 reps, rest 1 minute, add 5-10 pounds do 6 reps, rest 1 minute then do 12 reps of the middle weight or weight you did 8-10 reps with. Then you do one "bonus" lift of 12 reps that's a different lift but uses the same muscle group. Rest 1 minute then go to the next lift & muscle group. I was working on all upper body; chest, shoulders & arms and they are dead today. This is a really tough work out; your muscles are just exhausted.

Anyway, here's a few pictures; as you can see, I'm dressed in the appropriate green color for the day LOL:

That's it, I really can't think of much else to say except....

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!!!!!!!
Kerry
JRinAZ
on 3/18/10 1:58 am - Layton, UT
Dude! 

You are crazy out of control with life!

I am seriously going to go dust off my tennis shoes!!!

Congrats!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Moonlight12
on 3/18/10 2:10 am
JR

I tried to PM but couldn't.  Wanted to know what went wrong with the your other WLS?  I think I saw it was the RNY?
JRinAZ
on 3/18/10 4:22 am - Layton, UT
On March 18, 2010 at 9:10 AM Pacific Time, Moonlight12 wrote:
JR

I tried to PM but couldn't.  Wanted to know what went wrong with the your other WLS?  I think I saw it was the RNY?

Yeah, sorry bout that.  I had to make my profile private til I  get a chance to add my latest chapter:)

Anyway...feel free to pm me at [email protected]

The short version (not easy for me!  LOL!)  is that with the proximal Rny in 03....I did well for 3 years and then started gaining weight so I met a surgeon.  He was a friend.  I trusted him and he assured me that he could "guarantee" a weight loss.  He revised me to an ERny with a 50 centimeters common channel (I was only 50 lbs overweight).  The revision was in Dec of 07...I lost 30 pounds in the first month and went down to 98 lbs (by reversing the rules of the pouch and slurping high calorie protein drinks...I'm now the bummed out owner of a 20 BMI!!....I liked my boney self...twisted, huh?!).  I've had oodles of other consults/opinions and basically I've had malnutrition, metabollic issues of several varieties to include weakness, fainting, explosive diarrhea, severe bloating and gas pain,....I became lactose intollerant, gluten intollerant and fat sensitive.  I was told I could eat "anything" I wanted and yet my food groups diminished to a few low glycemic veggies, a couple of fruits and lean grilled meat.  I've had to chug nasty type of protein (protein x) because I don't absorb the yummy protein products well and my protein count has continued to go down....I have had a difficult time getting my ferritin/iron in a good spot.

Vitalady rocks and has saved my life!!!  .......  Hopefully i'll win my appeal with insurance so Dr. Keshishian can truly save my life with a DS revision.

I hate to be a Debbie downer when I truly believe that WLS can be lifesaving for zillions of people but at the same time I hope i can serve as a wake-up call to be proactive with research and choices.  People come to the revision board to get perspective and information.  The 2nd go around, there shouldn't be any excuses for not getting it right.  Unfortunately, I trusted someone and didn't play smart so I'm in line a 3rd time!  Shame on me!

Good luck with your journey!  Let me know if i can help you in any way! 

Joyce 

Kerry J.
on 3/18/10 2:54 am - Santa Clara, UT
Git er done Joyce, knock the dust off and get going; it feels so good to be fit and strong again; I really had forgotten what it feels like!

Kerry
JRinAZ
on 3/18/10 4:27 am - Layton, UT
I dusted off the tenny shoes Kerry!  ....  Lovin life in AZ today with a morning hike with pooch, some digging in the dirt with veggie garden and working with all windows open!  Sweeeeet!  ....  I'm guzzling protein drinks ...."just in case" my insurance is kind to me and lets me schedule my DS revision!  I'll admit that it's given me an energy burst!!!!  Hmmmmm......and I thought Michelle  (vitalady) was just a pretty face;)  LOL!

Joyce 

smileyjamie72
on 3/18/10 7:48 pm - Palmer, AK
Kerry,
You are one of just a handfull of revision people that I follow your progress religiously religiously!!!!

I hope that with my hoops & hurdles from the insurance standpoint... that I will be following in your footstps sometime this year!!!!!

YOU ARE A TRUE INSPIRIATION TO ME!!!!!

-Jamie in Alaska

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Kerry J.
on 3/18/10 9:45 pm - Santa Clara, UT
Thanks Jamie, you're very kind, I feel like the luckiest guy in the world right now; the DS bailed me out of Fat prison and RNY hell, I never would have believed my life could be like this again; it's wonderful!

Hang in there, it's worth the effort, you'll get your DS too.

Kerry
Caleña M.
on 3/19/10 4:21 am
Kerry

All I can do is read with open mouth.....you look awesome!

DS SW - 201 4/21/11; GW 130
twylia_w
on 3/31/10 12:13 pm - Umatilla, OR
Yep.. I have to agree with all the Above you LOOK AWESOME

I Just hope i can find a Good Dr to do it here in Oregon or Washington

You do look GREAT!

Twi W
Most Active