What options do I have left?

punkie112003
on 3/8/10 11:23 am - West Monroe, LA
1993 had gastric bypass did great lost over 100 pounds. 2 kids and 16 years later have gained back weight. Had ROSE done in July 2009. Lost 30 pounds. Need to loose 40-60 more pounds. My gastric worked but I did stretch out pouch and opening. Had that fixed and have the stricture again but am having really hard time loosing weight. I also dont tolerate meat very well. I can handle lunch meat and protein drinks but I just cant digest grilled chicken, fish or anything like that. I do ok with meats in casseroles, but this doesnt make me full or keep me full very long. I really need any input someone can give me. Anyone else out there with the same issues? Have I run out of options? I would really love your help.

Desperate
Anissa
(deactivated member)
on 3/9/10 12:34 pm - Bakersfield, CA
 I was considering the Rose or Stomaphyx to revise my RNY that was done in 8/2000. I regained the 120 that I lost.  Now, I have two hernias, so I want to quickly check my revision options and maybe have them done all at once.  I wonder of the Duodenal switch has better success.
(deactivated member)
on 3/10/10 2:11 am - Bayonne, NJ
The DS revision has given me back my life. I can eat the things I couldn't after RNY, and I am losing. I am very happy.
louisianamamaof3
on 3/10/10 11:23 am - broussard, LA
Have a question what is making yall gain the weight back???? I have the BAND and looking to revisie to the RYN cause my insurance WILL NOT cover the DS unless u have a BMI of 50+  I have lost 30 pounds in almost 2 years and can maintain my weight so I am hopeing regain is not an issue for me.........Thanks Shannon
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/10/10 12:15 pm, edited 3/10/10 12:16 pm
If the DS is what you want, you can usually fight that with insurance and win.

The DS has the same requirements as all other WLSs, being a BMI�of 40, or 35 if there are any co-morbidities. Many have won that battle, so if it's what you want, go for it.
punkie112003
on 3/11/10 8:11 am - West Monroe, LA
I have several reasons. I had gastric at age of 16 and did GREAT! Was one of the first to have id done at this early age. Here are the reasons that I have gained.

1) I have had 2 kids since my gastric. Dont know if this has any influence but I am sure it does. Did great after first pregnancy actually lost more weight (was stuck)
2) During my second pregnancy. I was working 16 hour shifts on the weekends and started drinking Diet Dr Pepper BIG MISTAKE! No one ever told me about carbonation. So I stretched my pouch and stoma (opening into intestines). So after my second child I started gaining.
3) Doing research I have learned that during gastric bypass stomach is cut and in doing this they cut the nerve that suplies the hormone Grehlin? Make you hungry and tells you when you are ful.
4) I found out from Dr who did my ROSE revision that your body goes into reserve when you try to diet again. In other words, Your body remembers when you tried to starve it and it has learned to addapt. Body learnes to exist on minimal amount of calories and when they are increased it is excess.

Hope this helps you out. If there is anything else just ask!

Also, I work in the medical field and gastric not only works for everyone. Another thing that I have observed is that lap band doesn' t work as well for females as males. Example, my husband had his lap band week ago tomorrow. He only weighted 317 before surgery and as of this morning he is down to 292! Makes me sick!

Anissa
Most Active