RNY to DS Revision?

PaulaDay
on 3/17/10 5:44 am
I had RNY 7 years ago and looking to have a revision.  I am considering DS but I have to convince my surgeon of this.  Any suggestions as to what I should tell him to help my case?
JRinAZ
on 3/17/10 6:38 am - Layton, UT
On March 17, 2010 at 12:44 PM Pacific Time, PaulaDay wrote:
I had RNY 7 years ago and looking to have a revision.  I am considering DS but I have to convince my surgeon of this.  Any suggestions as to what I should tell him to help my case?
Hi there Paula!
We were probably surgery buds; with our dates anyway!  LOL!  I had proxy Rny in Feb of 2003, was revised to an Extended Rny in Dec of 07..   I'm crossing all body parts in hopes that my insurance will approve a 2nd revision to a DS (for a crack at better health an not for weight loss)!!!! 

Respectfully, Paula....."if" you have to convince your surgeon that you need a DS then you probably have the wrong surgeon.  Seriously....surgeon's push what they know how to do best (and sometimes what they shouldn't be pushing!).  Check out www.dsfacts.com for a list of the surgeon's who won't need convincing and who are experts in revisions from Rny to DS. ....

Good luck with your journey!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Nicolle
on 3/17/10 8:38 am
Your surgeon probably cannot do a revision to a DS, so I wouldn't put too much hope into that basket. Instead, I would find a qualified RNY to DS revision surgeon. The ones that come to mine immediately are:

Rabkin, Keshishian, Greenbaum

You can find their contact info on the list at www.dsfacts.com/North-American-Duodenal-Switch-Surgeons.html

Common reasons for revisions are breakdown somewhere of the RNY, like a stretched stoma. You may need to have some tests done to show this has happened.

Best of luck to you!

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

larra
on 3/17/10 9:56 am - bay area, CA
According to your listed surgeon's page on this website, the only bariatric operation he does is RNY. He isn't going to be any help as far as either your decision to get a DS or getting it done.
 There is probably not much of anything you could tell him to "help your case".
     Check the list of DS revision surgeons on dsfacts.com. Any lists you find on OH will not be accurate. Keep in mind also that revision from RNY to DS is more complex and difficult than a first time around DS, so you really, really need a surgeon with DS revision experience. You will probably have to travel to get to the right surgeon, but it will be worth the effort.

Larra
Most Active