VBG TO RNY

daisylou1976
on 3/6/10 10:14 am - , Canada
HI revisioners, just a quick question,

I am going from a VBG to an RnY (would have picked DS if it were my choice)  and would like to know if the weight loss is slower for a revision?  Since the VBG is strictly restrictive I am not sure if one would lose at the same rate?  What are your opinions?
I am going to post this in the rny board too.

Thanks for your help, and good luck with your revisions :)

Sandi
vitalady
on 3/6/10 10:27 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Since VBG - distal RNY was almost a daily thing back in my day, they did very well indeed. They lost wt (no vomiting) and kept it off nicely.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Kathy H.
on 3/8/10 1:39 pm - Kent, WA
Hi, Sandi-

I'm curious as to why it's not your choice which surgery you end up living with for the rest of your life? If you want the DS, I suggest you do what it takes to get the DS. Your body, your life, your future, your choice. If it's a matter of insurance denial, then there are folks on the DS board who specialize in helping you successfully fight for the DS. Please ask some questions there.

I started out as a VBG (had it in the mid 80s) and was revised to a DS a year ago May. I'm incredibly happy with my surgery choice. I am finally rid of that freaking pouch that made my life so miserable for over two decades. I can eat shrimp. I can eat *steak*... can you imagine??

One of the main reasons I chose the DS was not wanting to feel deprived any longer.... and I can tell you honestly that I DON'T feel deprived. I can't describe the sense of freedom I feel. I knew with the RNY, I'd end up feeling deprived. I also knew that regardless of the outcome, this would be my second and last WLS... so I was going for the surgery that was not only the most forgiving, but also had the best long-term weight loss stats.

I, too, was worried I'd lose more slowly than a virgin tummy DS, but I seem to be pretty much on schedule with those around me. I'm 10 pounds away from being just overweight!!

Good luck.

Kathy H
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/10 4:10 am - Bayonne, NJ
I wish I could eat shrimp, lol, but the DS can't cure allergies. ;)  I agre with you, though - I am amazed with my revision to the DS, and I am able to eat steak! The pouch is gone, and I am relearning how to eat. It's wonderful.
jodie2010
on 3/12/10 8:15 am
Hi Sandi,
I had a revision from VGB to RNY on March 3, 2010. It was done becuase of complications I had developed and my surgeon was very honest and said that while I could expect to lose more weight, it would not be to the extent that I did with the original VBG. I went into surgery at 225 (lost almost 200 with VBG). He said this is due to the fact that my metabollic system is changed since the original VBG. He did say I could lose 30 - 50 pounds which is just fine with me. I am tired of throwing up everything that enters my mouth so the numbers do not count as much to me anymore (although, who's kidding who... I would love to get to 150 lol).

Jodie
Pine City, MN
VBG 2002 (lost 200 pounds)
Revision VBG to RNY on 3/3/10
Most Active