BOB not band over bypass BUT bypass over band!!!!!

Monica W.
on 3/18/10 10:23 am
OKAY OH FAM!!!!! long story short first, I had the lap band done in 2007 and only lost about 40 lbs..... I am trying to revise to RNY bypass. Today I had my physician consult for the surgery, I already had the nutrition consult and psych consult. Thats all fine. My surgeon offered get this guys, a bypass over band....??? Basically he would do the bypass with the band in place. Some people who have the bypass and after so long may gain some weight which is normal but having the band already and still there will just aid in more restriction and will eliminate the need for future revisions or a band over bypass. I would be his first patient that he would have done this on. My surgeon does his bypass with robotics at KU med center. What are some of you guys thoughts on this? He did not pressure me, he told me to think about it no rush. If i wanted to have the band removed and then have the bypass done he would go with WHATEVER I wanted.

Monica
Emily F.
on 3/18/10 10:31 am
I've heard of revising the rny by putting a band over the pouch. Never heard of doing it while the band was in. I would seriously research that. Emily
PEACAN_PRINCESS
on 3/18/10 10:34 am - Stockton, CA
Im like Emily I would definitely research that...Im nervous cause I am supposed be getting the lapband. I would be oh so devastated if I only lost 40lbs..Will you be willing to share your expierence with me. I am supposed to have surgery April 5th...
Monica W.
on 3/18/10 10:37 am
Sure I will send you my e-mail address.
Zee Starrlite
on 3/26/10 7:20 am, edited 3/26/10 7:24 am
Peacan Princess

If you have a good surgeon, good aftercare, are willing to work - cooperate with your pouch with your food portion control (volume consideration), whole food selection (lay off the "white stuff"), exercise etc. YOU WILL LOSE THE WEIGHT with the Lap Band.

NEVER keep a tight Band-  you put yourself at risk for slips, dilations, possible erosions, and band removal.  Not keeping a tight band also allows you to eat more fiberous, good quality foods.

Start now practicing  CHEW, CHEW, CHEW - give yourself a # of times to chew each spoon/forkful

Eat off of smaller plates, bowls etc. and use smaller utensils.  Maybe buy yourself a couple of nice pieces from a thrift store or something

Eat only where food should be eaten - set the table for you, light a candle, and give yourself some flowers to look at (okay to be artificial) and or smell.

Practice this as it is the rule for all Weight Loss Surgeries:

Eat Protein First
Veggies/fruits Second
If there is enough room, Third your complex carbohydrates.

If you are wise, you will learn to minimize your carbs. Like eat ONLY the toppings of pizza, the fillings of say a taco, take most of the bread, or at least 1 side of the bread off of a sandwich, have a little rice and more of the protein and veggies.

Stay off of "sugared drinks"  REFRAIN my lady cause these smoothies, sweet teas, fat sugared coffee concoctions,  etc. can make you fatter than you ever believed you could be.     You can make your own natural smoothies so that you will know what is in them if you so desire, but these things they sell at Sonic or Duncan Donuts etc. will kill any chance of weight loss that you would have had.

If you have a metabolic disorder like PCOS
If you are on Psychotropic drugs like a mood stabilizer or anti-psychotic
If you have thyroid issues
It would probably be a huge mistake to have a "restrictive only" weight loss surgery.

if you don't have anything to make your weight loss resistant, are willing to work your But_ off, you certainly will have a friend in the Lap Band.  For me, as long as I have some restriction, my hunger is quieted and I can be rational in terms of choosing my foods and amounts.  Restriction puts a lid on the amount you can eat.  So say you have only a cup to fill and you try to overeat.  Most people will start getting "signals" - burping, eye tears etc  - It is time to STOP eating.  If you keep overfilling you may get a pain in your back - heaven help you then!  You can take the punishment and learn from it or you can get in the sick habit of puking and eventually lose your band.

Don't be afraid.  The surgery you chose is the best surgery for you.  Everyone has their own experience.  Some people have huge issues, if they don't work on them pre-op, they ruin their chance at a winning outcome. 

You can do this.  I wish you well and I am here if you need me.  I love my Lap Band and feel so blessed.

Best,
Leila

P.S. I go to Weigh****chers for accountabiltiy and support.  You can learn some things about nutrition, portion sizes etc.  If you decide to do something like that, never let people know you have a Lap Band.  People think it is a "free ride" but it is not.  It is hard work for us to lose and maintain too but we have a much better chance at achieving success in both.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Monica W.
on 3/18/10 10:35 am
Thanks Emily... Oh trust me I am going to look into this for sure.
Caleña M.
on 3/18/10 11:43 am
I had lap band in June 2008 with only a 21 lb loss.  I lost the 21lbs the first 3 months after the surgery, and have struggled to stay at my current weight with losts of excercise and miserable diets. 

I will be as honest as I can here.  I chose lap band for 2 reasons...The hype around the lap band and its promises that it is NOT a major surgery, lapostropic, and home the next day..and whan the answer to my prayers for all my life...well WRONG.

Please Please before you make any decision, analyze the type of surgery you need.  If you truly really need restrictive surgery only, lap band may be for you.  But if you are metabolically challenged, like I have been all my life, a restrictive ONLY surgery will NOT HELP YOU.  It has not helped me and will not help me.  I am now seeking a revision and if I had known then what I do now, i would not have chosen the lap band.  Make sure your surgeon has an personal interest in you.  I have only seen my surgeon 3x, the initial consultation, during pre-op testing, and the day of the surgery...that was the last time I saw him.  His wife is his partner in his practice and she is in charge of the management.  I requested an appointment with him and he refuses to meet with me, and insist that I have not given it my all or as she said 100% and wants me to go through 6 more months of torture.    This is the message I get from his wife he wont even call back to tell me himself. 

Dont be a guinea pig..I know anxiety takes over as it did me and just knew lap band was the answer to my obesity.  Had I done a little more research and been a little more patient, I would not be going through this again.

mrlddst
on 3/18/10 12:56 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Just do the out right bypass or research other surgeries.
Lapband done 6/19/2006 Removed 11/19/2009
Sleeve done 7/29/2010 SW: 228/CW:197/GW:137

Ms. Cal Culator
on 3/18/10 3:24 pm - Tuvalu

I'd find a less creative surgeon.  (I'm band to DS.)
obxbev
on 3/19/10 9:41 am
REALIZE Band on 02/17/09 with
I 've had Realize Band sind 2/17/09.  Lost @20 lbs.  My dr. just removed my fill in anticipation of Bypass Surgery in April/May.  Insurance likes you to have tried the band for 18 mos before removal.  Because my Diabetes is no better, maybe worse, we're hoping I get approval.  I, too, thought this was the best surgery for me - no rearranging of the innards, etc.  I feel relieved now at the thought of getting the bypass.  My weight now is around 220, I've had diabetes for 13 years, and been insulin dependent for about 3.  I temporarily was off of insulin for about 6 months after surgery.  You just never know.  My sister-in-law had Lap-Band in May 2009 and has lost almost 100 pounds.
Most Active