Research doesn't lie- research, then decide for yourself!

aqtnsc
on 3/6/10 9:31 am
When deciding on a surgery rather it be  the first time or  a revision PLEASE DO YOUR OWN  RESEARCH and ask opinions later. When conducting research, research clearly shows that  there is only one surgery that produces the best results long term. I made the mistake of believing that it was the RNY and had it done in 2007. Two plus years later I know now that the DS should've been my first choice. I would've still settled for the RNY because that or the Lap-band were the only two surgeries my insurance paid for. I was  desperate to lose weight so RNY it was . However, if I had a choice in the matter the first time and if my insurance covered it,  the DS would've been the first and last choice I'd have to make in my weight loss journey. No one made the decision for me to revise to the DS- no one researched the DS for me. I researched on my own and came to OH for support, suggestions, advice, etc after I made my decision. Coming to OH only confirmed that I have made the right decision! Ultimately, the only person that can decide which surgery is best for you is YOU!
Michele B.
on 3/6/10 10:32 am - Carlstadt, NJ
Very true ... also I realized how improved newer surgeries are ... 10 years from now there will probably be even better versions of what is available today

I was researching DS and came across a story about a woman name Barbara who had these HORRIBLE results - she had multiple websites detailing her story. It was really scary to me...

But then again,  I have to remind myself of all of the horror stories written by bloggers about the gastric bypass before I had it done. My doctor said I'd be fine, and I was.

Also, people (haters) that either didn't have the medical coverage or the COURAGE to have it done. Funny, they were usually the ones that "knew someone who knew someone who died" after having it done. Or they were very quick to point out how "everybody gains the weight back AND more weight." 

I am choosing to ignore the negativity and concentrate on the advantages!
aqtnsc
on 3/7/10 2:34 pm
Kudos to you Michele! We all live and learn. Funny thing about being a revision patient is that I had never heard about DS when I was looking to have WLS. I was on OH under a different username and I frequented the main board every single day. All I came across was RNY and Lap-band patients. Two years ago, my insurance only paid for RNY and Lap-band as I stated. I was happy that I was having an RNY because I desperately needed to lose weight. My point in posting the research before deciding is this- If a person's insurance coverage includes RNY, Lap-band, DS, etc. and he/ she asked what surgery to choose, but only chatted with Lap-band only patients, would he or she think that the Lap-band was the ideal surgery to have? Making such a huge decision requires an individual to be 100% informed. When I told my original surgeon at 10 months out that I was looking in to a revision, she shrugged it off. When the nutritionist in her office realized that I was serious about a revision and would be traveling all the way to NJ for a DS, she suggested that I stay in SC and if my original surgeon concluded that my pouch stretched or whatever, just let them do an ERNY. That was odd in that they never mentioned that they did ERNYs.  This time around, no one in my family knows that I am having a DS and I have no plans to tell them. I don't owe any justifications in making my decision and I know that many will panick about me having this major sugery and traveling so far to have it done. I am beyond excited about getting my DS. Best of luck to you in your journey!
jennstar
on 3/8/10 1:50 pm - CA
RNY on 08/20/07 with
This is exactly how I feel right now.  I never even knew the ds existed.  I had been on obesityhelp, but I guess I didn't realize there were other surgeries than the lap band or RNY.  At this point, I doubt my insurance will cover a revision, and I'm not sure if I can go through another painful surgery.  The surgical experience was so traumatic for me.  After learning the way that DS makes the stomach smaller but keeps the valves in place, I sit here wondering why on earth they split it the way they do with the RNY.  *sigh*
  Staying away from the evil scale as much as possible!!! 

aqtnsc
on 3/10/10 7:36 am
Jenn
Thanks for your response. My surgical experience with RNY was very traumatic also. I have no feeling in my lower back as a result of being placed on the operating table in an ackward position and for so long. I walked bent over for four months after surgery and was unable to straighten up. Countless doctor visits, pain meds, physical therapy, etc. later, I still have no relief and have to take morphine pills twice a day. On top of being bent over like I was attempting to touch my toes, I ended up having to have emergency surgery for a bowel obstruction that couldve killed me three months after RNY. Yes, thinking of  another surgery has me scared. However, more scary to me is being morbidly obese for the rest of my life. Being MO places me at higher risk for certain cancers, heart disease, heart attack, diabetes, stroke, etc. The incidence is even higher for me because many of these diseases run in my family and I am African-American. Getting the DS done by a highly recommended and reputable surgeon has calmed my fears and given me hope. Best of luck to you in whatever decision you make!
StacysMom
on 3/6/10 12:55 pm
On March 6, 2010 at 5:31 PM Pacific Time, aqtnsc wrote:
When deciding on a surgery rather it be  the first time or  a revision PLEASE DO YOUR OWN  RESEARCH and ask opinions later. When conducting research, research clearly shows that  there is only one surgery that produces the best results long term. I made the mistake of believing that it was the RNY and had it done in 2007. Two plus years later I know now that the DS should've been my first choice. I would've still settled for the RNY because that or the Lap-band were the only two surgeries my insurance paid for. I was  desperate to lose weight so RNY it was . However, if I had a choice in the matter the first time and if my insurance covered it,  the DS would've been the first and last choice I'd have to make in my weight loss journey. No one made the decision for me to revise to the DS- no one researched the DS for me. I researched on my own and came to OH for support, suggestions, advice, etc after I made my decision. Coming to OH only confirmed that I have made the right decision! Ultimately, the only person that can decide which surgery is best for you is YOU!
 B-R-A-V-O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

This is what I have been telling people for almost two years now!!   I hope they listen when YOU tell them.    

Please warn anyone "revising" to the RNY, that once they cut their stomach up into that pouch, it SEVERELY limits the types of revisions readily available to them if they RNY fails them as well!   They should opt for the sleeve instead of the RNY (if they cannot get the DS) - that way, if and when their insurance will pay for the full DS (and if they find they need the malabsorptive component), it is an easy (if any surgery can be called "easy") addition, instead of having to track down one of the handful of MD's in the world who have the skill to take that RNY pouch, rebuild it into a stomach and then cut away the sleeve!
aqtnsc
on 3/7/10 2:47 pm
I read posts from individuals being revised to RNY that seemingly get offended when others try to educate them into not revising to an RNY. I sit back and shake my head because I see no logic in seeking positive feedback from vets about RNY vs DS when they have made up their mind to revise to RNY. I have yet to see someone encourage someone else to revise to an RNY. I even know ERNY patients that encourage others not to revise to the RNY. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I am just thankful that I made the decision to have the DS!
(deactivated member)
on 3/7/10 7:49 am - Bayonne, NJ
Amen!
aqtnsc
on 3/7/10 2:52 pm
Hey there my friend,
How are you? Hope the new job is going great for you thus far!
(deactivated member)
on 3/7/10 8:06 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Things are good, thanks! Work is good, they treat me well, and i have a lot of positives going on in  my personal life. I'm amazed at how much better everything is since I left the other job.  Hope all is well with you & your journey, too!
Most Active