Questions for those who had VBG and revised to RNY

Andrea_1972
on 3/14/10 11:47 pm - WA

Many years(20 plus now) ago I had an old school VBG. Needless to say there were many issues. I did not gain that much weight back though, so losing weight was not my goal with the revision. I could not eat anything that was not a slider food. I was sick.

My question is this: do those who have went from the ultra restrictive puke everyday vbg to the rny feel like they can eat more? I can eat way more than the "usual" rny patient. I have yet to get to see my surgeon( revised in Non 09)  . I dont get to see him until May of this year, unless its an emergency.

Not overly worried, just wondering if anyone else feels this.

TABITHA39
on 3/15/10 12:25 am
hey andrea,

how are you doing i hope well. well i had rny revision on 1/25/10 and i lost 25 pounds already, not much compared to a newbie. i struggle and i eat good. i think i was retaining water because i starting gaining a few pounds i took otc water pill and lost 5 pounds. my nut said drinka protein shake in the morning. i dont exercise but i will start maybe 20 mins a day. some say i dont eat enough but im use to eating a certain way.

morning  1 protein shake

afternoon 1 prtein shake

dinner whatever we have but low fat

snake jello 10 calories

and i drink crystal light all day

i cant eat that much or i will get sick so i dont know why these last 15-20 pound is so hard

im happy because i can eat now my life is so much better. me and my boyfriend went out to eat omg i thought i would never do that .\\\

take care andrea
luv tab
vitalady
on 3/15/10 5:43 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Can you say where you are in WA, which surgeon did your fix? I'm guessing Fox did your original, if you were done in WA?

The VBG-RNY I see are SO much more comfy with rny than vbg, and yes, they can eat more. More, being a relative term, of course.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Andrea_1972
on 3/15/10 11:34 am - WA
hi vitalady,

I am currently in Yelm. I used to live in Puyallup. My original doc was James Shamblin in Louisiana at Doctor's Hospital in Shrevesport . My revision doc was Dr. Martin at MAMC. I really think he made my pouch larger since loosing weight was not my issue.
vitalady
on 3/15/10 11:53 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Did he make you a DS? That's what he usually does.

I was just in Yelm. My sons wanted to go to Stewart's. Go figure. They live in Bremerton!

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

StephanieEllen
on 3/20/10 8:50 am - Smalltown, Canada
 Hey, can't answer your question (yet) because I'm just in the process of getting a revision to RNY from VBG. I can't find anything anywhere on what they do with the existing pouch in a revision. If it's stretched and the staple line is disrupted, do they make the pouch smaller again when they revise? If my pouch is bigger, when they revise me, I'd want them to make it small again, to restrict how much I can eat...

Does anyone know?
Most Active