For those who have gone from Bypass to DS... Do you know if...

Michelle H.
on 3/11/10 2:25 am - Canada
I have been reading and reading and I just feel so overwhelmed.  So I am going to come to the experts and see if you can help me

I am currently a bypass patient, however am looking at a revision.  I had my surgery done in Dec 1999.  I have terrible problem with vit and iron deficiency.  My Dr says it is because I do not have the acid in the stomache that breaks down the food and thus allows me to absorb the nutrients etc. 

Do you have as much vit and iron deficiency with the DS as you do with the RNY?  I know you still take vits etc etc but do you have the same absorption issues as the Gastric Bypass patient?

Thank you for any help.
JRinAZ
on 3/11/10 5:29 am - Layton, UT
On March 11, 2010 at 10:25 AM Pacific Time, TEAZ wrote:
I have been reading and reading and I just feel so overwhelmed.  So I am going to come to the experts and see if you can help me

I am currently a bypass patient, however am looking at a revision.  I had my surgery done in Dec 1999.  I have terrible problem with vit and iron deficiency.  My Dr says it is because I do not have the acid in the stomache that breaks down the food and thus allows me to absorb the nutrients etc. 

Do you have as much vit and iron deficiency with the DS as you do with the RNY?  I know you still take vits etc etc but do you have the same absorption issues as the Gastric Bypass patient?

Thank you for any help.
Hi TEAZ!
Many Rny'ers AND DS'ers may experience vit and iron deficiency if they aren't taking enough of the correct suplements for their malabsorption needs.  However, being revised to a DS should give you the benefit of using your stomach for some digestion again.

I've gone from a Prox Rny to an Extended Rny and have extreme vitamin & iron deficiencies!  I'm hoping for a revision to a DS so that I too can give myself a better chance for absorption of calcium and iron.  I will still need to take tons of supplements but my chances will be dramatically improved!

I'd recommend having a consult with a DS surgeon.  The trusted ones that are recommended by our peers are found on www.dsfacts.com  ...........Don't let their locations slow you down from going for it.  I'm going to be driving over 7 hours to my DS surgeon!!! 

Being overweight is not the only reason that people may need a revision.  It sounds like you and I need a nutritional jumpstart!!! 

Good luck!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Michelle H.
on 3/11/10 5:56 am - Canada
Joyce,

thank you so much for your information.  You are right I really really do need a nutritional boost. 

There are no DR in Canada that do a DS revision so I am looking at out of country coverage.  I will be talking to my DR in length and see what he has to see.  We will need to get the ball moving soon I would think.

I wish you well and I hope that you get your DS real soon
JRinAZ
on 3/11/10 10:28 am - Layton, UT
Please make sure you check the list of surgeon's from dsfacts.com  when selecting your surgeon.  Believe me....having someone do a revision that is not a skilled revision surgeon is just asking for yet another revision someday down the road!

I wish you well also friend!  Keep us posted!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 3/11/10 4:01 pm - Bakersfield, CA
Joyce

I'm thinking we are talking about the same Dr. K since you are going to drive 7 hours. Here I am in Bakersfield, just 20 minutes away from him and I can't even get the nurse to let me have a consultation because of insurance.  I tried 1-2 years ago and they said HMO didn't cover, so this year I am on a PPO.  As you know, I already heared another no.
mrsdonvito
on 3/13/10 2:53 pm - sunnyvale, CA
Hello, I am also post RNY (1/2005) and starting to look into revision. I know this doesn't really ansswer your question about revision, but as far as deficiencies go, back in the day when i dropped 105 lbs (ahh, the good ol' days) I felt great and didnt think I needed supplements, so I got extremely deficient in B12, iron, and calcium. I started taking ferrous sulfate elixir 1 tsp at night, 1 multi in the morning, and calcium 3 times a day ( the costco brand, 2 @ 3x/day) I also take vitamin B12 1000mcg injection once a month (all per md orders) . all of my levels are now good... just my two cents on how i got my levels good and have maintained them for years now. Now, if only I could get my weight down again...
Most Active