Research doesn't lie- research, then decide for yourself!

aqtnsc
on 3/10/10 7:08 am
I am happy that things are going well with and for you! June submitted everything to insurance for approval so I should have my date soon! I am so excited!
Kathy H.
on 3/8/10 1:58 pm - Kent, WA
I would add this: Do your OWN research PRIOR to consulting with a surgeon. There are very few surgeons performing the DS when compared to those performing the RNY. If you go to an RNY surgeon and ask what you should revise to, guess what information you're going to get?

You'll get all kinds of wonderful information on the RNY and either outdated or flat-out inaccurate information on the DS. This happened to me in my early research stage. I went to a WLS seminar... asked the surgeon about the DS, and his reply shocked me. " If you want to carry around an extra pair of underwear for the rest of your life, I can arrange that!"

~sigh, dramatique~

Thank goodness there was someone in the audience that had been to a different surgeon's seminar... one who DID perform the DS... and I was able to attend that informational meeting and get accurate information. But if I hadn't? Or if I hadn't stepped into a surgery war on the main board, here at OH?

I would never have known about the DS. It's IMPORTANT to educate yourself before you see a surgeon.

Thank you for this post.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

aqtnsc
on 3/10/10 6:48 am
I agree with you 100% Kathy! I educated myself prior to my consult with Dr. Greenbaum and eventhough I am going to get a date soon, I still educate myself about the DS in general and life after getting the DS. I see DS info as continuing education. I will be living with it for the rest of my life so I feel that I can never know too much. Thanks for your response!
(deactivated member)
on 3/9/10 12:47 pm - Bakersfield, CA
 I had RNY in 2000 went well for about 3-5 years then eventually gained the weight back and it seems I can eat whatever I want.  Volume is more, but I do feel a limit when eating protein, like I should.  I need a revision now.  I was always told that we would never be able to get a revision, but 10 years later, here we go.  

I had always heard DS was scary and that people had issues with malabsorption.  Some got too thin.  But, I'm reconsidering.  If I can't give up my occasional chocolate cravings, will I still regain the weight with a DS surgery?  What is ERNY? 

I just had a CT scan which shows I have 2 hernias near my old surgery site, so I'm thinking I should hurry with my revision and get them done at same time. I switched to PPO, so I hope I can get it covered now.  Any suggestions or comments would be helpful. How do you really get good research on the DS revision?
JRinAZ
on 3/9/10 1:04 pm - Layton, UT
On March 9, 2010 at 8:47 PM Pacific Time, pgomez126 wrote:
 I had RNY in 2000 went well for about 3-5 years then eventually gained the weight back and it seems I can eat whatever I want.  Volume is more, but I do feel a limit when eating protein, like I should.  I need a revision now.  I was always told that we would never be able to get a revision, but 10 years later, here we go.  

I had always heard DS was scary and that people had issues with malabsorption.  Some got too thin.  But, I'm reconsidering.  If I can't give up my occasional chocolate cravings, will I still regain the weight with a DS surgery?  What is ERNY? 

I just had a CT scan which shows I have 2 hernias near my old surgery site, so I'm thinking I should hurry with my revision and get them done at same time. I switched to PPO, so I hope I can get it covered now.  Any suggestions or comments would be helpful. How do you really get good research on the DS revision?
Hiya friend!
ERny is an Extended Rny=same pouch but VERY short common channel (think the bottom of the "Y" where most absorption happens).  Don't do it!  I went that direction and have struggled for 2 mostly miserable years!  I have at least 6 very dear friends who are having critical complicaitons....a few who have had to have surgeries to correct their complications and several others who suffer from malnutrition in it's varying forms!  To me, an ERNY is an unskilled surgeon's approach to a whamy weight loss for a patient he or she cares little about and is not planning on seeing much for follow-up!  I guess you figured out that I'd totally recommend the DS instead:)

Glad you asked about the DS as a revision!  It's the one I am fighting with my insurance about this very second!  .....  go to www.dsfacts.com  AND head to the DS forum for research and to tap into those who have revised to DS and are living the dream!

Good luck with your journey!  As one successful Weight Loss friend recently shared with me.....DON'T SETTLE!!!!  Do what it takes to take care of yourself for the best results!

(BTW, I was REVISED from an Rny to an ERny and so if I can get my insurance approval, this will be my 2nd revision!    .....such a waste!!!)

