Metalic Taste

Deanne K.
on 3/12/10 3:46 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi All,
I have been noticing a very nasty metallic taste.  Can anyone shed some light on why this is happening and how to get rid of it?

Deanne
mew6495
on 3/12/10 8:52 am - MI
 Hey Deanne,

I have been having the same issue.  And worse yet I have not been able to find anything to take it away.  I thought perhaps it was the increase in vitamins I have been taking but I am not sure.  

I will be interested as well if you find out anything more about it. 

MEW

JRinAZ
on 3/12/10 11:15 am - Layton, UT
Hey Deanne!
I have that metallic taste once in a while and it usually means that killer breath is attached!  I HATE it!!!!  I used to have it non stop for the 1st year post- op ERny.

2 reasons that i"ve narrowed down for me:  1.  ambien  (sleep meds)  ....went away after I ditched it.  2.  too much fat from meat in my diet  (try chicken and fish for a few days and see if it leaves)

I've also wondered if it accompanies the bacterial overgrowth.  It seems to leave when I do a course of flagyl.

I haven't had it as bad since I started taking Mega chloraphyl capsules, CharcoCaps capsules and Ginger Root with peppermint & mastic gum capsules.  (high maintenance, huh?!!!) 

Good luck!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

mew6495
on 3/12/10 10:58 pm - MI
 Hey Joyce,

Sleep meds huh?  Interesting.  I started taking prescription sleeping pills about 3 weeks or so ago now I wonder if that has anything to do with it.  So is may come down to a choice between metallic taste or not enough sleep.......hmmmmf...

Cathleen S.
on 3/12/10 11:33 am
I suffer from a seriously disturbing mettalic taste in my mouth whenever I take calcium in particular any time i ever ever take TUMS yuck. It is terrible.

~Any reality you can imagine~

vitalady
on 3/14/10 11:06 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
describe your supplementation regimen?

how does water taste?

any nausea? if so, when, for how long?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

mew6495
on 3/19/10 12:51 pm - MI
 Hey Michelle,

Why would the taste of water or nausea make a difference with the metalic taste?

MEW

vitalady
on 3/20/10 7:38 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Metallic taste can mean marginal ulcer. Not over all, jus****er tasting like it ran thru rusty pipes or something.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Deanne K.
on 3/23/10 9:13 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi Michele,
Thanks for responding.  The EDG did not show an ulcer, but did show a hiatal hernia that either came back or was never fixed.  He also opened up the anastomosis at the esphogus.  Did a cat scan today. 

Deanne
Deanne K.
on 3/24/10 5:33 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi Michele,
Got a question for you.  If all the other vitamins are within the normal range why would the Vit. A be the only one below the range?  Is it related to Protein and Vit. A needing each other?  Do you have any insights?  What time of day is the best to take the Vit. A.  I take thyroid so I have to wait until 4 hours after I take that to start any of the vitamins.

Thanks,
Deanne
Most Active