RNY revision

terrifnp
on 3/13/10 12:44 pm - Salem, OH
I am 6 years out from RNY.  Lost slowly but steadily for the first year.  I had to have my gallbladder out like 6 days before 1 year anniversary.  Had big time complications with a bile leak twice. I didn't eat for a month.  Was down 125#  from 331 to 206.  The next year had to have an incisional hernia repair and got laid off at same time.  So, laying around recovering and feeling sorry for myself, I was gaining back some weight.  Went another year gaining and got laid off again.  I have gained 100# back.  I think.  I won't weigh myself.  I just know how I feel and that I have 2 closets full of clothes I cannot wear.  I am scared to get a revision but I am fairly certian my blood sugars are creeping up as well as my blood pressure.  My sleep apnea is back.  I get short of breath walking any distance and start to wheeze and I have to use an inhaler again.  I never had really had a problem eating anything.  Maybe a little nausea and diarrhea, but I pretty much anything.  I still can't eat as much, but tend to graze through the day.
Anyways, does naybody know about UPMC in Pittsburgh?  I called them and they said revisions were their speciality.  I had the original surgery in Columbus, OH at Barix.  Pittsburgh is closer.  I guess if revisions are now a speciality, I am not the only person in this position.  I am getting an upper and lower scope in May d/t haing some really bad diarrhea, so the doc will have a peak at my pouch. 
I am afraid to have this but, I am so f'in miserable.  I hate myself for not using the gift I was given and gaining.  Depression and anxiety are unbearable without meds.  I am in so much pain.  I was in a bad wreck before my RNY.  So, I have a bad ankle and leg that is now so much worse.  I may need a cane again. 
Anyways, any words of wisodm?  I don't even know what they would to revise it.  I keep thinking maybe this time I will have complications.  I am a Nurse Practitoner and probably should know more.
Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for any advice.
Peace
Summerbabies
on 3/13/10 1:24 pm
Hi terrifnp,
I find myself in almost the identical situation and could have wrote you post. As a matter of fact I probably wrote something very similar in the past couple of months while doing research to be revised to a DS from my RNY. Unfortunately, there is no one in Pittsburgh that does a DS or the more complicated revision to a DS. I wish you luck in your search for a revision. If you do find any info I have not uncovered, please let me know. I will be doing more research before i decide what I will be doing next. I know how you feel., The pains, the depression, and the feeling of failure are all back. I hope we both find a way to get help on our journey soon!
terrifnp
on 3/13/10 9:24 pm, edited 3/13/10 9:39 pm - Salem, OH
Summerbabies,
Thank you so much.� Do you know of anywhere in Ohio that is doing the DS as revision?� Before I�had my RNY, a friend and her husband had surgery.� She had RNY, but he had DS.� I think he went to Toledo or someplace up there.� She went to St. Vincent's in Cleveland.� I am halfway between cleveland and Pittsburgh.� Columbus is a 3 hour drive.� Toledo 3-4 depending on who is driving.
I am really pissed because I�am fat again and I�still have the chance for all of the potential side effects.� Then I think maybe I will be really sick after.� You know, not able to eat, throwing up.� worse nutritional issues.
I hope yuo don't mind me picking your brain.� I am working 20 hours a week and full time in grad school.� I don't have time to research right now.� Plus, I will be ghangin insurance soon.� I have been on COBRA and that plan doesn't pay for it.� But, I am a state employee now and my co-workers say it's covered.� I hope so.� I�can't stand it.� I am taking more narcotics for my pain since I�can't take Ibuprofen.
Please let's try to keep in touch.� I hope we both we both find help with our journey soon as well.
Summerbabies
on 3/14/10 9:31 am
I would love to find a job that covers revision! Congratulations ! That is a wonderful first BIG step! I would love to add you as a friend. I finished college in 08 working full time and am hoping to go back to graduate school this fall. I can truly sympathize. The website mentioned in the Post after yours, www.dsfacts.com is a great site. When anyone says Ohio and medicine, growing up in Pittsburgh, the first place I think of is Cleveland Clinic. I guess you could look there since it is relatively close. Good luck with school, work, weight loss, and everything. I may not write often as life is busy, or I may deluge you with posts. Never feel the need to respond if you don't have the time. I will understand. Get back to me when you can. It is great having someone who understands my issues on so many levels.

***Linda***
Caleña M.
on 3/13/10 9:58 pm
Have you checked out dsfacts.com ... here's the listed ds surgeons in No. America:

http://www.dsfacts.com/North-American-Duodenal-Switch-Surgeo ns.html
Most Active