Joyce in AZ
aqtnsc
on 3/10/10 6:59 am
Joyce
I think that you are a remarkable woman! I say this because when I first started researching revision surgeries, I remember the "war of words" so to speak between you and Kerry about which revision (ERNY or DS) was better. You defended the ERNY relentlessly. You made me seriously look into the ERNY but the DS won my vote hands down! Thank goodness I might add! For you to have the courage to speak out against the ERNY and admit that you are seeking the DS speaks volume. I definitely admire your courage and salute you in being honest with yourself and others.
JRinAZ
on 3/10/10 9:09 am - Layton, UT
On March 10, 2010 at 2:59 PM Pacific Time, aqtnsc wrote:
Joyce
I think that you are a remarkable woman! I say this because when I first started researching revision surgeries, I remember the "war of words" so to speak between you and Kerry about which revision (ERNY or DS) was better. You defended the ERNY relentlessly. You made me seriously look into the ERNY but the DS won my vote hands down! Thank goodness I might add! For you to have the courage to speak out against the ERNY and admit that you are seeking the DS speaks volume. I definitely admire your courage and salute you in being honest with yourself and others.
The bad news is that I am very passionate about that which I  believe to be true.  The good news is that I am very passionate about that which I believe to be true!!!  Fortunately, I saw the garbage truck loads of evidence regarding a revision to an ERny, unfortunately, I experienced a big bunch of them myself!

I appreciate your note friend, but, I am not courageous at all.  I'm merely very sorry that many were lead astray (including myself) and I'm hoping to undo some of the damage.  And to those who were damaged.....I hope I can lead them to a better surgeon; one who has the right experience, knowledge and genuine concern!

I understand that there are those who have complications with the DS as well but why not start the journey with the odds stacked in your favor, right?!!!  Here's hoping the world gets the right information! 

hoping to own my very own DS soon ,
Joyce
www.dsfacts.com
StacysMom
on 3/10/10 11:04 am
 I agree wholeheartedly!   Joyce is very courageous!   Not only to admit that she made a mistake going with the ERNY, but also in having the courage to go through another complicated surgery to get the result that SHE wants.   The result that she should have gotten with the ERNY!  

I remember reading two years ago, when Joyce wrote that she didn't want to take the additional risk in revising to the  DS.   In my opinion, it was  because she was manipulated by her surgeon to believe that she could get the same result without the additional risk of rebuilding the stomach from the RNY pouch.   He (like similar unscrupulous MD's) never bothered to  mention that he didn't have the skill or experience to do the full RNY to DS revision and "sold" her on a surgery that he DID do!    It's all about the "business" for these surgeons!   Keeping the patients within their practice, by not giving them all the information necessary to make an informed decision! 

Now,  Joyce has to have another entire surgery with the additional risk of being put under anesthesia (again) and being cut open (again).    IF THAT ISN'T COURAGEOUS -- WELL, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS!

Godspeed, Joyce!  May you achieve the success you deserve! 
(deactivated member)
on 3/11/10 6:10 am - Bakersfield, CA
Thank you so much Joyce.  I am looking for insurance approval now too. The doctor I wanted to go to, Dr. Ara Keshishian does his surgeries at a COE facility approved by MediCare, but not on my Blue Cross PPO plan. Now I am looking into San Diego. I am willing to travel CA, OR or WA if I have to. How is your fight with the insurance?  Any advice would be helpful.  It doesn't sound like a revision to a lap band or stomaphyx are that good either.  DS seems like it would solve my dumping or blood sugar drops.  I think the spikes and drops in glucose have made it easier for me to regain the weight.  A study by Dr. Roslin in New York gave a presentation at the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery last June.  80% of the patients with RNY had undiagnosed glucose abnormalities which lead to bad eating habits and weight regain.  They were ravenously hungery soon after eating with the rapid emptying of the pouch that lead to reactive hypoglycemia.  The empty pouch and low blood sugar leads to hunger.  I start shacking if I don't eat often.  Have you had any of these issues?
JRinAZ
on 3/11/10 10:25 am - Layton, UT

Hey pgomez,
I'll have to research Dr. Roslin's presentation.  I had diabetes prior to wls and now I have hypoglycemia!  I have big time low sugar dives and have to be careful to answer it with healthy carbs that are paired with a healthy protein or I'll have a spike and then another dive! ....  I definitely have the rapid emptying and ....was told to start drinking with my meals so I'd gain weight (reversing the rules of the pouch) and totally have a huge dump from eating anything...even very lean protein.  The liquid forces the food through so  quickly that I have a dumping reaction...heart palpitations, sweats, lethargic, dizzy, incoherent....etc.  I definitely get shakey if I go over 2 hrs without some nutritional intake! 

Are you sure Dr. Keshishian isn't with your BCBS PPO?  I have BCBS and he is in network for my plan?  ......  My insurance battle is slow going.  Monday they told me that the doc's office had to reply.  Tuesday they told the doc's office that I had to reply.  So I wrote a long appeal.  I had a lawyer friend check it over today.  She gave the thumbs up so now i'm waiting for Dr. K's office to send me a letter of med necessity to attach with it.   It's such a process and if I don't follow exact directions; I'm sure they'll reject it all!  Pins & needles, right?!!!

Thanks for asking!  How about Dr. Rabkin in San Fran area?

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active